Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:49 PM

20 posts, read 98,459 times

Advertisements

Could anyone give a pretty good description about what the job of "copywriter" entails? I am currently in college and writing fiction, and I'm just exploring different areas of the publishing industry to go into after I get my degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 02:56 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy22 View Post
Could anyone give a pretty good description about what the job of "copywriter" entails? I am currently in college and writing fiction, and I'm just exploring different areas of the publishing industry to go into after I get my degree.
It simply means that you write copy for any one of a thousand different things: i.e. brochures, newsletters, seminars, presentations, advertisements, technical journals, policy manuals, etc. Many companies do not have the staff, time, or expertise to craft written copy for their literature. One of the best pieces of advice I can give you to this end is to create your own material first, then approach a company or companies that you would think could use it. If it doesn't sell, use it in your portfolio to impress other potential clients. Always, always, do some research on a particular company before approaching them. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2008, 04:10 PM

20 posts, read 98,459 times
Thanks for clarifying

Old 03-16-2008, 04:28 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,705 times
Quote:

Some copywriting goes into taglines, positioning statements, etc..
A big market for copy is catalogs, writing brief but catching,descriptives about a product.
Ad agencies use them, and if you get enough work with branding, etc., you can make a name for yourself.
No offense to the resume writers, but in the marketing/ad world, resume writing is not considered to be copywriting, just to clarify.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:51 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,132 times
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying
You're welcome. It wouldn't hurt to snag a course or two in marketing or sales. It is a big part of doing your own writing gig. Be prepared to send out approximately one to two hundred proposals before nailing a good writing job.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:11 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Do you know anyone who is a copywriter? it sounds like it would be a fun job I just wonder if you can make any money at it?

Or

Are you or anyone you know a professional writer or any kind? if so do you make good money?

Thanks!
I am. I work as a freelancer with clients all over the country. It's a great job and, at $100 an hour, the money is good. What's more, if you work with a lot of different clients, you get to do something different every day. Advertising is a far better-paying industry than magazine publishing, which is the writer's equivalent of a Viking longship. Not that some magazine writers aren't well-paid, mind you, but on average they're paid a pittance for the privilege of working for a magazine. Meanwhile, a top-notch agency copywriters typically earn $80-$100K. Sometimes more.

That being said, you really need to work on the agency side before you freelance, the way I did for fifteen years. The best way to get in the door is by going to The Portfolio Center in Atlanta, a kind of private postgraduate training for would-be creatives. If I had known about it when I was first starting my job, I would have gone like a shot.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,342 times
Nebulous1, great feedback and very supportive but how do you feel about ad copywriting right now? Do you think you have any good (ones) classified ads left inside you? I need about 25 smashing classified ads all different-20 words or less that will have great pulling ability for a print ad campaign that I am about to execute shortly; I need help. I dabble a bit but not well enough to waste good money experimenting with it. What say you?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 02-02-2009, 08:57 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,445,810 times
Quote:
Are you or anyone you know a professional writer or any kind? if so do you make good money?
Dear RWB,

It's not a job where you can make money. In case you haven't noticed, newspapers, magazines, public relations companies and advertisers, are ALL laying people off right now, so there's a huge pool of talented writers out there who are looking for work. What's more, writing is a skill that takes years to develop; it's not really a field you wake up one day and decide to go into. And good writing entails lots of researching and rewriting and reworking. It's hard work for a pittance.

Sorry to be so negative, but it's a pretty not-happening field right now. Nobody is hiring.

W.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:11 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
Quote:
Do you know anyone who is a copywriter? it sounds like it would be a fun job I just wonder if you can make any money at it?

Or

Thanks!
I've been a Writer for 18 years in various venues. As of late (until I was let go) I was a Marketing Writer for a technology company. The pay is excellent if you have the right skill set.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:13 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveburg View Post
Uh . . . don't think so. Otherwise, my work wouldn't be non-stop.

If you take a resume written by the ordinary person and place it against one revised by a Professional Resume Writer, you would be surprised.
This is VERY true. I write my own resumes, but I'm a Writer by profession. I'll still bet a certified resume writer could really dress mine up quite a bit. As others have said, copywriting and resume writing are two distinctly different specialties, although resume writing is about Marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment