Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:55 PM

609 posts, read 808,471 times

Advertisements

I am jealous of those people. There. I said it.

This brings back a funny memory. In elementary school when we would do the magazine fundraiser (where you sell as many magazine subscriptions as you can) the rich kids that you speak of would always sell WAAAAAY more than anyone else and get the huge prize for selling so many.

How did they do it? By selling subscriptions to ALL the employees at dad's company who wanted to brown-nose to the boss and his kid.

So annoying. They've had it easy their whole life.

I am also jealous that they get out of college with NO COLLEGE DEBT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 02:23 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post

This brings back a funny memory. In elementary school when we would do the magazine fundraiser (where you sell as many magazine subscriptions as you can) the rich kids that you speak of would always sell WAAAAAY more than anyone else and get the huge prize for selling so many.

How did they do it? By selling subscriptions to ALL the employees at dad's company who wanted to brown-nose to the boss and his kid.

I'm not jealous at all. They will be looked down all their life as persons who got their position because they are "son of John Smith".
You don't need to be son of "important person" to get out of college without debts. You can be an immigrant like me who got his degrees in his homeland

Old 07-27-2015, 04:09 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Exactly!
Getting a doctorate from Oxford is no small feat.
What are the bush girls doing with their lives these days
Jenna married a politician's son and became a writer and NBC news correspondent (like Chelsea). Now, she makes money just by breathing, and there's plenty more where that came from.

After Yale, Barbara used her family connections to found Global Health Corps., and she's currently the CEO.

... Unless your question was rhetorical, in which case we will just pretend that the Bush twins faded into obscurity and poverty, and we all live in a meritocracy.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:13 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyStoner View Post
Does anyone else see examples of this?

* Kid of well-to-do family parties throughout college and has no work experience or marketable degree or marketable skills

* Can't find good job on his/her own

* Family or family's friends get him a high-paying job at their company

On the one hand, I'm jealous of these people, but on the other hand I see it as a form of upper-class welfare. Oftentimes the job the person gets is one that wasn't even needed by the company but was "created" to employ the person. Really, it's like a form of charity in disguise. Might as well outright transfer money to the kid.
One of NY's senators was just convicted of lying to the FBI {felony}. The Lie? was about whether or not he used his influence to get his son a great job at a top law firm.

State Senator Tom Libous found guilty of lying to the FBI | New York Post

NY is NOT done with "corruption" against it's highest officials:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/29/ny...case.html?_r=0

I wouldn't trade to be in their shoes...

I am "lucky" to be run of the mill middle income raised {at a time when it could}.
I am Heinz 57 varieties!

Old 07-27-2015, 05:20 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post

In elementary school, my kids had that magazine drive, too. One of my sons won the top prize one year. How? Well, he hoofed it through the neighborhood, then hoofed it through the next neighborhood over, and after that, hoofed it through the neighborhood after that (with me following at a distance - he was only 10 years). He was (and still is) a persistent little bugger. He won it fair and square.

He also graduated with zero college debt (and with honors) from a private university. How? We saved, he worked, he saved, and he got scholarships. It can be done.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:31 PM

431 posts, read 449,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
McKinsey recruits a lot of people from Stanford and $120k is not unreasonable for that company.
uh.. that is what I said.

but they don't usually recruit history majors (even from Stanford), unless they have some special background, like speaking fluent Arabic, or ... having a dad who was the President of the United States.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
but they don't usually recruit history majors (even from Stanford), unless they have some special background, like speaking fluent Arabic, or ... having a dad who was the President of the United States.
Or graduating near the top of the class from Stanford. Remember Stanford is not a small state university.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:12 PM

529 posts, read 508,287 times
It's only deplorable if it isn't happening to me...

Nepitisim me into something and I want blink at the seeming unfairness of it. Nothing is fair anyway. If it were fair hundreds of millions of people wouldn't be starving or within clean water. Where and who you are born to can make all the difference.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:22 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Come to Manhattan, you will find plenty

Old 07-27-2015, 11:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
It depends upon the field though. Certain disciplines don't lend themselves favorably to nepotism (medicine, science, etc), but if the job is related to bringing in additional business/fundraising, then the famous child potentially has more lateral connections to generate new business/investments, etc. Not sure exactly what Chelsea is doing for a living, but she can pick up the phone and have heads of state and captains of industry at he beckon call, that would be worth a great deal to many businesses.
Being a doctor is not like ER (TV show), or House. It can be pretty routine for the most part.

Not every "scientist" is discovering some ground breaking new concept or theory.

These are not cut throat occupations.

Nepotism can permeate anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment