Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 09:20 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

Never heard of such a thing. Then again, I work in the public sector. We pay for our own holiday parties. I understand that some of you get them for free. They certainly wouldn't buy us lunch, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:38 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Never heard of such a thing. Then again, I work in the public sector. We pay for our own holiday parties. I understand that some of you get them for free. They certainly wouldn't buy us lunch, lol.
dont worry, the private sector pays your meals upon retirement

Old 07-19-2015, 10:35 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,906,106 times
Alot of the private sector isn't much better. Been with this company for over a decade.

We used to get holiday turkeys, and were allowed to leave around 2PM on the day before Thanksgiving and Christmas. The turkeys became vouchers for turkeys. That stopped.

At the same time, 2PM dismissal became 3PM and of course it went to 4PM. Now we just sit and remember the "good ol' days" as we wait for the clock to strike 5!

But, at least it's a job and the paychecks are on time...

Old 07-19-2015, 10:43 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,639,923 times
Alot more fun and variety if all were involved in a food day where everyone if they choose can bring their favorite dessert,casserole,salad whatever. Seems alot of what could be considered profit to a company is going for food and not appropriate. Like whats next for the group?

Old 07-19-2015, 10:46 AM

348 posts, read 415,628 times
In San Francisco, I worked for a place that had catered lunches offered up buffet-style a couple times a week. There were a couple caterers they liked using, but they'd also rotate in platters from various other places like Panera (soup, sandwiches, and salad) or a Chinese place. It was nice because at least they would have 2-3 different things to eat and tried really hard to ensure that there was a choice of meats / meat-free, and even dairy-free.
In Austin, TX I have seen a few places that offer free lunch every day. The choices are not very good, though, and I just bring my lunch because I've been on a pretty restrictive diet anyway.

Honestly...
Like others have mentioned...
I'd rather just get a raise. Sometimes the "perks" just really aren't. I remember at one of the employers, they actually had a print-out they gave us showing the "value" of all the benefits we received and calculated it into my estimated pay. I thought that was kind of a cheap thing to do to be honest. Oh hey, we are putting up a bag of poop for you as a benefit. We estimate this is a $100/month value of fertilizer for you to use for your fabulous garden. Look how well-paid you are. >_>

But to answer the OP's actual question, it's not entirely unheard of in some areas / work environments.

-T.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:53 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Forget that. You got money to pass around bagels, you got money to give me a raise.
I would rather just have the free bagel than a $1/day raise. $1/day would have no impact on my life. To each their own.

My last employer has a free cafeteria that was open 24/7. My current employer has a free cafeteria that is open only during work hours. It's nice to have fresh organic food prepared for you so you don't have to waste your time making it or getting it.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:18 AM

29,795 posts, read 24,876,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I would rather just have the free bagel than a $1/day raise. $1/day would have no impact on my life. To each their own.

My last employer has a free cafeteria that was open 24/7. My current employer has a free cafeteria that is open only during work hours. It's nice to have fresh organic food prepared for you so you don't have to waste your time making it or getting it.
I find the whole business culture of "what can I do besides paying more to keep good employees" insulting.

I can, and prefer to prepare my own meals. I wish employers would quit treating employees like grown children.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I find the whole business culture of "what can I do besides paying more to keep good employees" insulting.

I can, and prefer to prepare my own meals. I wish employers would quit treating employees like grown children.
Not everyone is obsessed with money. A lot of people value time. Perks like free meals, free dry cleaning, free health insurance, onsite gyms and spas etc. save time and money. It gives them more time to spend with their family and doing the things they love.

Some people just value money above everything else. These employers are not catering to those people. They also understand that $1/day isn't going to impact the bottom line for most people. For you it might, but that's a good sign that your not the right match for these specific companies. That's fine as there's opportunities out there for everyone. Just have to find the right fit.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:45 AM

989 posts, read 1,876,305 times
These little types of perks used to be common for the ages in many places. I've been in the work force for well over 20 years. It's the little things like this that employees enjoy, and gets them motivated. Unfortunately, these little perks are almost unheard of today with most employers.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:31 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
When I worked in the private sector 15-20 years ago, the bosses took us out to lunch a couple of times per month and often brought in soft drinks, bagels, donuts, etc. It wasn't anything scheduled, unless it was a staff meeting. I think it's a very nice perk. Raises morale and lets employees get to know each other and the bosses more easily. I really liked working there, and not just for the free lunches; we were treated very well overall.

Those saying they'd rather have a raise: Getting your lunch free on Wednesdays probably costs the company an average of ten bucks per employee. Ten dollars per week is not going to be a raise that anyone is going to be happy with; paying for sandwiches or salads or Chinese food makes more of an immediate impact and makes the employees happier than a whopping $10 extra in the paycheck will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment