Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:43 AM

678 posts, read 697,730 times

Advertisements

your pretty spot on. Id be worried about all those things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 09:51 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
This right here. I don't define myself by my work, so although my wallet would feel empty, my life would not. I treat jobs today as temporary business transactions that can be terminated for any time. Therefore I save enough and plan ahead just in case.
Same. I am not really worried about reputation as much as the essentials of day to day life.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
For me (2008-09) it was fear of losing the house, having been here 16 years and still with over $100k equity despite the crash. We managed the small bills with savings, but the house payment was draining that. Few friends, family, and no other acquaintances were even aware of our situation. Second was finding a new job that provided a challenge, and sufficient pay to live on and build back our savings as quickly as possible.

There was no need to wonder what I could have done to prevent the situation from happening, that's just a waste of time, the urgency was to be proactive and find a good job as soon as possible.

Fortunately the job I got in 2009 has gone a long way toward meeting, even exceeding my personal or professional goals, with two promotions in the first 3 years and performance-based raises each of the 6 years.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:53 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Well the fact it can be unexpected. I got fired once and I was a bit taken by surprise at the time because I was doing my job mostly. But as I look back, the writing was on the wall. See when I did do things wrong while on probation (theirs was under two months) I was hardly given any true direction to change things I had to fix. I was taught to stock wrong by my trainer but I was in the wrong (well until the next month when she was yelled at too (me I defended myself stating how I did it myself,) I wasn't shown how to do it. Propane filling, you can't really demonstrate without paying for it so it is hard to get from just watching it, thankfully I was properly trained in that though. The counts were off on some things but when told I was doing it wrong, I wasn't given tips to correct it. I'm not saying I need someone over my shoulder to help correct things BUT, you do have to try to work with a new hire rather than just throw them straight into the fire.

The other thing is where is that next job coming from? I was effectively out of work a year and a quarter after that job despite putting in applications at schools, cell phone stores, Walmarts, Targets, Kohl's, etc. and going on say an interview roughly every other week besides breaks before finding TWO jobs. One is an M-F part-time job with a school, another is roughly every other weekend.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:15 PM

431 posts, read 449,628 times
I lost a job once and the worst thing about it was just feeling like I had wasted 2 years of my life.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:25 PM

761 posts, read 832,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am afraid of living on the street.
Yes, number one concern.
You need a backup plan that involves having some savings to get by on and hopefully UE to tide you over for a while.

Much scarier if you are the sole provider or live alone.
I have a friend that hasn't worked in 4 years since he lost his last job.
He had a decent 401k and some savings and his house is completely paid off.

Too many scenarios to consider.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:28 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,850 times
1. Afraid of being on the streets.
2. Afraid for my grandmother if she loses her house.
3. Afraid for my future.
4. Afraid of not finding another one.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:43 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Fear of tortuous job search. I hate the hiring process at most companies especially job interviews and especially if they are done by HR or under their guidance.

Fear of dealing with staffing agencies. With so many companies hiring people in my profession via temp agencies to bleep over workers that makes it even tougher to find a good job as I won't even talk to them and would never consider working a temp job ever again.

Fear that if I lost my current job that their are so many bleeping awful companies out there that I'd probably need to abandon the profession as it just has gotten to the point where it isn't worth working hard, offering your knowledge, and exposing yourself to chemicals for what companies want to pay especially since many are not even offering healthcare benefits.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 07-31-2015 at 02:05 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 07:42 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I would be afraid of losing the lovely, amazing condo I live in.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:57 PM

780 posts, read 678,490 times
"Wondering if/when you will ever find another job that you like or pays well?"

I'm financially set to be able to survive with my own money if I become and stay unemployed for the next couple of years.

Aside from that, my husband being in the military gets allowance where we can survive without me having to work.

Worst case scenario, I know I can get a job any where if I had to (flipping burgers), so really, my main concern is being able to find a job that I enjoy and am compensated according to my skill set and work ethics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment