Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 08:03 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

They should have paper work immediately or if there will be a delay, push back the start date as they are the responsible party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:18 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
What sort of company? Mom and Poop with 27 employees? Or fortune 500 with 27,000 employees and you are dealing not only with the hiring VP but also with HR that are aware of EVERYTHING that has been offered to you?

Only you know the strength of the company from your conversations with them...but this is certainly at least a yellow flag....and what earthly difference is one week going to make? You won't even find your way to the john in the first week, let alone contribute anything productive during their "busy season".

Old 08-25-2015, 08:57 AM

89 posts, read 123,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
But a written offer does not offer you any protection, either.
Agreed, but I'd feel more comfortable with a written offer than a verbal.
Just this past month I was offered a short term consulting job (verbally), waited for the paperwork, and after a week phoned the company again. They were all apologetic and said their budget was cut and asked if I would work for less. No go. Good thing I didn't turn down another offer that had come in that week.
I wouldn't rely on any verbal agreement, and since companies can simply email you paperwork it shouldn't take more than 24-48 hours to receive written documents. If they can't get their act together to do that I'd be concerned about how they operate.
Good luck!

Old 08-25-2015, 09:00 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
What sort of company? Mom and Poop with 27 employees? Or fortune 500 with 27,000 employees and you are dealing not only with the hiring VP but also with HR that are aware of EVERYTHING that has been offered to you?

Only you know the strength of the company from your conversations with them...but this is certainly at least a yellow flag....and what earthly difference is one week going to make? You won't even find your way to the john in the first week, let alone contribute anything productive during their "busy season".
Freudian slip?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:01 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
Hi all,

Today I received a call from a company offering me a job. That's great and all, but they want me to start exactly 2 weeks from today (well, 2 weeks and 1 day because of Labor Day). To do this, I would have to give notice to my current employer today. I could do it but when I asked for the paperwork, they said that takes a few days to process. I was under the impression to never resign from a current job until the next job gives you formal paperwork.

On top of that, I asked for a start date one week later (a total of 3 weeks) and they pushed back on me, saying it was a very busy month for them and they would prefer I start sooner. I haven't responded to that yet. Should I be suspicious?
Tell them you will be happy to report two weeks from the receipt of an official job offer and that to do so earlier would be a disservice and against the agreement you made with your current company.

Everybody wants you to honor your obligations to them, but screw the other guy. They can't have it both ways.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:45 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
I agree - make yourself available to start 2 weeks from the date of the written job offer and then, only if you agree to the terms stated within the offer. Tentative congratulations to you.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:56 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

LOL. I agree with most everyone else OP. Keep your current job until you get a WRITTEN offer letter. I don't agree with those who say it's OK to leave without giving two weeks notice to your current company. I don't believe in burning bridges, so I always give two weeks notice even if I hated my last job. If the new job doesn't appreciate me being courteous to my former employer, they aren't a company I want to work for.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:02 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
Eh, I can go either way on this issue. A written job offer is worth exactly as much as an oral job offer, although it does prevent miscommunications about pay/title/benefits. I don't think the OP is wrong for taking a hard line approach, but I also wouldn't disagree with giving notice before having the written offer in hand (since they are essentially worthless).

Old 08-25-2015, 05:12 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Default Before you give notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
Hi all,

Today I received a call from a company offering me a job. That's great and all, but they want me to start exactly 2 weeks from today (well, 2 weeks and 1 day because of Labor Day). To do this, I would have to give notice to my current employer today. I could do it but when I asked for the paperwork, they said that takes a few days to process. I was under the impression to never resign from a current job until the next job gives you formal paperwork.

On top of that, I asked for a start date one week later (a total of 3 weeks) and they pushed back on me, saying it was a very busy month for them and they would prefer I start sooner. I haven't responded to that yet. Should I be suspicious?
It sounds like they are in too much of a rush. They seem to want the option to bail on the offer if they feel like it. Also look them up on glassdoor.com. It could give you some insight as to what it will be like working there. What they can do than is change things like salary.

If you quit your old job and they change their mind you are the one out in the cold.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:48 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
A written offer or lack thereof is not a reflection on the company. Out of the boatload of jobs I've held I've had a grand total of 1 written offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment