Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:43 PM

191 posts, read 213,455 times

Advertisements

I agree with NewJersyMemories. You have described a failing manager who refuses to improve. That's her fault, bt if you get pulled into deception it will be your fault too.

I had a similar situation a few years ago. My immediate manager had very good technical skill and was simply the most honest and honorable person I have ever dealt with but he had HORRIBLE people skills. It was so bad that when HIS boss's job became vacant they jumped me over him to fill it temporarily. That was bad enough, but when I was his "acting" boss I got orders to move him out of our office. They didn't say "fire him", exactly, but they might as well have.

It was the single hardest thing I ever had to do; the guy would have been a super star if we could have just kept him away from, well, everybody. Fortunately, I had put my job on the line the last time he had ticked off the whole world (somebody trumped up charges that he was corrupt which was way past ridiculous), so he knew it wasn't personal, but still it was very difficult for both of us.

He just couldn't see why he had to be diplomatic with everyone, and while I know he tried to understand, to this day he just doesn't get why he shouldn't just tell people they aren't smart enough to do their work; not just our employees but people we work with on the outside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Take her out to lunch and try to help her understand that "keeping up" is necessary.
Gentle.

When the owner discovers her huge error, go to lunch with the owner. You'll need to show you are different to survive this.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:00 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,532 times
I think you should stay out of office politics. Keep excelling in your position. As someone that is in management I have found there is always a way to be tactful when approaching people. Your manager is foolish to not accept assistance with tasks she may not be as good with such as technology. Again, there is no I in team & as a team you capitalize on each other's strengths and work with weaknesses to correct.

As the second most profitable enterprise in your owner's network of businesses and the length of time your manager has been with the co. she must be something right. I've always said that the key is to hiring the right people. That's probably one of the single most important tasks in running a successful business. You also may not be aware of what kind of relationship your manager & the owner have and by bypassing the chain of command you could find yourself in an uncomfortable position or relieved. Just my 2 cents

Old 07-31-2015, 06:00 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,565 times
Don't lie but don't get involved... Confront her that you do not feel comfortable being in the middle. Don't mention how she is not doing her job or that you won't lie to her in her face... or she might perceive you as a threat to tell the boss the truth about her.

If the owner questions you, just explain your experience with the client. Don't talk bad about the manager, don't tell him how she messed up or what she should or shouldn't be doing. If he questions you about her, just say, I don't know, you will have to ask her. Let them fight it out.

I get stuck in that position several times before, being questioned by the top boss about why my supervisor isn't doing XYZ and what my thoughts were. When I told the truth, the big boss confronts him and told him what I said about him. The supervisor gets a slap on the wrist and comes yelling at me.

Pretend you see, hear and say nothing bad about your manager.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:21 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Just try to document that the fault is not yours...
small offices or large, situations iike this are so counter-productive....

I am sure your office manager is afraid and because of her age and lack of tech skills is doubly afraid of being terminated...but some people don't want to change even when it is in their best interests...

essentially, your manager is compromising her own value to the company...
I just hope the owner has enough people skills to send her away for a crash course in office technology...
not reading your email for a "WEEK"??? How can any business survive if manager is doing that....and what value can she really bring if she is so adverse to general use of technology?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:23 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times
Kick the can. If the owner asks you if you know what happened, don't lie, but don't volunteer information. Tell the owner that you weren't directly involved and that she/he should talk to your manager for the skinny on what happened.

If the owner comes back and asks you directly to spill the beans on what you've observed then you'll have to figure out how to do it without your manager knowing.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:57 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
As others have said, DON'T LIE. Once you tell a lie, you're forever labeled a liar.

Tell your manager that you're not going to lie for her, but you will help her get on top of her email and other technology. If she doesn't take you up on your offer, you've done all you can do. Whatever questions the owner asks you, answer them completely and honestly.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:20 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
Don't lie, but don't bad mouth your manager. It will not end well.

Here's your opportunity to step up. How about this:

"I believe we had a breakdown in communications. Perhaps we could institute a better client communication protocol. Here's how I envision it (with me leading, of course)"

1) No individual blame. You start pointing fingers, you'd best be perfect, forever...
2) Offer solutions, not excuses
3) It's still her team. Any failings are on the team as a whole. Being a renegade only good in movies.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:26 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Don't lie, but don't bad mouth your manager. It will not end well.

Here's your opportunity to step up. How about this:

"I believe we had a breakdown in communications. Perhaps we could institute a better client communication protocol. Here's how I envision it (with me leading, of course)"

1) No individual blame. You start pointing fingers, you'd best be perfect, forever...
2) Offer solutions, not excuses
3) It's still her team. Any failings are on the team as a whole. Being a renegade only good in movies.
I would actually go more along the lines of "I believe there was a breakdown in communications."

The OP has no responsibility to accept for this at all, and should make absolutely no effort to assume any. OP doesn't need to bad mouth the manager, but at the same time, the failings of the manager are not failings of the team as a whole.

It would be different if the OP were the manager and the problem was the subordinate, because when you're in charge of a team, any problems that happen are at least partially your fault. But that same logic doesn't apply in reverse when the problem can be definitely identified as being at the top.

This sounds like a situation where you don't want to attach yourself to a sinking ship. For example, attempting to institute a new communication protocol where the OP was copied on everything as well would just help to mask the manager's flaws. Productivity would still be low, except now the OP's name is on everything as well.

And they would all... go down... together...

Old 07-31-2015, 11:23 AM

138 posts, read 114,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
She is not trying to "do good."

She is refusing to learn the technology, she is refusing to delegate, and she's asking you to lie, and I'm willing to bet she'll throw you under the bus when she gets caught - and she will get caught.

She is a TERRIBLE manager. She is not doing her job. Don't lie for her.
That's what frustrates me the most about working for her. She's so paranoid that people will mess things up that they are clearly capable of doing, that she won't let you do them. Even the most basic things, that anyone could walk into our office and be given a 10 minute crash course could complete are not delegated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Never lie for a co worker no matter what their position because you will be the one to be fired first for being untrustworthy and a liar.
If asked by the owner what happened tell the truth, it is that simple.
Let the manager bail herself out of her own lies right before the owner fires her.
Thank you, and you're right that I need to look out for myself here and I do plan on telling the owner the truth based on what he specifically asks of me. If she doesn't like it then I will tell her that I don't feel right being dishonest with him and felt he had the right to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment