Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 12:02 PM

425 posts, read 1,104,617 times

Advertisements

I work in a dental office in connecticut, here is my situation
over the Christmas Holiday ,my poor boss passed away of a massive heart attack out of the country.
We are working in his office with a retired dentist who is helping out while his widow if getting things together to sell the practice.
Has anyone been in a situation like this,I dont know if I will have a job when this is all over, he had 3100 active patients, and it seems that the dentists that are being interviewed dont take on that kind of load.
I had no formal training, but am what I guess you call a floater, I have done some chairside with the Dr.
I clean and sterilize instruments,develop xrays,do filing, make phone calls,schedule patients, use the computer to do the scheduling, set up rooms, and whatever else needs to be done, including trash, bank runs etc...
I will be 48 this summer , I thought I had found a job I could spend the next 20 years at, I dont want to have to go back out and pound the pavement.
I know everything happens for a reason , but this one has me stymied.
any suggestions?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 12:08 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Wow, I bet you have all kinds of things running through your head...

If the practise is purchased by a smart business person, I think they would make an effort to hold on to the staff. When it comes to the management and procedures of the office, you all know the drill (pun intended) and the patients know you- that continuity is important during the transition.

I also think that since you have many skills and can float, if any layoffs are to come about, they would lay off a licensed person (higher pay) and keep you to support the other hygienists, office staff, etc.

You'll have to let us know how this turns out. I'm betting that you will be fine

Old 01-26-2008, 03:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
That is a lot of patients for one dentist! Why don't you suggest to the widow that she shop the practice to a couple of young dentist that could split the load up. Then you will have a job and they will probably even have to hire somebody else!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,450 times
My husband and I are both dentists in Rhode Island, my husband has a CT dental license, we have been looking for a practice to buy for a few years. We were contacted by Schein about a scenario similar to the one you descibed but then were told that the widow had decided to try to sell the practice on her own. Since I was told about the practice by the schein people, I can't contact the seller directly as it would violate the confidentiality agreement. Maybe you could let the family know that there would probably be many willing buyers if there was a broker involved. I am sorry to hear about your boss, everything I heard that he was very well liked and an excellent dentist. Unfortunately, the longer the practice goes unsold the more difficult it is to sell as the patients start looking for another dental office. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment