Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:39 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times

Advertisements

I work from home too and I always put the hours where I actually worked. If I didn't work that week, you think I'd be putting in hours?

Hell no.

You messed up big time with your job OP, not to mention your marriage but all is not lost. I would definitely call for a divorce if its not working. Also, definitely put that you were laid off for future employment.

Start getting your life together again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 01:52 AM

563 posts, read 523,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z05 View Post
How do you know the wife wasn't at fault? What is the % of female population in jail? Oh, its low because they are innocent...right. f that. or "if someone goes to jail, if someone is convicted, they are guilty". Count yourself as sheltered. PLENTY of innocent people get convicted of crimes, go to jail when they shouldn't, get shot by cops unarmed. Hell, just a couple weeks ago a guy won 2.1 million from being shot in the face in Seattle. I guess he deserved to be shot in the face unarmed walking away to attend to his child falling off a high chair?

Dear 505,

I believe that a person is basically responsible for their own life and what happens, The OP does not mention that the wife has kids or if the wife has a job. As presented by the OP, the wife is just there with nothing better to do than to distract her husband. NOT HER FAULT. Someone has to be the adult. He should have let hi wife know, that he is working and cannot be distracted. They a newly weds. It seems he is the sole provider. That is a real responsibility and she needs to know that. If she is bored, she should think about doing something else to entertain herself or occupy herself.

The tampering with time keeping warrants firing. I would have fired him. It shows a lack of character. Why would I keep someone that steals employed? There are too many other people out there that would love to have a job. Which is kind of what it comes down to; I don't think the OP is all that crazy about the job.

I think it is interesting that you take that wife's side in this imaginary scenario (info not based on what OP said, but what you have dreamed up.) Frustration and tension in their relationship is obvious. Police involvement is not a sigh of compatibility or stability.

All in all, the OP has some decisions to make.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:27 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Any chance work found out about your arrest and decided they didn't want to risk employing someone who couldn't keep his cool around his wife?

Old 07-19-2015, 06:49 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Keep in mind there is no job security these days and while being put on PIP is never good, you can be a stellar employee and still thrown under the bus. Examples from my own life:

1) First job: worked there 10 years, received raises and promotions noticeably more frequently than average. Got a performance-based raise in March of that year - and then was laid off in June?! Why? Nothing to do with performance, but everything to do with a sociopath department manager who flat out said he saw his job as "minimizing his department's expense to other departments." When the layoffs came, he gladly threw as many people under the bus as possible to achieve this goal. I was the senior guy in my group, so I got axed - and he got a nice promotion out of it. The story ends years later with lots more irony that worked out in my favor, thankfully, including the first tier managers who went along with this toolbag being stripped of having any direct report employees because of their screw-ups... lol...

2) Second job: This one was equally amusing, but in a different, deranged way. It was a lower-end job at a place with a host of problems - but I needed the job, so I put up with the crap. In the end, the place hit the wall financially, so the only people who remained were the connected cronies who had been there a decade or more. They flat-out told me they like my work but were borrowing money to pay the utility bill... so, yeah - no loss there. The funny part, of course, is that some of the connected cronies were so incompetent that they literally cost the company money with every action they took, but they were connected, and that's all that matters.

That being said, tampering with timecards is a HUGE mistake. Don't EVER do that - it can be grounds for immediate dismal, and in government contracting, it is a huge red flag.

So, yeah... good luck, keep my examples in mind, and I hope you can find a better direction.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:29 PM

20 posts, read 24,242 times
okay.. to everybody who says i should've been fired right at the spot when caught tampering with the timer.. completely understand that.. and at the time i was very thankful for staying there.. i got put in PIP bc i got 2/5 for two months, and that's their policy to do so.. and at my job before this one (and almost any job i've had), i've heard that 3/5 means that u meet expectations..

like i said, i covered the other guy when he was on vaca, and he has 20+ years of experience in this field (i only have 2 years now).. that was a very stressful week and i think i handled it fine.. he even mentioned it on that month's review as a positive point.. he had even sent out an email to the group lately thanking everyone (not a generic thank you.. more like mentioning all the sides of our group.. mentioned my name and the other guy who does the same work.. his name as "holding it down" for our end of things.. he even gave me new responsibilities.. and as of late, i had been on top of my work load.. when things would run a little low, i'd go out looking for more tasks to work.. he's sort of known to be a bit of a stickler, and as of late, he hadn't heckled me as much.. there was one instant a couple weeks ago where there was a high priority task (which are supposed to be updated daily) and he thought i hadn't updated it daily, so he emailed me about it.. i pointed out that i had, in fact, updated it daily, and he even said sorry.. so he was keeping up with what i was doing, and it seemed like he was content with my work output.. that day i got let go, he started the phone call mentioning that i had been put on PIP a few months ago, and i thought he was gonna take me off of it.. did NOT expect to get let go..

i just feel horribly misled i guess.. if he fired me on the spot with the timer issue i would've completely understood.. but i feel like i was led on here..

as for the family situation.. no kids.. lot of the drama has to do with my wife and mom absolutely hating each other and i'm dragged in the middle as the horrible buffer.. the incident where i was arrested happened bc i wanted to go see my parents, and my wife started blocking the door.. that argument got vicious and a neighbor called the cops.. i'm on "pre-trial probation" anyways so i don't think it's the <legal> end of the world for me anyways..

but i feel like i've been thru wayyy too much.. but that's another issue..

Old 07-19-2015, 09:00 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

That being said, tampering with timecards is .

being a thieve.

Lets stop sugar-coating it.

Notice OP did not reply when asked if he offered to be docked to repay the stolen money.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:25 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post

as for the family situation.. no kids.. lot of the drama has to do with my wife and mom absolutely hating each other and i'm dragged in the middle as the horrible buffer.. the incident where i was arrested happened bc i wanted to go see my parents, and my wife started blocking the door.. that argument got vicious and a neighbor called the cops.. i'm on "pre-trial probation" anyways so i don't think it's the <legal> end of the world for me anyways..

but i feel like i've been thru wayyy too much.. but that's another issue..
You need to be sure that you don't end up with a criminal record as that will make your job search a nightmare. If the wife isn't pressing charges, then it is a disorderly conduct or some misdemeanor like that? You need qualified legal advice but there is possibly some way to get probation before judgement or something where they hold your record and if there are no further issues it gets automatically expunged.

I'd say you were laid off and you need to keep your relationship with your mother and wife completely separate. They should have no contact at all with each other. You visit your mother on your own and don't talk about your mother with your wife and don't talk about your wife with your mother. It's going to be tough but I think that is the only way that can work out.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
okay.. to everybody who says i should've been fired right at the spot when caught tampering with the timer.. completely understand that.. and at the time i was very thankful for staying there.. i got put in PIP bc i got 2/5 for two months, and that's their policy to do so.. and at my job before this one (and almost any job i've had), i've heard that 3/5 means that u meet expectations..

.. that day i got let go, he started the phone call mentioning that i had been put on PIP a few months ago, and i thought he was gonna take me off of it.. did NOT expect to get let go..
As others have said, many companies use PIP as a paper trail to justify a firing not to actually improve an employee. The decision to let you go may have been made the moment you falsified the timer but it just wasn't a convenient time for them to implement it. You probably were led on. That's how it works in the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment