Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 1,891 times

Advertisements

I just started my job this past week after relocating and it's a relatively unknown company located in a very undesirable city. I think they had trouble filling this position and I accepted because they gave me no time to consider other opportunities and I was unemployed. I know that I can get a different job, but I had bills to pay and I feared how long my unemployment would last. I can make about 40% more in a similar job at a better brand name company in a large city. The current location is pretty bad and there's no outside life to build here. The only pluses are that the boss is great, the work life balance is great, and the work is a good learning experience, but I can't get over the fact that I'm quite underpaid on what I know I can earn and the location is just not for me. I'm single and getting older so I want to do more than just go to work and have an outside life where I have opportunities/organized events to meet people near my age, date, attend happy hours, network, etc in a larger city. Any thoughts?

Last edited by danish1guy; 08-08-2015 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 10:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,294,308 times
As long as you find something that pays more and has a higher level of responsibility, go for it. Meanwhile, stay and learn, so you can pay those bills. Job hopping is when someone stays a short time then goes to a job at the same or lower level, or quits with a gap and then gets another job. Advancing your career at another place even after less than a year is not a negative.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:44 PM

29,441 posts, read 22,361,743 times
Yea but after only a week starting to look for another job?

Might as well just quit soon and never mention it for future.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As long as you find something that pays more and has a higher level of responsibility, go for it. Meanwhile, stay and learn, so you can pay those bills. Job hopping is when someone stays a short time then goes to a job at the same or lower level, or quits with a gap and then gets another job. Advancing your career at another place even after less than a year is not a negative.
The biggest factor is the location. The pay is low but it's enough to pay bills and I'm learning in my job. I would most likely be moving to a preferred city but in a similar role.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:32 PM

12,066 posts, read 23,124,117 times
Big cities also tend to have a higher cost of living, so a 40% pay increase can get eaten up pretty quick.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:55 PM

22,300 posts, read 47,238,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danish1guy View Post
. I can make about 40% more in a similar job at a better brand name company in a large city. The current location is pretty bad and there's no outside life to build here. The only pluses are that the boss is great, the work life balance is great, and the work is a good learning experience, but I can't get over the fact that I'm quite underpaid on what I know I can earn and the location is just not for me. I'm single and getting older so I want to do more than just go to work and have an outside life where I have opportunities/organized events to meet people near my age, date, attend happy hours, network, etc in a larger city. Any thoughts?
So why did you not get that great job in the big city?

Old 08-09-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So why did you not get that great job in the big city?
Those positions are a bit more competitive since the pay is higher and the location is much more desirable. I had a final round right before I started this job but it didn't work out because some of the interview questions threw me off (you win some and lose some). I just need more time, but looking while I'm already working takes off a lot more stress and I think I can perform better during interviews as a result. I can also afford to be more choosy.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:17 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,013,597 times
I'd say, spend a year there, get to become the best you can be in the job. Take that free training! After a year, re-evaluate if the increase in salary is worth giving up the lifestyle that is 'family-friendly'.

In a year, you will be able to evaluate if your unknown company is going to remain unknown or is just growing and may become a bigger company that can afford to pay very well.

You may find that you enjoy the time off and have a great group of good friends and do have things to do in the smaller town. You may mature and find that you do not need to be in the city to stimulate yourself to find something to do, and be satisfied sitting on the rocker on the porch visitin', or fishing, or whatever there is in your small town. (I live in a small town, rural area and new folks often can not find anything to do, but those of us who have been here a few years can not find enough time to do all the things we want to do. WE just do different things-hike to the waterfall, go to the hot springs for a soak, swim in the lake, fish in a colder creek or the lake, go to a parade or carnival, quilt, sew, paint, go to classes for any of them, go to the gym, etc. Its not party and bar focused though...and that makes new folks say there is nothing to do.)

And remember that small town living costs lots less that city livin'.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:40 AM

6,445 posts, read 7,735,321 times
Go ahead and look of course and see if you get any bites. Problem is that (I assume) you aren't currently living very close to whatever city you want to be, so you'd be a remote hire rather than a local candidate. That's a more difficult proposition. And if you up and quite and move, you'd do so with no income. Contrast that to before you took this job - you had unemployment, so there was some $ coming in. I think your anxiety got the better of you and now you're regretting it. That's tough.

Best of luck.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:58 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,371,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danish1guy View Post
The only pluses are that the boss is great, the work life balance is great, and the work is a good learning experience
These sound like great qualities. Your only complaint is that you are underpaid, but that is literally the ONE thing you knew about the job before accepting, so clearly it is enough money otherwise you wouldn't have taken the position.

The other things you list are big gambles that anyone takes in starting a new job and it looks like you did very well- good bosses are hard to come by, work/life is even harder to come by, and learning experiences are truly important.

What's the big emergency? If you're worth more elsewhere now, just think of how much more you'll be worth after a few years of learning. All while enjoying the great boss and great work/life balance. Perhaps you could even get another degree in your spare time and really take advantage of the work/life balance (and seriously grow your earning potential).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment