Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:38 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I don't know if I can accept that all jobs are just 'jobs' and to just do it, shut up, and try and climb the ladder, and make as much $ as possible. It bothers me almost every day.
^^^
There's your answer! I left the corporate world when I was 42, and I've never regretted it. I've also been much healthier (meaning not getting a cold, upset stomach, other ailments that cause absence at work) since that time. It's been YEARS since I've been sick. I used to get sick more than most people -- my entire life. I really believe strongly in the mind-body connection and that people and stressful, longtime situations can make you sick.

I never wanted kids either. I'm female, divorced, and completely independent. My brain is extremely active, and my work is so much more fulfilling since I began to specialize in my field (and left that rat race).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 07:03 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I actually have a real passion too, but there is now way I can sustain myself on it.

I'd have to live with my parents ... and then die at 60. That doesn't sound like such a bad plan at times.

I do know, and I actually have the degree already. I just am afraid it will be no better than what I am doing now.

And despite all of the "Do what you want in life, rah, rah" I see, I have never in my life met somebody who switched careers to the bottom of the totem pole at age 40. So, there's a significant social stigma.

And also, I don't make anywhere near six figures now.
Don't worry about social stigmas. Really nobody cares about you or pays that much attention to you. Your mom and dad maybe, and they'll be dead soon. That's just the truth. So if you can arrange a gig where you get up every morning raring to go, the man in the mirror will approve, and his opinion is the only one that matters. The best way to do this is to start a business that keeps you charged up and engaged, and supports your passion. A business is SO MUCH BETTER than a job. Even a menial job like, say, painting. If it's yours, and you're building it and perfecting it, every day is happiness and thankfulness that you found a neat way to make a living without having to have a job. Jobs suck!

Old 07-31-2015, 08:31 AM

52 posts, read 96,724 times
OP, I'm not sure what to tell you but let me give you my boring story:

I'm in my mid 50s, separated from my wife and currently in bankruptcy. I'm self employed, no savings, no retirement (long story) and 95% sure I'll be losing my current long term contract before Spring of 2016. I don't feel what I'm doing now is my true calling but it pays very well. For now.

I am currently studying in a new field and hope to start a new business soon. The new field has my attention all day, everyday and has for the past 30+ years. It was a hobby and I enjoyed sharing my knowledge with others, for free, to help them in their personal endeavors. Now, I've decided it is what I'll do for the rest of my life. Will I succeed? Don't know. I have no idea of what to expect but I don't really care. It's also not important to me what others think about my choice.

I'm also extremely adaptable, resourceful, diplomatic and a quick learner. These are some of my assets so I work them to the best of my ability.

I'm a person of simple means and simple needs and I prefer to impress myself rather than others; that leaves me more control of my life. The less I own the less there is for me to worry about. Earning enough for what I consider the basics is all I need to do.

Everyone has a different plan than everyone else. It's up to you to decide what yours will be.

I wish you all the best.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:13 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
You are around the age where many people seriously re-evaluate their lives, direction, careers and a host of other things (midlife crisis). Those who seem the most successful in changing careers/ directions are the ones who know what they really want to do (particularly if one expects to take a significant pay cut). Those who simply jump from career to career to escape, often find that the problem follows them, because it is them, not the job that needs to change. Also, folks often discover that they are worth 'more', not 'less', in a career they are passionate about, instead of 'just a job that pays the bills.'

I'm retired, but, well remember the stress of traveling in in field sales for large corporations (away from family, constant "what have you done lately," etc). To complicate matters, I was very good at it, and kept making more and more money, which seemed to 'trap' me in a career I really didn't want to do. Whenever I attempted to change careers, I wound-up with more offers for more money in direct sales! Since I had a family, simply leaping into something else that paid less, to escape what I was doing, was impractical, still, I really needed to make a change.

Briefly, I carefully began to analyze what I liked and disliked about what I was doing -- until I finally realized that marketing, promotional material development, advertising and business/strategic intelligence were what I really wanted to do (Why 'throw the baby out with the bathwater?'). When I made the change, I still took a cut, but, within a couple of years, was making more than I had in direct sales ... and enjoying life much more. Freedom from the travel schedule, also allowed me to get actively involved in the ordained ministry; my real passion, which I actively engaged in for over thirty years (while working a day job).

Summary: Life is too short to waste, but, simply 'trying one different thing after another' is an inefficient use of one's time ... and only produces greater frustration. Figure-out what really gives you a sense of purpose and accomplishment in life ... and then work toward that goal. [Alice in Wonderland: "Which way do I go? Which way do I go?" -- Caterpillar: "Where are you going?" --- Alice: "I don't really know." Caterpillar: "Then it really doesn't matter which direction you go, does it?"]

Old 07-31-2015, 10:10 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Here is my life experience regarding this topic. Hope this will inspire you.

I graduated college back in 2006 at 21. Immediately got a job as a software developer. The pay starting out was pretty darn good and it got better over time. Unfortunately, as it got better, I also got more miserable. Don't get me wrong, I love programming. I still develop apps these days for extra bucks. But working for myself versus working for a corporation are 2 entirely different things. And at the time, I was miserable.

So, I started snooping around for some kind of drastic career change to make my life better. Someone I know at the time also wanted to give up programming. He told me that he wanted to become a police officer. I said to myself hey that's a great idea. So, I started applying to various departments. Got several offers, and I ended up accepting the one that paid the most, which was the state police. Here was me in uniform if you can believe that hehe.

So, I patrolled the highways for a couple years. It was exciting at first. But... I guess when I got a hang of the job a little more I came to the conclusion that it was not a good fit for me.

So, once again I started snooping around for something that fulfilled my needs. I had a talk with my brother, who's a senior engineer (project manager) in bridge construction. He asked me if I ever considered becoming an engineer? Then a light bulb went up in my head. Why not, I asked myself?

But this meant I had to go back to school. So, I applied to grad school and got accepted. Signed up for classes and promptly handed in my letter of resignation to the state police.

Fast forward to now. After working in engineering for a few years, I am now 30 and in management. Youngest person in my current office. I love it. The pay now is higher than I ever had before, but when I first started it was definitely lower than when I was in software development.

These days, I have a number of apps published in the google play store and the microsoft app store. I still develop software on my own time and loving it. My day job is with one of the largest engineering firms in the world, and I love every minute of it, too.

Follow your passion, dude. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do this or that. Yes, there is always a risk. But you've already got all those years stacked up, so the worst that could happen now is you can't achieve what you set out to do so you just simply go back to working your old profession. No harm done.

Added by edit.

Here is me this morning checking out one of my construction sites I'm running.
one of the coolest posts i've seen on this entire forum.

much respect to you, that is very inspiring. you made 3 massive leaps in a relatively short span and have set yourself up quite well. congrats.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:16 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Just accept that most jobs suck. Find whatever pays the most, live well below your means and invest the rest, then retire as early as possible.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:14 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Just accept that most jobs suck. Find whatever pays the most, live well below your means and invest the rest, then retire as early as possible.
Wow, what a depressing attitude.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:24 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Yeah, no wonder his job sucks.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:57 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
It's not depressing. I just see my job as a way to make money and nothing more. That's just how most jobs are.

Do you think the guy crawling around in your attic trying to fix your AC unit in 100+ degree heat really likes what he is doing, or do you think he is just doing it to make money for his family?

Old 08-01-2015, 02:40 PM

136 posts, read 141,820 times
I don't think you've said what your current job is vs. what your dream job is, but given what you've said about finances, I wouldn't do it. You say you're under 100k now (not sure if that means 60k or 80k or 99k) and looking at a job that'll have you at 45k. I think the marginal value of a dollar is greater the lower the salary level. If you were talking about going from 150k to 100k -- I don't think your lifestyle would be affected as much -- though obviously your savings would be affected. However, going from say 75k to 45k -- that affects your day to day spending -- housing, food etc.

And I know you say the 45k job will make you happy -- but will it really? At first it may be exciting to work somewhere where you're making a difference. But all jobs have the same downsides -- annoying coworkers, bosses, office politics etc. So when the excitement of the work wears off, and you are (possibly) having a hard(er) time making ends meet -- are you going to regret taking such a massive paycut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment