Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:40 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,407 times

Advertisements

What the company is charging is not relevant to your salary. The company you are working at & hoping to become a full time employee with does not expect you to have a payrate anywhere close to what the agency is charging. If there are pay bands then you should base your salary requests on that. Ask HR where you fall in the band & then based upon that range make your request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpettit View Post
Hey there,

I'm a new member, and I've been searching around Google for information on what to do when my contract ends in five or six weeks. I was pulled into my supervisor's office at the end of my first week and told that I would in fact be given a position if I wanted it. I currently get paid $13 an hour in Austin, TX working for a health insurance company. I have no idea how much the company is paying the staffing agency, and I wonder how I can find that out. I also know, from asking HR, that the pay grade my position is in makes more than what I'm making at the bottom of the spectrum, so I know that I'd be making more... but I want to be making what I'm worth.

I don't think I'm necessarily worth something like $20/hr, but something over $16 would be very, very nice. I think with what I bring to the table, I'm worth at least that.

I'm not sure what other information is necessary, but I would greatly appreciate any help that can be provided about this.

Thanks!

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 AM

156 posts, read 609,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
.....I would like to get a raise when this contract ends. How do I go about approaching that? .....
Hi, this is a super question/issue. I think it's more common a situation than assumed.
I'm about to start my new temp-to-hire job. I already know the top range for the salary once the position moves to employee status. Yet, as I haven't started the job yet, I won't know if I'll like it. I do need the job, however.

In the past, a recruiter with this staffing agency (who's no longer there) conned me into accepting a position, then switched the pay totally stammering and stumbling when I questioned what was going on. I'm concerned that this will repeat. If I sense that both agency and/or company are weaseling out and won't offer me the topmost range of the perm salary I'll just stay firm with what I'm requesting or tell them I'll plan on backing out of the entire deal.

But it's also trickier. I don't know at what point they'll want it to go direct hire. I need the higher pay desperately. I'm expecting they'll notice how I prove myself, as I'm already way overqualified for the position. Anyone have advice for me on what I do if they drag their feet with the offer for perm placement, or worse, DON'T drag their feet but try quickly getting me on board with just a PROMISE for topmost wage? Would you move forward on a PROMISE only, even in writing? Yes, it's bad down here.

I'm asking all these questions (not b/c I'm assuming they'll love me, no). You see, the interview went so well, the supervisor immediately indicated her confidence in me and was already discussing employee benefits, etc. Also, I'm used to corruption down here. (I'm in the SW part of the country and have seen one scam after another. Eventually I plan to relocate, but in the meantime, work, responsibilities; and one needs money to move. Thx. for any help.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,416 times
So, real quick.

I DID get a raise when I ended the temp to hire contract. Not as high as I'd like, because the cost of living in Bozeman is a lot lower than what Im used to in Seattle, and thus the wages tend to be a bit less. Especially because its a college town, anything that doesn't require a degree can be a sought after job.

The requirements for my raise was that I show up to 8:30am meetings. My sleep/class/work/social schedules collided with this, and I was unable to do that.

Dont expect a whole lot, I think $16 is a reasonable number. Understand that a) they dont want to pay you what they pay the staffing agency, and b) the staffing agency currently covers all the overhead associated with you. Also, benefits weigh heavily.

Isiah, get it in writing and if you feel that people aren't being honest... don't work with them. Find someone else to work with, and you may have to keep doing that until you're out of the woods.

db, my suggestion is to talk to whoever is in charge of your salary, probably your boss. And discuss it with them. They know that you're making less than what you should be making at that job. And you know that too. Thats my advice to you.

Best of luck.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 10,137 times
I am new to the temp world. Right now I am a temp to hire for $17 an hour. I have been working there for a month now and have discovered that with my previous experience I am very much ahead of my co-workers. I already put out more tests than them daily, have fixed all of their inventory records, and have established a new system for all of their files. In the month that I have been there they went from a week behind schedule to 3 weeks ahead. At my last job I was paid $21 an hour and the benefits were amazing, at this company the benefits are about the same, but I have to pay $300 more a month for insurance, so what do you think I can expect and what do you think I will be albe to negotiate?

Old 03-14-2009, 07:07 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
Well, back in the early 90's when the temporary agencies started to take over, I refused to partiicpate. Then fast forward a 4 or 5 years and I was economically forced to change my mind. I am now a veteran temporary employee.

I would advise to use all of your accomplishments to bolster your resume. I would also ask for a written reference detailing some of these accomplishments if at all possible.

Then I would continue to look for a permanent job. I would advise not to rock the boat at your temp. job. Why? For two reasons:
1) the employer is already paying the temp. agency 36.00 dollars for you being there. You get about half of the actual payment.
and
2) not only is the economy not favorable for negotitation, the temp. agency will be unhappy with you, since you work for them, not the company And, although you are giving the comany more value for their money, they do not want it enough to pay for it. (It is like I went into the carpet store to buy a carpet at 50 dollars and the vendor sells me 100 dollar carpet. This will upset me off. However, if he sold me a 100 dollar carpet at 50 dollars, then I will be very happy.)

You are the 100 dollar carpet unfortunately.

Focus on this job as a temporary and keep looking for permanent job, where the company will pay for your hard earned skills!!! Use this time wisely. good luck!

p.s. I was in a similiar situation, but mine was a little different, in that mine was temp to perm job. And there was just me, not a whole buch of people to compete with. So, after one month, I told them that I was unhappy and they hired me two weeks later at twice my temp money plus free medical. So, every situation is different. (It is harder to make this happen if there is NO desire on the employer'part to keep you. If you are interchangeable, you will be out of luck.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment