Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 10:57 PM

37 posts, read 53,392 times

Advertisements

In a previous thread I mentioned how, for an employee of a company that makes money from billable projects, I felt like I was doing too many internal projects and might not be needed if they are unable to secure new projects that would involve me. Since then I have been feeling more this way and am wondering whether I should start passively looking for more secure gigs. (Side note: This is why I want to work for a company like Facebook or Google. They always have new stuff to do because they're monopolies with a constant influx of revenue and investor money.)

Today I learned that they did not secure a big gig that they were bidding and which would've involved me. As far as I know, they are bidding on one more at the moment. Time to dust off the resume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 11:20 PM

431 posts, read 449,353 times
working billable in tech is always a crap job unless you're on the sales team.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,448 times
It's always time to dust off a resume IMO. I update my resume at least once a year. I keep a log of what I do at my job so I can remember the big things that need to go on a resume.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:41 AM

44,345 posts, read 20,044,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
It's always time to dust off a resume IMO. I update my resume at least once a year. I keep a log of what I do at my job so I can remember the big things that need to go on a resume.
Excellent idea, beera.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:00 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,379,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
That's a good idea. I think the best way to go about it is to focus on your marketability. That's where the security really lies.

And nothing is forever, especially trendy industries. Google and facebook are no different in that regard. Something new will come along eventually. When they're faced with competition new and fresh, it will be a challenge for them to keep investors interested and fight the passe' impression.

So berra is right. Focus on you and continue to focus on what you can provide any company out there.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:31 AM

633 posts, read 639,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
That's a good idea. I think the best way to go about it is to focus on your marketability. That's where the security really lies.

And nothing is forever, especially trendy industries. Google and facebook are no different in that regard. Something new will come along eventually. When they're faced with competition new and fresh, it will be a challenge for them to keep investors interested and fight the passe' impression.

So berra is right. Focus on you and continue to focus on what you can provide any company out there.
Yep. Google and Facebook are in no way monopolies, things can change VERY quickly. At one point people talked about AOL, Myspace, and Blackberry the same way people talk about Google and FB. Ask those companies how it worked out for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment