Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 07:26 PM

7,961 posts, read 4,952,534 times

Advertisements

Any work environment that promotes on merit and value will be the best and you don't have a constant revolving door of employees from one month to the next. . Sadly, environments like these don't really exist in corporate America anymore. They are extremely few and far between.

At one time I worked for a fantastic company and it only took a handful of people to barge in and turn it into he tenth level of hell within 2-3 years. A company that was around for longer than a century, they managed to run into the ground in 2-3 years. That takes some real talent of crappiness

If you're lucky enough to find an employer who values their workforce, don't leave. Its a nightmare out there

Last edited by DorianRo; 10-18-2018 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 12:00 PM

740 posts, read 452,120 times
When I became self employed. I realize at a young age, I hate having a boss. I hate working for someone else. I hate that someone else determines my future, my pay, my promotion, my career, etc.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:52 PM

4,268 posts, read 6,276,294 times
The job before my current one was my best.

1) Amazing boss - if she called tomorrow to ask me to come work for her again, I would
2) 100% flexibility - could work from home whenever I wanted to, could work whatever hours I wanted to
3) Trusted by others that I could do my job - no micromanaging AT ALL
4) Coworkers were fantastic
5) Rewarded for a job well-done with three promotions in ~8 years.

Why did I leave? Boss transferred to another area and could not take me with her. New boss was not nearly as engaged in the work and I lost all inspiration as a result. It was time for me to go.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:30 PM

11,143 posts, read 7,907,176 times
Decent pay, flexible schedule, good benefits like health insurance, flight benefits, 10 sick days, 3 weeks paid vacation, 5 paid personal days, company matched 401k, discounts on travel, hotels, rental cars. Discounts on other airlines...

Old 10-23-2018, 10:47 PM

22,010 posts, read 19,112,807 times
One of the best jobs i had was because of a boss who recognized and built on people's strengths. We gladly went above and beyond for her. She was positive and enthusiastic and appreciated us and really brought out the best in us.

Also when it came time for bonuses she took the entire pot of money (usually divided among about 5 people on the team) and she gave it all to me. Biggest bonus I ever received, then or since. She said (a) I deserved it and (b) they all had much higher salaries (I was the most junior person.)

Best boss I ever had.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:48 PM

48 posts, read 30,912 times
Every job except my previous job had many employees state that before the economy hit, this place was the best place to work.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:35 AM

5,428 posts, read 4,433,360 times
1. My first supervisor at this job was everything that you could ever ask for in a supervisor. We had an amazing dialogue, he was patient, and he worked to maximize the skills I brought to the team for the betterment of the team as a whole. It was too bad that he was only there for the first year and a half of my tenure there.

2. The company itself did well in the first 2.5 years I was there.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:41 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,479,144 times
1.) I was a training supervisor for a ski school and got to teach new employees about something I loved and was passionate about.

2.) My boss was hands off (in a good way) and trusted me to do what needed to be done.

3.) We had a core group of about 8 of us who became good friends while we worked there.

4.) I got to ski for free when I wasn't working and I got paid to do it while I was.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:44 AM

11,035 posts, read 6,586,897 times
I spent 9 years at a magnificent place on the Colorado River. Made great money for the area ($30/hr.) ; flexible schedule, half the year off with full unemployment. We were taken to Las Vegas twice and treated luxuriously. Health care provided; sick days, vacation days. We all felt very valued. I'd work on a moment's notice on my days off, if needed. 8 minutes from home; no traffic. For all those years, it seemed too good to be true.

The last year, it all changed. New management and what had been heaven, became Hades. "We don't care about seniority" was one new mantra. Age discrimination and flagrant disregard for loyalty and the meritocracy.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:03 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,556,765 times
1/ Great management
2/ Appreciated by management and team
3/ True teamwork
4/ Flexible schedules
5/ Defined performance expectations
6/ Regular feedback about performance (good or bad)
7/ From time to time, we would have catered lunch
8. Endless advancement opportunities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment