Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:14 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times

Advertisements

The worst are those who abuse apostrophes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 09:18 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Might be the woman who pulled a knife on me. Could be the guy who called the union and filed a grievance every time I told him to do something. Probably the woman who hated all white people and told me that she wouldn't listen to me because I oppressed her people.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:20 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Worst was one guy who was a brilliant engineer. Really knew his job. But absolutely couldn't not get along with anyone. Turn over in his section was horrible because he would drive new hires away within a few weeks/months. Tried several times to get rid of him, but senior managers would always buckle and give him another chance because he was so technically good. Tried to tell them that no matter how good he was, he was still a cost and liability drain because he couldn't work with anyone and caused more problems than he was worth.

That said, the worst people I have worked with have all been supervisors. I seriously would have fired some of them if they had ever worked for me before they became supervisors. We're talking drunk at work, racist, sexist, harassers here, not your run of the mill poor boss. This was a guy who would lean back in his chair, spread his legs, and pretend to masturbate in front of everyone, women included, to show that he didn't like what you had to say. And yet management protected this pig.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:22 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
I had one who actually scared me. He was a Satanist (but that wasn't it or maybe just a little bit) he had a very creepy vibe and my boss loved to schedule him in the early morning with just me when I first started out as a manager. I had my back turned from him and he took a piece of my hair out of my head. He probably did some voodoo crap with that hair..but had zero control over him. He was lazy, gossiped and read magazines. I felt at a lost on how to deal with him, and he was older than me by a couple of years..just an odd ball. The Creepy Dude. I just remember feeling pissed every time I saw him on my schedule for the day. I guess felt he would freak out one day...
This example is going to be hard to beat.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:36 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
A lower level male employee whose sexual harassment of several female co workers got to the point where they went as a group to human resources to register a joint complaint. He was fired the next morning. Several years later I was browsing through Facebook and there he was listing his occupation as a regional manager of a large insurance company.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:05 AM

396 posts, read 512,409 times
I was only in a management role for a couple of years before I couldn't stand it anymore (kudos to supervisors/managers who can deal with it) but the ones who tried to sabotage other people to save their own hind ends (aka throwing them under the bus) were the worst, imo. The truth usually came out eventually.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
We had a young lady who called in 'sick' every Monday. She partied too hard over the week-end and I am pretty sure she was hungover. She would pick a buddy in the office to take smoke breaks with (we had a no-smoking policy so they would clock out and go outside) and to hang out with after work. The 2 of them would pick other women at random in the office and make their life miserable just being generally mean to them and making fun of them.
I think her personal life was so sh*tty she wanted everyone else to be miserable too.
She only lasted 6 months

Old 08-04-2015, 09:50 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
We hired someone to work in a remote position for our company. Everything was fine for a couple years, then we started getting complaints. Found out he'd "sublet" the work to an illegal immigrant who was cutting major corners

Old 08-04-2015, 10:20 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The worst are those who abuse apostrophes.
I love you!

Old 08-04-2015, 11:37 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,169 times
I had an employee who had been my peer for over 10 years. We all worked in different cities remote from each other, so I didn't know much about his work, but he seemed like a great guy. Very sweet personality, seemed conscientious, the whole deal. I thought of him as a person who was proud of his work, did a great job, and was well liked by the IT users he supported. I could not have been more wrong.

When I bcame his manager...wow. About 2 weeks after I became his manager, he was awol from work for 2 days, then called on the 3rd day to say that he had been in jail for domestic abuse. Then his wife got a restraining order and he kept violating it, which got him locked up some more. I took another employee and went to the emoloyee's city to get things caught up and do some reassurance with local management, and found that his work was way, way behind, he was apparently drinking on the job and had a gun in his desk.

He was referred to the employee assistance program for counseling, and in the middle of all this the areas were reconfigured and he was no longer my employee (yay). The last I heard, he was refusing to come to work and the current manager was working with HR to terminate him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment