Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 08:37 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times

Advertisements

Retail management can net you $20 per hour. Of course you will be salaried, working 60 hours a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 09:17 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willkeaveney View Post
Job search engine ignore where job qualifications come from and what it costs to get it. If you Google search for professions by salary, people ignore how long it takes to be trained in those professions or if they don't, the training periods are sinfully long and expensive.

What are the fastest and least expensive paths to getting $20+/hr so you can buy the books, go to school and learn what you actually want to learn?
My temp jobs pay 20+ an hour, but that's because I have a specialty in the legal field and years of experience.

A temp job for a receptionist in my city pays $15/hr.

Look at temp/seasonal work in a big city. Do you have special skills? Something you can do that someone would pay you to do that not everyone can do? If not, you may have trouble. Few jobs that pay for no skills and that anyone can do will pay decently, naturally.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:42 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
Sales. Learn to sell and you can write your own ticket.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:26 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
Without a degree? I recommend banking. I just started and I'm a bank teller making $14/hr. Moving up the ladder is an option and very easy (just need more time).

Old 08-22-2015, 06:45 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
LPNs typically make $20/hr to pass pills in a nursing home with what is essentially a one-year degree plus some prerequisite classes.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:02 AM

748 posts, read 820,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
LPNs typically make $20/hr to pass pills in a nursing home with what is essentially a one-year degree plus some prerequisite classes.
LPNs don't make that much. Closer to 12 where I live.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:32 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
You could focus on developing a specific skill. What about becoming an expert in AutoCad?

look: Autocad Drafter Jobs - Search Autocad Drafter Job Listings | Monster

Old 08-23-2015, 06:40 AM

788 posts, read 1,741,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
LPNs don't make that much. Closer to 12 where I live.
Yikes! Where is that? I think the norm is more $18-$25 an hour for LPNs. Nurse wages vary a lot. Some states pay more than others

Old 08-23-2015, 07:46 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Job search engine ignore where job qualifications come from and what it costs to get it. If you Google search for professions by salary, people ignore how long it takes to be trained in those professions or if they don't, the training periods are sinfully long and expensive.

What are the fastest and least expensive paths to getting $20+/hr so you can buy the books, go to school and learn what you actually want to learn?
My BIL went to PCC for 2 years, got trained in machinist. Makes $50 an hour now at Boeing, but it took 15 years. He also owns 3 houses.. Don't be in such a hell-fire hurry to make the big bucks. I could win 100 million on 6 balls hitting, but I know the odds aren't great for that to occur. The best bet is to LEARN a "Sell-able" skill...

Old 08-23-2015, 07:21 PM

307 posts, read 363,181 times
Quote:

Truth be told, technical certifications are usually the most assured way to get you to $20/hr and beyond. A lot of times it requires going to a community college to pickup the knowledge to prepare for the certification tests, or sometimes you can just buy a book for $30 bucks (or borrow from library) and can get more than enough knowledge to pass the test. Some certifications I know off the top of my head that meet this criteria are below.

1. Certified Pharmacy Tech (they make up to $20.00)
2. A+ Certified Technician (they make up to $20.00 with 2 years experience)
3. Certified Paralegal

There's more of course. Just know that whatever field you have your eyes on chances are that their is a certification program you can study for that plunges you into the $20/hr realm for that field. From there you can then have enough muscle to power through whatever it is you really want. Good hunting!!

One catch-22 though. All this is assuming you have a high school diploma (or GED). If you did not complete high school you have higher hurdles to leap over than all the things I just mentioned.

HS.

Last edited by HighSpeed; 08-23-2015 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: added more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment