Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 07:58 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times

Advertisements

I went back home this weekend and heard some interesting gossip about a former employer. A large company has a nine figure annual contract with a government entity. There were two "site managers," one senior to the other, and each of whom had probably twenty people reporting up to them.

The lower level manager was fired by the senior manager, and the senior manager was later fired himself by executive management at headquarters. The lower level manager was probably at $70k or so, and the senior manager was probably a six figure person. They work in a small town of a few thousand so obviously there are no local jobs like this, and none within a commutable distance to where they lived. Both men are likely in their 50s.

The lower level manager supposedly got his real estate license and is doing that now. I don't know how well he is doing, but the senior manager is bagging groceries at the local Kroger. That's got to be demeaning for a man who had a successful career.

How long would it take you to find another job in your career, commutable to where you live now and let's say you don't take more than a 10% pay cut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 08:04 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I went back home this weekend and heard some interesting gossip about a former employer. A large company has a nine figure annual contract with a government entity. There were two "site managers," one senior to the other, and each of whom had probably twenty people reporting up to them.

The lower level manager was fired by the senior manager, and the senior manager was later fired himself by executive management at headquarters. The lower level manager was probably at $70k or so, and the senior manager was probably a six figure person. They work in a small town of a few thousand so obviously there are no local jobs like this, and none within a commutable distance to where they lived. Both men are likely in their 50s.

The lower level manager supposedly got his real estate license and is doing that now. I don't know how well he is doing, but the senior manager is bagging groceries at the local Kroger. That's got to be demeaning for a man who had a successful career.

How long would it take you to find another job in your career, commutable to where you live now and let's say you don't take more than a 10% pay cut?
How can anyone possibly answer this?

I mean, there are way too many variables.

Besides, I consider gossiping about people you grew up with in the Tri-Cities much more "demeaning" than bagging groceries.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:14 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
a week or two?

but why is it demeaning? And if he made six figures for a while, why do you think he didn't just decide it was time to retire? I mean, you said it was a small town, they aren't exactly high COL... maybe he is happy bagging groceries

Old 08-17-2015, 08:23 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
a week or two?

but why is it demeaning? And if he made six figures for a while, why do you think he didn't just decide it was time to retire? I mean, you said it was a small town, they aren't exactly high COL... maybe he is happy bagging groceries
He may have just hung it up after so many years. I don't think he was quite retirement age, but he had been with this company for well over a decade and was not a low earner, so he may be well enough off personally to just piddle around like this.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:24 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
I have a couple of former employers that I can probably go back to. There are also a few colleagues that I can likely go work with. That said, nothing is 100% certain. The good thing is that the DC/NoVA area is pretty good for Information/Cyber Security, so I'm confident that I won't have to take much of a pay cut.

But Wmsn4life does have a point with regards to a lot of factors that may play into things. The only time I've ever lost my job was back in 2001. And that was sort of a perfect storm between the .com bust and 9/11. Both of those events happened fairly rapidly. So one day I'm leading an extremely talented team of engineers supporting a company that was ahead of its time. And a few months later, I was applying for unemployment...

Old 08-17-2015, 08:58 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

A couple of weeks.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:59 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Besides, I consider gossiping about people you grew up with in the Tri-Cities much more "demeaning" than bagging groceries.
Bingo. Emigrations has a long history of gossipy, condescending posts.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:35 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Bingo. Emigrations has a long history of gossipy, condescending posts.
Indeed... looks down his nose at everyone, especially those in his hometown.
Such a bore....

Old 08-17-2015, 09:45 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,102 times
A few days. I get offers almost daily.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:15 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,720,749 times
I would have no problem finding consulting work, but at 72, it's time to hang things up and I'll be out of the job market at the end of 2015. If i do any consulting, it will have to be in a vacation place where my wife and i can stay an extra week and have some fun together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment