Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 11:28 PM

816 posts, read 1,390,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving876e View Post
manual labor, construction, farming, chef, artist, truck driver, entrepreneur, to name a few. You have many options. The "traditional" 9-5 route is overrated anyway. I had a 100k 9-5 and hated it. I prefer the alternative path and I've never been in trouble with the law. You aren't missing anything, don't worry. Just work hard and pursue what you love. Live within your means and always have savings to fall back on.
I would like to get into the real estate field as an entrepreneur, but don't currently have enough money to do flips right now. Wish there were an easier and cheaper way to start out in real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,454 times
Sounds like you would be a great attorney. They may not have felony records but all of them in this area should be locked up. They are greedy, evil, and have no morals...not to mention they seem to be above the law and get away with feeding off other people's misery. Sorry, you deserve a 2nd chance and a job. I'm sure you are nothing like the bunch of lawyers in NW IOWA but they are the lowlife scum.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:12 AM

6,751 posts, read 5,457,777 times
cleavlander:

I firmly believe if a person has paid their debt to society and is willing to "go straight", then they should get that second chance. the prisons are overcrowded and and "manufactures worsened criminals". NOT the "corrections" it claims too be.

It also makes sense if the crime was , say 10, 15, 20 years ago, and they have no repeat or other indiscretions, they should be "set totally free" and their records sealed.

We ALL do some foolish things and make mistakes-some graver than others- granted.
And ALL drivers have broken the law more than once, even IF speeding was "unintentional", or the parking ticket "came to quick when I was on my way to pay the meter". And some just "never got caught".

People tend to forget that.

Our legal system is set up for the punishment phase, but not so much for the desire to "rehabilitate" oneself phase.

MY state apparently has a non-discrimination set of laws for felons, but a major national chain store, for example, flat out refuses to hire anyone with a record-they'd rather pay the $50k penalty to the state instead of hiring a felon! I read that in the paper.

My neighbor has had trouble getting/keeping a job due to a car jacking felony when he was a teen. He works hard and is loyal, but when they find out he is a felon, *poof* goes his job. He now notifies most every employer, and finds he can't even work at the local gas station collecting cash from customers! It was about some odd 20 years ago!

If one has a bad back, or a bum knee, then menial physical labor is OUT. How sad that is all they are considered for.

If a felon is coming out of prison with a 'useful degree' earned while in there{we paid for}, and can get certain help and certain job help, why shouldn't a felon with none? A Parole officer can go a long way towards helping one get and maintain a job, maybe it is the "security" that someone is "watching" the felon they like. I don't understand it.

I wish you and EVERY felon or even misdemeanor people the BEST of luck in finding employment!

Old 08-17-2015, 09:39 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,945,756 times
What if a felon just leaves the country? I wonder if their record would follow them? I guess it would depend on the country and how they left the U.S..

Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 AM

88,300 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Some people in the culinary field have less than clean records, so you might check into that. I'm not talking about McDonald's, but actually working in a restaurant kitchen. Check into a culinary apprenticeship, or a culinary degree at a local CC.
Yes, my daughter worked in a restaurant last summer as a server. Before that, she'd worked at a bank. Chef at her restaurant told her he'd robbed her bank and done ten years, and that's where he learned to cook.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:18 AM

3,532 posts, read 2,840,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Politics!
In some states it is almost mandatory that you have a felony conviction to run for office.

bill

Old 08-17-2015, 11:47 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,841,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
What if a felon just leaves the country? I wonder if their record would follow them? I guess it would depend on the country and how they left the U.S..
Leaving the country might be p[ossible but maybe getting back in with NO PASSPORT might not be so easy. That said getting into Canada with a felony on your record is not easy legally. Mexico? Might be a death sentence trying to enter it illegally.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:54 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,052,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My heart goes out to those who have a conviction and trying to turn your life around. Speaking as an ex cop and currently a manager, I would have no problem working with someone with a conviction. Most people have made mistakes. Everyone deserves another chance.

I know my company's policy is to automatically disqualify anyone with a record. If and when I get to a position where I can influence policies, I will definitely work to change that.

Hear hear! I would do the same thing. A lot of really good people are placed on the sidelines of life for grave mistakes they made, sincerely regret and have paid for 5x over.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:11 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,607,030 times
Default system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
They are usually on parole for several months and/or years after their release.

So leaving the state much less the U.S. legally would be impossible.

Prison system is designed for people to return to jail once they are released.

Those that run these prisons are making billions off putting people in jail.

Their is no rehabilitation.

The Prison Industry in the United States: Big Business or a New Form of Slavery? | Global Research - Centre for Research on Globalization

Old 08-30-2015, 07:23 AM

307 posts, read 361,944 times
...don't listen to all this, whichever field you're looking into just target the smaller mom and pops. As long as you disclose the felony the owner will probably overlook it. I would however say that it depends on the severity of the felony. If you were convicted for murder, armed robbery, or a sexual offense (the "r" word) you'll need a prayer.

however, regardless of the record that stands against you starting stuff out on your own can be just as exciting. I don't know why we have all been "wired" to seek work from other people. Consider owning the business. Not all of them require college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment