Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:14 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times

Advertisements

Do you have any friends who worked there that you can ask for feedback? It is something pretty serious and obvious if you got fired twice for not being a good fit. If it was performance based, I could understand and they would tell you. You obviously probably rubbed your boss and/or employees the wrong way or something. You need to be more self aware of how you come across when communicating with people. You are obviously not self aware if you don't know what you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 03:03 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Apply for unemployment today. They cannot deny you unless you were fired for employee misconduct. I can't believe they would even type that on an official letter.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:15 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,432 times
File for unemployment anyway. They are just hoping you won't because that raises their experience rate and can affect the amount of FUTA tax they have to pay.

"Generally, employers are assigned experience rates by the state in which they do business.

The rate is determined by the unemployment record of each employer and is the percentage at which contributions are made to the state unemployment fund. Employers who stabilize employment are rewarded in the form of reduced experience rates.

The contributions paid according to the state employment insurance laws are permitted to be credited against the employer's federal unemployment tax. The credit is limited to 5.4% of the federal taxable wages."

Old 07-29-2015, 04:26 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Employers should screen for skills, hire for fit.

"Not a good fit" simply means that the employer made a mistake in the hiring decision. Sometimes recently hired employees quit because the job or the environment wasn't as they expected.

Now if you have been discharged more than once based on 'not a good fit' then there is something wrong with your interpersonal skills.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:57 PM

29 posts, read 34,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Skills View Post
NOT A GOOD FIT. Those words have been said to be twice in my career, shortly before getting fired.

There was no warning in advance at all. No performance improvement plan. No oral warning. No written warning. Nothing in my performance appraisal. No indications at all that I was in trouble.

A number of similar statements were used in the discussion that followed including:

"You did the best job you could"

"Thanks for your help"

"It's a tough but fair decision"

"I have thought long and hard about it"

"It just was not working out"

"Good luck to you, I am sure you will do well in a different environment"

"I am sorry but due to this being a formal termination don't bother submitting an unemployment claim and the company will not pay you any severance, or pay out your vacation leave, as per our official company policies."
==========
OK, put your senior management hat on. If you ran a company, would you allow your supervisors to fire staff strictly because they did not think it was a good fit. No misconduct, no examples of not doing the job properly, no oral, written warnings or performance improvement plan. Just not a good work place personality fit.
What industry do you work in ?

Old 07-29-2015, 06:40 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
If you've had "not a good fit" told to you twice in your career while being fired, that's on you. Figure out what it means.
Even if that happened more that once, it may simply be that the person is not a good fit (personality, skill set) for the particular job or industry that they're employed in. This would be true for anybody who happened to get multiple jobs in a field because they qualify well on paper but it doesn't really fit who they are and what they're best at.

It doesn't mean something is inherently wrong with the person or that they don't have skills or personal traits that are valuable, but it is a good indication that they may need to take a different career path from the one they keep taking.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:14 PM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times
the times i've been let go and told "it is not a good fit" was because they brought in college student interns and eliminated four positions, and paid them half the salary. I'd been there 2 years and won awards for our program, but a new manager wanted to cut costs. However they had to find me a job since i was in a protected category.

the other time i was told it is "not a good fit" was because I said no when I was asked to do things that were illegal or dangerous. that boss became afraid i would report her, and promptly got me fired. She also threatened me that i would never work in the agency again. Within a month i had another job and it was a promotion. I did hide my whereabouts though, because she also threatened to kill me. She meant business too, three other people who had crossed her wound up injured or hospitalized: car went off an embankment for one guy; poison for one lady; and a fall and broken leg to the third. Oh there was a fourth, my immediate predecessor, she was literally carried out of the building on a stretcher screaming, had some sort of breakdown.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-29-2015 at 07:25 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 07:19 PM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
"Not a good fit" simply means that the employer made a mistake in the hiring decision.
Now if you have been discharged more than once based on 'not a good fit' then there is something wrong with your interpersonal skills.
i disagree
there's a lot of underhanded practices with firing people that have nothing to do with how good an employee is. it's always easier for the company to blame the employee than say "we need someone who will look the other way when we doctor the pay sheets" or "we need someone who will spend 3 hours a day doing personal tasks for the boss on the company time"

i only had one job interview where the company was up front about it, they told me in the interview "in this job you will be yelled at because the boss is like that, he yells and curses at everyone and uses profanity. that would need to be acceptable to you." I withdrew my job application and got a job elsewhere.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:40 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
NOT A GOOD FIT. Those words have been said to be twice in my career, shortly before getting fired.

There was no warning in advance at all. No performance improvement plan. No oral warning. No written warning. Nothing in my performance appraisal. No indications at all that I was in trouble.
I am sorry but due to this being a formal termination don't bother submitting an unemployment claim and the company will not pay you any severance, or pay out your vacation leave, as per our official company policies."
==========
OK, put your senior management hat on. If you ran a company, would you allow your supervisors to fire staff strictly because they did not think it was a good fit. No misconduct, no examples of not doing the job properly, no oral, written warnings or performance improvement plan. Just not a good work place personality fit.
Something similar happened to me but not quite as severe. I was told last July that I was not a good fit and that December 31, 2014 would be my last day. They did pay out my vacation and went out of their way to indicate that the firing was "not for cause" so I could file for unemployment.

But similar to your story, there was no warning in advance at all. No performance improvement plan. No oral warning. No written warning. Nothing in my performance appraisal. No indications at all that I was in trouble.

There were some things earlier I didn't like, such as being asked for a memo four months earlier (and about a month after I started) with the status on all my matters, and all deadlines. Another attorney who I opposed in litigation called that a "bus memo," i.e. ensuring that if you were hit by a bus life would go on for them. I took it as an indication, given how close it was to my start date, that they never had any good faith intention to integrate me into the firm or give me a chance to "fit."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
With new employees, absolutely.

I'm not pointing fingers at you specifically, but people underestimate what a large component personality/personability plays in work relationships. If you have a team that works well together, and you add a person who doesn't fit with the group it creates a situation where the whole team suffers, regardless of the qualifications or experience of the new person. So unless you're replacing the whole team in favor of the new blood (which I have done) you get rid of the burr under the saddle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
If you've had "not a good fit" told to you twice in your career while being fired, that's on you. Figure out what it means.
In my case I had been with a certain senior work colleague for 27 years. When they recruited him he told them "unless (JBG) is coming I'm not coming." They reluctantly agreed. As I mentioned above is less than six weeks there was a request for what amounted to an exit memo, but it was another five months before I was told I was done.

In retrospect, within two business days, before I had any interactions with anyone, they froze my colleague's and my ability to obtain "nes matter numbers" for new clients. While they unfroze those crucial numbers after about a week, they approved new clients at a glacial pace, making billing the required 35 hours per week billable time almost physically impossible. In retrospect management was harassing me from day three.

Last edited by jbgusa; 07-29-2015 at 07:51 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 08:32 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
You don't understand my original post. In both cases I was not a brand new employee. The first time that happened I had worked there for 2 years and the second time I had worked there for 19 months. If I did anything wrong, like the list of transgressions you mention above, I was never told about it. If I was angering people I never was told either.
They told you you weren't a good fit after 2 years and almost 2 years? The only times I've witnessed someone not being a "good fit" is when there were personality issues, or maybe it's political. Did anything change in your job right before the termination, for instance did you get a new supervisor, was a new type of software introduced, did your department take on new responsibilities? It seems even then they would give you a warning and a chance to improve. I was at a job where my supervisor was responsible for getting someone who'd been there 2 years before her fired. She created some new way of doing things and complained that the veteran employee just wasn't picking it up. My supervisor was also friends with someone else who'd been there a long time, which is how she got the job in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment