Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 PM

30 posts, read 59,000 times

Advertisements

I am leaving my current job because I do not like the terms of the new contract they are asking me to sign. Once I saw the contract, I decided that I would resign. I resigned and told my supervisor that I am leaving because of the contract's terms. Today, just a few days after resigning, I was offered a new job. Should I tell my supervisor that I will be working someplace else? Our industry is small so she is likely to find out. I am also worried about what might happen when/if they call her for a reference check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:49 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
I'm not understanding? You resigned. You told them you're leaving. You got a new job. Sounds like a natural progression.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:53 PM

I know. I'm probably worrying needlessly. I'm concerned because when I resigned and she asked why, I didn't mention getting a new job. Now there is a new job and I'm worried that it might appear that I was dishonest and that could color any sort of reference she would give me. The company I am going to is a competitor, if that matters.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:55 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
You resigned already. Whether you're going to another company or hanging out in the mountains of Nepal with Buddhists monks is immaterial. There's nothing to inform the company about.

Last edited by jaypee; 07-27-2015 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 05:59 PM

Thank you both. I tend to worry about everything. I should probably pay the Psychology forum a visit here... :-)

Old 07-27-2015, 06:23 PM

615 posts, read 666,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyKnight View Post
I am leaving my current job because I do not like the terms of the new contract they are asking me to sign. Once I saw the contract, I decided that I would resign. I resigned and told my supervisor that I am leaving because of the contract's terms. Today, just a few days after resigning, I was offered a new job. Should I tell my supervisor that I will be working someplace else? Our industry is small so she is likely to find out. I am also worried about what might happen when/if they call her for a reference check.
No. Just have a short convo saying how much you liked working there and you are sorry you couldn't accept the terms of the contract.

The point is to communicate so that you leave on good terms. This company is your reference now for years to come.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:31 PM

163 posts, read 247,330 times
I guess on your last day if they ask you what you are doing then maybe tell them you found a new job.

The reference thing is a bit trickier. I've called references who both talk up the potential hire and also some that didn't speak very nicely. I take both attitudes with a grain of salt. I just want to verify employment and ask if they did what they said they did on a resume or during an interview. That's just me though.

If I interviewed you and you said you were leaving because you didn't want to sign a new contract, and I called your old boss for a reference and they talked a lot of bad about you, I'd put it together and realize that it probably wasn't a great place to work. I wouldn't hold it against you. Again, that's just me though.

Good luck and enjoy your new job!

Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
As long as you weren't under a non-compete agreement you'll be fine.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:19 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
You started looking for a new job because of a contract that you found unacceptable. You informed your manager that the contract was unacceptable. You have been offered a new job elsewhere.

Prepare a letter of resignation to give your manager with lots of platitudes. The manager didn't write the contract so no need to jump on him or her but because that contract is an issue there is no harm in mentioning it as the reason you sought employment elsewhere. Keep in mind the fact that this person may be a source of professional references in the future.

There is no need to tell you manager anything about your new job. If it is a small world s/he will find out in due time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment