Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 12:13 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

That's all they want out of life. That's all they think they deserve. That's all they can qualify for. Take your choice.

In the majority of cases they are people who want to be done and go home after their shift, not think about work when they are not at work, and don't want to have to think or do angthing creative at work. Get the paycheck and go home. You don't get that sort of work life in the big paying jobs.

People who want more out of life figure out how to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 01:52 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Why does this same type of question get asked on this forum every so often? I don't understand why some of you are so obsessed with things that have nothing to do with you.
Anyway, I think one of the big reasons why some people prefer low-wage jobs is that those jobs don't involve much responsibility. A higher-paying job requires more responsibility. If you're a cashier and you get promoted to a management position within the same company, you'll get higher pay of course, but with that promotion comes more responsibility. Maybe some people enjoy the simplicity of having a job with little responsibility.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:56 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewChoices View Post
One of the cashiers at the supermarket where I shop has been there for 17 years. It's a good supermarket chain, I imagine it has good benefits, especially the benefits that started pre-recession era, which would be the case in this instance. May even have a pension plan, something most companies no longer offer.

For some, benefits are the motivation. For others money, job progression, prestige. I tend towards the latter. The way I've managed that has been moving around a bit. And why I actually admire anyone who can stay at a job, any job, for 17 years!
Supermarket jobs used to be high paid jobs, with unions, benifits and great pensions. I know a few people who have put in 30 to 40 years at a Supermarket and retired in there 50's with nice pensions. I worked at a Waldbaums and a Pathmark in HS and there were a wide range of people, from kids working part time to full time lifers.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:11 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Maybe they can't find anything else or they're not ambitious enough.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:14 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
I know a job/some money is better than no job/little to no money but why do some people make a career out of working a low wage job and never try to go back to school for something that can earn them more income per year?

I recently heard about a lady who's worked at Wendy's for 9 years? 9 YEARS? And she's still employed there.

Watch the movie McFarland --for a reason some do so.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:15 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
I know a job/some money is better than no job/little to no money but why do some people make a career out of working a low wage job and never try to go back to school for something that can earn them more income per year?

I recently heard about a lady who's worked at Wendy's for 9 years? 9 YEARS? And she's still employed there.

I guess I never had the encouragement others did.

Father died when young, mother raising 3 kids on a paycheck and paying for house.

I tried college, couldn't stick with it. Just didn't care.

Longest job held 6 years. Various positions which I was moved into, never went after them.

I could have gone higher, but felt I didn't or couldn't handle the stress.

Preferred to be low scale and late shift. Manager didn't care as long as work was done.

Realized late "What are my basic wants?

Food
Basic clothing (Nothing fancy)
OK shoes
Some medical care (Pain killers)
Vehicle for living out of. (Why pay rent?)

Have a job now, maybe make it, maybe not. Only time will tell, have 7 more years of working left....

Old 08-08-2015, 04:57 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Quote:
$40k while not a high wage is still a livable one in numerous places. I'm talking about people who don't become managers but simply spend years being a cashier at such places.
Maybe they're stuck in a dead end town with lousy job prospects.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:07 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Maybe they're stuck in a dead end town with lousy job prospects.

Know that very well. Worked in Cabool, MO for a custom cabinet and countertop maker. No one made more the 25K a year, but most had 40 hours and benefits.

Went to Houston, MO where everyone got $12.57 an hour (Including the janitor) but the work was of a precarious nature and if a hurricane didn't hit he USA, they didn't have a lot of work.

When I left they were down to 3 days a week. Previously they'd been 24/7.....

Old 08-08-2015, 05:42 PM

7 posts, read 5,982 times
Someone said it earlier: a job search can be a full-time job in itself. In an economy that makes no guarantee of employment, why bother trying if you've already got something that covers your needs? It can actually be a very economically sound decision not to spend time, paid at $0/hour, to find a job you may never get.

If you want to know where poverty and unemployment come from, you can read either "Progress and Poverty" or a web site that discusses it. Link is for the modernized version.

http://www.amazon.com/Progress-Pover.../dp/0911312986

Last edited by UnderOverture; 08-08-2015 at 05:57 PM..

Old 08-08-2015, 05:44 PM

573 posts, read 585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That's all they want out of life. That's all they think they deserve. That's all they can qualify for. Take your choice.

In the majority of cases they are people who want to be done and go home after their shift, not think about work when they are not at work, and don't want to have to think or do angthing creative at work. Get the paycheck and go home. You don't get that sort of work life in the big paying jobs.

People who want more out of life figure out how to get it.
This. Used to be you could make a good living wage working M-F 9-5 and leave work at work. Now, if you want decent money at all, you gotta work wild hours, traveling all over the place and work from home after you get off. Most people routinely are salaried and work 60+ hours a week, leaving them little time else to enjoy life. When I was making $14 an hour, it wasn't great money, but single with no kids, living with roommate, and no car payment I was able to still do a lot of the things I wanted and eat where I pleased. For me that was enough. It wasn't until I met my current fiancee that I realized I needed to do more and make more and that is why I am going back to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment