Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 05:53 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,355,022 times

Advertisements

Well I am hoping to ride my current job until retirement. I save more than 1/2 my take home so I can either retire early or go back to college to retrain in a different field rather than ever deal with permatemp crap ever again. If I can jump into a fed job like Chemist 1320 series or similar or perhaps transition to something else in the food industry that would also be wise but unfortunately my training was more pharma centric than food science. However, I won't even anwser the phone for staffing agencies nor accept LinkedIN invites from them. I also would never allow anyone in my family to major in science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,597,669 times
Id say the length of time highly depend on:

1) what field did you major in? While one may argue that there are no 100 % guarantee "major in X and you will never be unemployed" , there are fields that are definitely seen as "more employable" than others.

2) Do you bring any internship, prior work experience? If you did nothing but class-dorm/home for the past 4 years, it will typically be harder to find work. Remember the new "entry level" is "we want 2-3 year previous experience".

3) Do you know of anyone who is able to get you the job directly or at least to the in-person interview?

All 3 points are valid, but to be quite blunt knowing someone, having that "in" can be incredibly tremendous. I know people with "useless" degrees working decent-good jobs because he/she had a cousin, sister, family friend whatever etc.... to get him/her that in.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 PM

163 posts, read 245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Im in IT it took meet 3 weeks to get a job, it was a help desk job.
In my area I would say that it takes most people 5-9 months to find a degree related job after graduation if they are trying (assuming they have a useful degree and know how to interview). Trying means taking a low paying if necessary that is degree related for that experience.

Mr. Professional probably didn't need a comp sci or IT degree to get a helpdesk job. But he took the job, and assuming he has a degree, he will be much more marketable for the next step up. This is something that I see so many grads failing to do.

Too many grads who think their degree entitles them to an 80K job and won't take anything else (or whatever is considered high in your area).

Old 07-30-2015, 06:28 AM

306 posts, read 514,609 times
In my area of Accounting most people have internships with a company that will hire them upon graduation, or a pending job offer. Otherwise I guess a few months.

If you have poor grades it could be tougher... it will take a little bit of time and you will have to look for those lower AR/AP type jobs or just go right for your Masters/CPA.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:21 AM

92 posts, read 115,622 times
Yes, it most definitely depends on many different variables. No doubt. Some have jobs before graduation (like myself). Others get jobs weeks-months out of college, while others may not. I think it may also have something to do with being at the right place at the right time. Also, if you think any of the people I mention below are getting rich, you are most likely mistaken (myself included, but I will definitely be living comfortably).

I was lucky enough to be offered both an amazing 6 month internship position, and a full-time position a month before I even graduated from college. I ended up taking the full-time position, and it still pains me a little that I had to decline the internship position given the company and opportunities that would have come with it. Literally, they chose one person from nearly 5,000 from all across the country & I was that person, ugh. Still, it was a good confidence booster knowing both were interested in me.

A good friend of mine who went for early childhood special education just landed her first teaching job in PA. Which from what I hear, is pretty near impossible to do. Normally have to go out of state, then return a few years later to get one. Took her roughly 2 months to do it. In comparison, I know another girl who had the same major and will be moving to NC for her first teaching job.

Have another friend who worked in PR/journalism, and he got a job about 2 weeks after graduating college.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:47 AM

13,639 posts, read 12,293,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorena View Post
Okay so let me rephrase it.

Is it strange or uncommon for a college graduate to go unemployed for 2 months after graduation?

My mom thinks something is wrong here but to me I think 2 months since I graduated is kinda expected, especially considering my industry is really competitive.
No, it isn't strange. While I had as soon as I finished my internship (which was the last part of my coursework,) it wasn't my dream job, and it wasn't a job that required me to have a degree. I sold cars. My second job out of college actually required a pay cut but it put me on the career track I wanted. That happened thirteen months after I started selling cars. In 2010, a majority of my friends took a couple months to find professional gainful employment (most of them had some sort of retail or service job.)

In a month, you should lower your standards and up your average, so to speak, and broaden your search.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:57 AM

13,639 posts, read 12,293,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilliger View Post
In my area I would say that it takes most people 5-9 months to find a degree related job after graduation if they are trying (assuming they have a useful degree and know how to interview). Trying means taking a low paying if necessary that is degree related for that experience.

Mr. Professional probably didn't need a comp sci or IT degree to get a helpdesk job. But he took the job, and assuming he has a degree, he will be much more marketable for the next step up. This is something that I see so many grads failing to do.

Too many grads who think their degree entitles them to an 80K job and won't take anything else (or whatever is considered high in your area).
I agree with the above, especially the taking the job with the knowledge that it is a stepping stone.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:51 PM

765 posts, read 982,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilliger View Post

When I was in college I research realistically what positions an IT grad can really qualified for out of college

It was either a Desktop Support, Help Desk job , or Junior Programmer job
The OP should do the same thing if you are in public relations you need to be realistic about the salary and entry level jobs available and the ones you will most likely land of course if you expect 50k to 100k jobs that are mid level to senior management level out of college you are mostly likely losing your mind and can be disappointed trust me i wish it was this way instead but thats not how it works
and at least for the company I worked you ACTUALLY NEEDED a degree to work for such an entry level job like Help Desk plus while I was in college I did paid internships that only an IT student could qualify for
so it helps both to have a degree and work experience no matter how entry level a job seems

I knew coming out of college my entry level salary would be between 35k to 45k and this is to start.
Luckily my help desk job ( Entry level) also had benefits and extra perks

OP please read this and it can help you for good reference
How to Land a Entry Level Public Relations Job - PR News

Last edited by Mr.Professional; 07-30-2015 at 02:08 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 02:05 PM

11,410 posts, read 7,742,353 times
Both my kids had jobs before they graduated. One in 2006 and one in 2010. Both were jobs in their fields, full time and had benefits.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 3,506 times
I had to login to talk about this. As someone who graduated with a degree in Computer Science with honors May 2014, it took me almost a full year to find a job. In fact, after 15+ interviews, I just received my very first offer today from HP. This job market is brutal, and will be even more brutal depending on where you live. Almost every entry level job I see requires 2+ years of experience, sometimes 3-4. They want you to have a whole list of certifications, and know all sorts of things that just aren't realistic for someone who is fresh out of school and what it boils down to is companies would rather pay less for more, which isn't really a surprise to anyone. As a new grad, you simply need to know people that can help. Hiring managers, recruiters or whoever can open the door to interviews.

This is a world that is based on who you know, not what you know, and if you don't know anyone then you're going to have a very bad time, just like I did. So no, I don't think it's crazy to still be in job hunting mode. Being a new grad looking for work is pretty brutal right now. One thing that led me to this job at HP is I just started sending off e-mails to recruiters. I'd look for people in LinkedIn, if they were a recruiter for such and such, I'd shoot them an e-mail. Most of them responded, and some of them were very helpful.

I hope it doesn't take you a year to find a job like it did for me. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment