Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:37 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Unemployment is surprisingly low. Wages aren't budging hardly at all (except for burger flippers ). They are basically handing out jobs to anyone with a pulse around here. Does this mean that America is winning the race to the bottom and sticking it to 3rd world countries like China?

Either way, go America!
Unemployment number are rigged. They use the U-3 instead of the U-6 which is the real unemployment rate. I do agree that wages are stagnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 04:29 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Right to Work - ALEC initiatives, corporate interests emulating china in their workplace ideologies . . . Yeah, we are on track to becoming The United States of West China soon. Suicide waivers and Where-you-drop retirement soon to follow!! woo hoo!!
I would say that China values the worker more than US corporations. China invests billions churning out graduates, as well as highly skilled labor. US corporations have abandon this pursuit, in favor of just giving the work to the cheapest bidder. This has resulted in the race to the bottom that has been driving the nation for some time. As a result, we lose the opportunity to properly train as many workers.

US corps would be toast if they had to rely primarily on the US workforce. We have skilled people, but we lack depth I'm afraid.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:11 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,063 times
Quote:
Agreed. We get the crumbs, and welfare. Hope everyone is enjoying their 60 hour work weeks (for 40 hours pay).
Yeah I love the people who brag about working 60+ hrs a week. As if it's fun to be them.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:15 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,075,941 times
All signs point to yes. America will be the next Palestine if we don't stop our Government and their obsession with working with terrorists.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:15 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
I would say that China values the worker more than US corporations. China invests billions churning out graduates, as well as highly skilled labor. US corporations have abandon this pursuit, in favor of just giving the work to the cheapest bidder. This has resulted in the race to the bottom that has been driving the nation for some time. As a result, we lose the opportunity to properly train as many workers.

US corps would be toast if they had to rely primarily on the US workforce. We have skilled people, but we lack depth I'm afraid.
So what are you doing to gain depth? And since when was it the job of US corporations to churn out graduates?

Old 08-25-2015, 05:16 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Yeah I love the people who brag about working 60+ hrs a week. As if it's fun to be them.
They are self-reliant, in the proud tradition of this fine nation.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:55 PM

370 posts, read 504,445 times
I believe, like the Great Depression, you will have to leave your city to find work with better pay. An example is the city I currently live in. Yes, you can find "office work" but they can pay anywhere between 8 dollars to 11 dollars (and that is the top end places like law offices or doctors who pay 11) the apartments to live here are going up anywhere between 750 to 800 for one bedroom-but how can you rent, lights, gas, food on that pay, you can't.
But I write how you can find office work-that being stated it takes a while to even get an interview. It can take months to land a nice office job so the question is how can I save for a rainy day when I am paid next to nothing. Also, businesses are constantly closing in this city so you will be unemployed. The answer is for me to choose a city where I can live and not worry about being homeless at any given time.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:22 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Unemployment is surprisingly low. Wages aren't budging hardly at all (except for burger flippers ). They are basically handing out jobs to anyone with a pulse around here. Does this mean that America is winning the race to the bottom and sticking it to 3rd world countries like China?
China is not a third world country...parts of it maybe. But the skyline of Shanghai will put New York City to shame.
And my wages are doing quite well.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:30 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:

This contradicts your original thread about China.
China churns out very educated workers, many professionals, and the middle class is growing like crazy. But there is a worker class that is all but enslaved. Remember the article about China Apple plant workers that had it so miserable the plant put up suicide nets on it's roof?
Besides that - China is experiencing some serious economic downturns currently.
There is no race to the bottom, what you are seeing is a race to global equilibrium. Part of globalization. That doesn't always work out in the US favor, but it's inevitable. The best one can do is adapt, train, overcome, compete....or all of you can just sit back and rant about it on the internet.

Last edited by Dd714; 08-26-2015 at 03:38 PM..

Old 08-27-2015, 04:00 AM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Besides that - China is experiencing some serious economic downturns currently.
There is no race to the bottom, what you are seeing is a race to global equilibrium. Part of globalization. That doesn't always work out in the US favor, but it's inevitable. The best one can do is adapt, train, overcome, compete....or all of you can just sit back and rant about it on the internet.
The richest man in China says the government needs to give up fantasy high growth. Seems like that is what is happening. The banks and the government shouldn't be inflating growth bubbles in the first place.

I don't really have to rant about the move towards equalibrium. The economy has not been this good in the U.S. for some time. Best house, worst neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment