Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 02:23 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times

Advertisements

Would you give up a state funded job with really good benefits to make a salary that is considered great for your area? Maybe with this salary comes little or no benefits to you. No vacation time, no sick leave, no retirement or health insurance, but a great salary nonetheless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 02:28 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Would you give up a state funded job with really good benefits to make a salary that is considered great for your area? Maybe with this salary comes little or no benefits to you. No vacation time, no sick leave, no retirement or health insurance, but a great salary nonetheless?
I don't care what the salary is... if I get zero vacation time to enjoy it!

Old 08-17-2015, 02:30 PM

930 posts, read 700,398 times
You have to consider the value of said benefits. Does the added compensation equate to the loss in benefits?

If you would otherwise receive 20 days of PTO, does the extra compensation account for 160 hours (20 * 8 hours/day)? Don't forget the intangible value of having paid time off to relax, run errands, take vacations, etc.

Health insurance can be expensive for an individual, and you need to have health insurance. So does the extra compensation account for the value of an individual health insurance plan?

How about 401k or other retirement benefits that companies offer? Does the added compensation allow you to adequately put away ~10% of your income into retirement savings? A lot of companies do 401k matches up to a certain amount that you contribute. Mine is 100% up to 4% of my gross income. So that equates to a total of 8% of my income going into my 401k.

"Extra" compensation in lieu of benefits can be deceiving because it seems like you're making more money, when in fact, you're not because of the opportunity cost of the benefits you're foregoing. This is why contract positions are not ideal when you think about it. Sure, you might be making $25/hr for a job that would typically pay $20/hr. However, you're also not getting any of the benefits, which likely cost much more than the $5/hr extra you're making. Benefits alone can probably account for $15k+ of your total compensation package. That's not chump change for the average American worker.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
If you don't get paid vacation or medical, and the pay is good, you won't get any time off, and will have to pay a fortune for private pay medical. No thanks, I prefer both a good salary and good benefits, even for another $30-40k I'd stay where I am, to make up for the loss, including maximum contributions to 401k and IRA accounts, would take another $100k or so.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:10 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
The direct cost to my employer for my benefits is about $30,000. If you factor in a wage for my vacation/holiday/sick leave, that would be another $30,000, give or take.

No way would I take a no benefits job for a mere $60k raise. Absolutely not worth it.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:24 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I don't care what the salary is... if I get zero vacation time to enjoy it!
Yep!

And there's no way I'd go without health insurance, as I'm the sole bread winner.

I've turned down a job where the health insurance was too expensive. To go completely without? No chance.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:06 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Hell no. This can't even be a serious question.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:23 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,635 times
I work for the Federal Gov as an R.N. An R.N. in the same type of position at the private sector hospital across the street probably makes $6.00-$8.00 an hour more than I do which is about $13,000/year. What I have that the R.N. with the higher salary doesn't is 5 weeks annual paid vacation which is an R.N. benefit that starts at day 1 of employment, decent sick time, a pension, a 401K, and great health insurance I can keep for life. So, for me the benefits are of more value than the $$.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:24 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
So basically a 1099 type of position? I agree with Mr.Analyst that you need to first determine how much "more" money you are really getting after factoring YOUR cost for all the benefits that you will now need to pay for.

For me, even if all the above works out, it would still depend on other factors as well. For starters, it would depend on the environment/culture. I would take Pitt Chick's comment and expand on that. I don't care how much you're paying me, I need to enjoy the work, people, environment etc. However, sacrifices can be made for other gains - If I were early in my career, and this was a great opportunity to gain some valuable experience, sure.

But the key is determining how much those benefits will cost you. Because while they are "benefits", not all are optional (insurance, sick leave, etc.).

So the answer for me is: depends.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:11 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
New Job Hunt - Stable Salary Jobs or High Paying Commission Jobs?
article about this issue for a family

what I don't get is why didn't they make an effort to pay down the mortgage/increase savings while he was making higher wages on commission... the article said it depends on if they had savings/etc... all of which they could have obtained while they were living "richer" but they didn't...

I'm at a stable job with a good salary... I'm happy where I am, sure I could make more... so what? I would just put it into investments like I do my excess money now. Sure I could "retire" 5 years earlier... but I may not "last" 5 years longer if I went that route either. At current job, I can see myself in it longer because I enjoy it where I can see myself staying until retirement. If I have a change of heart later on, I would do commissions only once my investment money is to a point where if I made $0, I would still be fine, then I could try out sales because if I sell 0 items, I still won't be "hurting"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment