Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:49 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times

Advertisements

How do you rejuvenate when you feel burned out of work and your feeling toward work is "blah"? Ignoring the need for work due to bills, how do you get back that "first job" excitement back.

I been at my current company (first real job out of univ) for 8 years now. I have changed jobs several times but with in the same building. Most of the job changes were dictated by the company & I happily took the challenge of something new. But lately I feel very "bla" about work. I don't think changing to another job in the company will give me that drive I once had when I started my career 8 year ago or even 3 years ago when they switched me for the 5th time to a new job.

I really don't want to leave the company to find "excitement" because I am truly in a good place but to be honest, I didn't think I would be working this long here. I thought by the time I hit my 30, I will have a baby or 2 and will be taking short career break to be stay home mom but I still don't have kids which means I have no valid reason to take break from work. Vacation just isn't long enough break to rejuvenate myself to be at work.

Anyone else feel the burn/lack of interest at their work? After how long did you feel it & how did you get it back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 10:58 AM

850 posts, read 901,828 times
I feel you. I work as an entry level associate chemist and my job is very repetitive and boring. I am generally running the same samples over and over again and the pay is not that great. I only been work for this job for 6 months and I already feel the need for a change. How are your co-workers? Are there fun to talk and easy to hold a conversation with. Talking to coworkers about outside the job things might spice up your job a little bit.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:04 AM

396 posts, read 512,409 times
There are lots of good articles online about coping with burnout, but every situation is unique. I suffered burnout for personal reasons (caring for aging/dying parents while raising a family and working full time). It all came to a head shortly after the new year, a couple of months after my mother died. What worked for me was an extended vacation, coupled with anti-depressants and counseling. After about a year, I felt rejuvenated to the point where I could return to my job and be a good employee. However, I had the luxury of my husband's employment keeping the ship afloat and the luck of having a job to return to when I was ready (my employer gave me no guarantees, only that I could come back. I wanted to be in my old department and it just so happened a position became available about the time I wanted to go back to work).

If no such options are open to you, take a good honest look at where you are and where you'd like to be. See what's out there in terms of employment. If financially feasible, explore the possibility of going back to school with an eye towards career change. Take my word for it, burnout does not simply go away on its own once it starts, not without some action on your part, whether it be seeking support or developing healthy coping mechanisms (as examples).

Old 07-21-2015, 03:16 PM

I would love to take a year off break and come back to work. I remember when I first started working & didn't establish a post-college personal life. I would relax soo much on the weekend that I was bored out of my mind & Monday seem like new year/new beginning/new challenge for me. Friday I hated work but Sunday night I couldn't wait to be back to doing something.

Now my personal life and weekends are super full and I need a weekend from weekend. I would love a long break and be tired from boredom that I look forward to work. I took almost a month vacation & that was great but I had lot of fun too so no desire to get back to work. It just made me realize how much of life I am missing out by this 8-5 deal. But I cant justify packing my bag & calling it quit for no good reason. Its like society trained us to feel guilty if we aren't working

Old 07-21-2015, 03:25 PM

Would it be possible for you to work part time/job share? It sounds like you're burning the candle at both ends with no down time. That's enough for anyone to burn out, eventually. If cutting back on your hours isn't doable, are you in a position where you could take yourself out of the rat race for awhile? I know there are risks involved in doing that, but burnout can lead to serious health/psychological issues.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:45 PM

615 posts, read 665,623 times
How is your personal life outside work? Focus on that if there is room for improvement. That can offset boring stretches at work.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:53 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
How do you rejuvenate when you feel burned out of work and your feeling toward work is "blah"? Ignoring the need for work due to bills, how do you get back that "first job" excitement back.

I demand a pay raise.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:01 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Go on vacation for a couple months. Then come back. It feels like a new job every time.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Go on vacation for a couple months. Then come back. It feels like a new job every time.

How is it possible to go on vacation for few months and still keep your job? I get 4 weeks vacation which to be honest is better than most people I know. Even then taking 4 weeks continuously seem like a challenge in work place. Most people take 1-2 weeks together at max unless they are foreigners & need to travel oversea. I wish we had European culture of staring work 6 weeks and taking month off for vacation is no big deal.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:48 AM

Since you're trying to cope with burnout, take FMLA. It's 12 weeks, albeit unpaid, but might be just what you need. Couple that with 4 weeks of vacation, you can possibly get up to 16 continuous weeks off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment