Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
"Attendance" has nothing do do with using benefits like vacation time.
^This. I work in the finance field and we are required by law to take 1-2 weeks (consecutive) vacation every years. It's regulated and documented. There's additional vacation time on top of the mandatory time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 09:24 AM

905 posts, read 791,109 times
As a manager, neither of those impress me AT ALL. As someone else said it's what you do when you're supposed to be in the office that counts most, by far. What impresses me is employees who ask for time off with enough advance notice I can plan and coordinate to accommodate them, and don't ask for significant time off when either myself or or others on the team already have time off scheduled. I don't want people not taking time off and working themselves into the ground, that does nobody any good in the long run.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:36 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Neither

Old 07-25-2015, 11:19 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
You'll be remembered for what you did, not what you did not do (not take vacation). It's the other 50 weeks that count and what you do with them.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:42 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
In my workplace, it would not impress anyone for someone to not use their vacation time.
This. I would not even acknowledge either situation in an annual review. Vacation is a benefit given to our employees, and if they choose to not take it, I think they're foolish. I certainly wouldn't pat them on the back in their annual review.

YMMV if you work for a horrific company or boss, of course.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:47 AM

173 posts, read 165,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromNY View Post
Still even if an employee puts in a vacation request months in advance, there's no way to know if something will come up. So is it best to cancel last minute, or not schedule at all? Either way that dedication, dependability and reliability are good employee qualities.
If your planning a vacation that far ahead. You should be having a good sense or accuracy of your organizations slow periods.

If your new and your planning your first paid vacation you should really be having this conversation with your boss, supervisor, and or trusted senior colleague/mentor.

Your question shouldn't be posed as it is here either. It should be I am up for my first vacation when is a good time to make it for? When are we slow? Etc etc etc

Quote:
SNot everyone is "entitled" to vacation.
I loved this response. Who exactly isn't entitled to vacation? Barring people who didn't put in a full year. Which seems to be the norm.

Who isn't entitled and why?

I am not picking on you either. I really want to know your opinion on that.

Quote:
Must be a culture difference between SC and NYC. Here, we do what we must to meet any deadline.
I am from the tri state as well. This is a common mentality. It's a sickness really.

There are always deadlines, quotas, demanding clients etc. None of that is mission critical it's just business. In the event of mission critical which is so rare for most organizations to experience only a few times a decade. Go ahead and ask your boss. Do you need me to cancel vacation to see this through?

If yes, do it! That's cool but before you leave that conversation secure compensation for cancellation fees etc. Like another poster mentioned.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:10 PM

308 posts, read 446,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Wizard View Post
I loved this response. Who exactly isn't entitled to vacation? Barring people who didn't put in a full year. Which seems to be the norm.

Who isn't entitled and why?
As far as I know there are no states with laws stating that employees MUST take a certain number of paid days off per year.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:37 PM

173 posts, read 165,090 times
Quote:
As far as I know there are no states with laws stating that employees MUST take a certain number of paid days off per year.

Ok Cool, I understand your reasoning now.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:01 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Not states, but in some cases, there are federal regulations mandating it - in banking and finance, people in certain positions are required to take 2 consecutive weeks of vacation every year, so that they cannot come up with schemes to embezzle money. By having someone else doing that job for the 2 weeks, that would be enough time for most criminal activity to come to light.

Philip Delves Broughton: Take Those Two Weeks Off

And honestly, even if you consider yourself indispensable, what better way to prove it than by demonstrating that things fall apart when you are gone? Of course, if that doesn't happen, it means you aren't indispensable - no one is, actually. If you got hit by a bus tomorrow, your employer would manage to keep going.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
I was just wondering, which would look more impressive to an employer when review time comes around. An employee that goes the entire year without taking any vacation, or one that will schedule a vacation, but if projects are due during the time they are scheduled to be off will cancel plans and come in to work.
I think its depends on what is need on their job. At times when it needed canceling or more properly delaying vacations is common. Only the could careless does not look at the welfare of company as their future .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment