Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 07:40 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times

Advertisements

I'm being laid off as the job I've been doing for the last for years has been changed and I don't qualify. So I was told verbally my last day will be 9/19. But they told me I won't get any paper work as I'm only PRN, however, I was hired 4 years ago as an employee. Don't they have to give me a separation notice of some sort to take to the unemployment office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 07:52 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
What is PRN?

Old 08-27-2015, 08:57 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
An on call/as needed employee.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:09 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
Each state has its own formula for how much money you must have earned over X amount of time. You need to check with your state to see if you meet their minimum qualifications.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:11 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,963,123 times
Welcome to Georgia the we don't care about you as an employee state!

You apply and the state will determine your eligibility (your former employer does not decide if you are or are not eligible). When you apply the reason for termination is and only is "they eliminated my position". Do not get dragged into a detail discussion or led down a path of doing the employers job. Stick to the position being eliminated and nothing else was offered. Even if they say your employer said this or that, all you say is I don't recall anything else because I was so upset at being unemployed. It's not your job to justify (although GA is backwards on this) getting benefits, the law says you get benefits unless its determined you are not qualified for benefits. Let your former employer do their own job of providing sufficient documentation to disqualify you, don't do it for them.

As an FYI, when you are hired to do a job and the duties of that job significantly changes, the employer has essentially ended your previous position and have no other available position you are qualified for.

I'm editing my response as you were hired On Call / Fill In. Unfortunately, you are not qualified for unemployment. Under Barry v. Baldwin and Campbell v. Poythress, two cases decided by the GA Superior Court, your employment was only to fill in and not full-time. You knew going in tot his that your hours each week could be eighty or zero. You are now getting zero.

I still want you to apply in hopes that your employer never responds and you get benefits by default. You may also luck out and have the position declared eliminated (get benefits) versus no hours (no benefits). It will be an uphill battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment