Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:53 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
first month was i took some tasks off the other programmer and then sat on them.. and the second month i was caught tampering with the timer.. that one resulted in a good scare at the time and i really got my act together afterwards..
Now imagine how different things could have been had you not screwed around and just performed as expected. You may have gotten your act together, but you already jumped into the ditch and had a longer way to climb out. Unfortunately, they probably looked around and saw those who didn't jump into the ditch doing their job, so they just cut the dead weight away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:08 PM

615 posts, read 666,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Now imagine how different things could have been had you not screwed around and just performed as expected. You may have gotten your act together, but you already jumped into the ditch and had a longer way to climb out. Unfortunately, they probably looked around and saw those who didn't jump into the ditch doing their job, so they just cut the dead weight away.
Geeze. Now I feel bad for asking what he was docked for. Are you so weak that you need to kick a man when he is down?

Old 07-16-2015, 11:16 PM

20 posts, read 24,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
a lot of the screwing around happened during arguments / issues with wife, though i'm responsible too since i didn't do a good job of blocking my professional life from the domestic issues.. couple times i really wanted to walk out after an argument but the only thing that kept me was the fact that i work from home and would need to return to the "office" in the AM lol

Old 07-16-2015, 11:23 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z05 View Post
Geeze. Now I feel bad for asking what he was docked for. Are you so weak that you need to kick a man when he is down?
I'm not kicking him, he screwed up on his own and he's wondering what to do. The answer is next time do the job you were tasked with doing so you are not climbing out of a hole you dug for yourself. Employees need to realize that it's harder to go from a "needs improvment" to "exceed expectations" than it is to go from "meets" to "exceeds". Sure you may feel like you made a major accomplishment from climbing back from so far back, but reality is, to the employer, you never should have been back there to begin with so when the time comes, Bye-bye!

Old 07-16-2015, 11:40 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
For future jobs just say the company was downsizing and you were let go. It is true the company was downsizing, it is true you were let go.

As for relationship issues I highly suggest you two look into marriage counseling. Sounds like you guys have problems you need to find solutions to (and listen to each other) instead of just going in circles and arguing.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:05 AM

3 posts, read 2,613 times
I had a similar scenario once upon a time, they let me go after 3mos., BUT I had signed a contract W/them stating THEY would review performance at 6mos. They may be trying to AVOID your getting UE benefits. In my scenario, I found a book at the public library about what to do if you're fired, how to apply for UE, in that genre, read it cover-to-cover, appealed at theUE hearing, & for safety retained a lawyer who accompanied me to said hearings. Long story short, for r. Employer did try to "skate" out of payingUE, but the Dept. of Labor Administrative Law Judge ruled in MY favor times 2, I received both the UE & a small settlement from for r. Employer. Morale of the story?? The little guy can win! Good luck to you

P

Old 07-17-2015, 05:34 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Quote:
i did.. and that's when i got put on the PIP.. in the subsequent review i had the boss even mentioned that i no longer misused the timer.. and that was the first of the three months where i got a 3.. but yes i learned my lesson very much..

so what should i tell future employers exactly??

man my life's in shambles.. i'm on probation right now too cuz i got arrested over a really bad argument with the wife.. i have a masters degree in engineering and feel like a complete failure right now..
Accomplishment is NOT defined as "I no longer cheat". You SHOULD feel like a putz. You just got a kick in the a$$. If you are half the person you say you are (and this whole thing is not some made up hooey), you will step in and take control of your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
If you never fall, you'll never learn to stand back up. You'll always feel like a failure from the ground. Now get back up.
This^^^. Get up. Dust yourself off. LEARN from what being a bust has brought to your personal and professional life, and get going. Strong. Confident. Professional. AWARE that you are skating on thin ice and another bad life decision will have you asking, "would you like fries with that" for a LONG time. If that isn't what you want, then get a grip on yourself and stop acting like a train wreck on legs.

YOU can DO THIS. But only YOU.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:15 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,770 times
Put your wife on a PIP. If she only gets 3/5 for the next few months, show her the door.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:19 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
Quote:
never in hell do i ever want another stay-at-home job.. i felt myself desperately looking to get out just cuz of the arguments and also, i hate staying home all day.. i like being outside, but the job paid well..

how about just saying i got laid off?
Just say it was a "lay off." There is no point in divulging details as you apply for other jobs unless you are specifically asked. And even then, keep it vague and mention there was financial difficulty at your former company. Your former company sounds like it had financial issues and probably would have let you go anyway.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:46 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
never in hell do i ever want another stay-at-home job.. i felt myself desperately looking to get out just cuz of the arguments and also, i hate staying home all day.. i like being outside, but the job paid well..

how about just saying i got laid off?
Well - working remote is not for everyone.

As for saying you got laid off. That's up to you. You got some support on why that could be true. But reality states that until/unless this company goes under, any future employer could still call to verify your employment. At which point the fact that you were terminated with cause may (depending on their policy) come out.

Depending on the rest of your career history, you could also just not list this on your resume.

Or, just fess up and explain you simply weren't in the right environment. You don't need to go into details. But realized that distractions at home impacted your performance. If the job you're applying for isn't remote, perhaps they'll just let it go.

Best of luck in getting things back on track. I will also agree with the others that failure isn't always a bad thing. You just need to use it to your benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment