Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:55 AM

396 posts, read 512,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Serious advice: do not have children.
That ship has sailed. I'm a grandparent now and from the tone of my post, as I'm sure you can tell, a product of a bygone generation where hard work and loyalty were rewarded. Now people have become expendable (aka "the drones in sector 7-G"). I do fear for my children and my grandchild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 08:54 AM

765 posts, read 986,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Wow, I have to wonder what age group you are in and if you've kept up with the work environment and pattern of layoffs and "downsizings" in this country over the past 20 years. Or perhaps you are a government worker? Today's work world in the private sector is not like that of the past. You can work hard, have a terrific work ethic, exceed the expected, and be fiercely loyal to your company - and be handed a pink slip on any given Friday afternoon. That's the reality.
I haven't worked in private sector in years
I been a government employees for years now
I left the private sector long ago it has no respect for personal time off and offers no stability
The private sector employee with Job Security are very few and far in between

If you want job security the closest you will get is working for the government.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:48 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBea View Post
That ship has sailed. I'm a grandparent now and from the tone of my post, as I'm sure you can tell, a product of a bygone generation where hard work and loyalty were rewarded. Now people have become expendable (aka "the drones in sector 7-G"). I do fear for my children and my grandchild.
Someone who get's it, thank you. There was a time when companies rewarded loyal and hard-working employees with job security. For my parents, job layoffs were not even on their radar. People are now very expendable, the "numbers" are what matters.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
I have worked in the private sector doing engineering work or decades. Needless to say, I've been laid off numerous times. But when jobs were widely available that wasnt a problem. If you want security, the Federal government, not State or Local, is the choice. And serve in the military first to get the veterans preference.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:12 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
Lack of job security for me has been terrible. I've been a contract employee for 5 years and for me that has always meant no benefits, no PTO/vacation, and a layoff at the end of the project/contract. It's distressing and it seems more and more jobs are unfortunately going this route.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:59 AM

35,074 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Lack of job security for me has been terrible. I've been a contract employee for 5 years and for me that has always meant no benefits, no PTO/vacation, and a layoff at the end of the project/contract. It's distressing and it seems more and more jobs are unfortunately going this route.
I am not a W-2, but was for about a year. It was the most horrible experience of my life and I completely concur too many jobs are going down this road.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:12 AM

930 posts, read 700,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The un/underemployment situations of the last few years has largely been the focus of the forums, but do you think a lack of job security is an even worse issues? Among those who are employed, many don't feel secure in their jobs, at least secure enough to make major commitments like purchasing a home, having a baby, etc. Even though I have what I think is secure employment, I'm still tentative about committing to anything on a firmer basis.

Do you think this real or perceived lack of job security is an even bigger detriment overall than un/underemployment?
I think you hit on a very important point, OP, that needs to be addressed in the very near future. The lack of job security in today's job market is indeed frightening and impactful. I worked for a company previously that constantly let people go each year and for no apparent reason. Perhaps they weren't performing at some accelerated pace that management wanted them to? That's my assumption, at least. It definitely made me hesitant to make any large investments, because when would my number be up? Along with the stressful environment, that's ultimately why I had to make the decision to leave. Otherwise, I was never going to be confident enough to move on in my personal life (buy a home, go back to school, start a family, etc.).

Companies who operate in such a manner are absolutely crushing the lives of their workforce. Furthermore, they're creating an undesirable workplace. How can a company become truly successful with such a high rate of attrition in its workforce? It really can't. The bottom line is that that we don't live to work, we work to live. And if you don't have a job that is able to provide a comfortable lifestyle (with respect to security, not luxuries), your life is going to be dismal and abhorrent.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:09 AM

35,074 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
I think you hit on a very important point, OP, that needs to be addressed in the very near future. The lack of job security in today's job market is indeed frightening and impactful. I worked for a company previously that constantly let people go each year and for no apparent reason. Perhaps they weren't performing at some accelerated pace that management wanted them to? That's my assumption, at least. It definitely made me hesitant to make any large investments, because when would my number be up? Along with the stressful environment, that's ultimately why I had to make the decision to leave. Otherwise, I was never going to be confident enough to move on in my personal life (buy a home, go back to school, start a family, etc.).

Companies who operate in such a manner are absolutely crushing the lives of their workforce. Furthermore, they're creating an undesirable workplace. How can a company become truly successful with such a high rate of attrition in its workforce? It really can't. The bottom line is that that we don't live to work, we work to live. And if you don't have a job that is able to provide a comfortable lifestyle (with respect to security, not luxuries), your life is going to be dismal and abhorrent.
Agreed. Basically I am at a point now where I don't feel secure. The focus here seems to be "up or out" and my boss is pushing me "up," but 3/6 of the people who have held the job I'd be going into have either resigned or are going out the door, and one is brand new. I don't feel like I do the job well as it stands now, and the track record is concerning.

I was actually looking at property locally, but over the past few months, I don't feel secure enough in my job to feel comfortable buying. Since I'm probably going to have to find something else anyway, I'm thinking about just moving to Florida or the Carolinas (where I'd rather be) as soon as something there comes up, rather than trying to stay here and find something else.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:38 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
I have been trying to figure out how to do this for years now, in order to "own the place" you have to purchase real property which this day and time is extremely expensive. So where does that seed money come from? Do you take a massive loan and leverage yourself out? If you do that then you cant afford a bad month and that "ownership" can quickly become a nightmare, because in reality you don't own anything, the bank does. Loan duration is also a big deal, if you can afford to front enough money such that you only need a loan for 5 years and can easily make the payments in a bad month then your gold.

I have been doing a lot of research around the country and there are fewer and fewer places that do not have huge financial barriers to entry. The break even points on some of this real estate can be more than 30 years.

I am trying to develop my own business that is not dependent upon being in a high real estate area but my day job that puts money in the bank is in a high real estate area and when compared to the costs it takes to put up even metal frame structures with a concrete pad my save rate is fairly paltry and I make 6 figures.

I suppose I could just slowly buy equipment and a yard that is away from a high real estate and then hire people to run it but then you have to make enough money off the jobs to maintain all the equipment plus be able to take enough of an income so that you don't care if you get fired from your day job or not.

The trick is keeping the side income as passive as possible because as soon as you have to start sinking a significant amount of time into it then you are wore out when you have to perform at your day job which is financing this whole side business in the first place.

You could form partnerships and LLC's but how many people do you know who you cant even get to show up to a BBQ let alone commit significant assets to a common goal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why does everyone want a job? I don't know of too many people getting rich from a job. My problem is not that I could lose my job, it is that they will keep me so long that I lose the desire to build my own business. I have a great job at an amazing company. It is so good that many times it takes that motivation to do something even better away.

The real opportunities are when you can build a business of your own and grow that business into something great.

The real deal is that a job gives you this false sense of security. You think that as long as you are doing all you can that you will have a job. You show up everyday, you are never late, you do that little extra, you are a joy to be around, you are a real company person. Your life is what you do and where you work. Then one day the company calls and tells you that you are no longer needed anymore. That happens and it does not matter how good of worker you were. I just do not see any security in that system.

Real security is when you own the place. You call the shots. You get all the benefits as well.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:45 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
This is generally only a problem with the cesspool private sector with greedy corrupt leadership who any time they feel like buying a second yacht or house , here come the layoffs. If you're going to work full time, public sector is pretty much the only way to go now. More job security and you won't be nearly as abused
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment