Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:14 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times

Advertisements

I never took time off. I would come to work sick. I have had bosses who frowned on any time taken off. It was counted against you, no matter what the reason. The only medical reasons you could take off were things like Aids, etc.. Even having Pneumonia didn't count. I was at work still coughing up blood because I had taken too much time off ( 3 days) and even with a doctor's note, I wasn't excused. After that, I figured, I had better die, because I cannot get sick again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 07:15 PM

It was also very hard to find dentists, car service, etc., only on weekends or nights, too.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:26 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I never took time off. I would come to work sick. I have had bosses who frowned on any time taken off. It was counted against you, no matter what the reason. The only medical reasons you could take off were things like Aids, etc.. Even having Pneumonia didn't count. I was at work still coughing up blood because I had taken too much time off ( 3 days) and even with a doctor's note, I wasn't excused. After that, I figured, I had better die, because I cannot get sick again.
You NEED to get another job. Health comes first in my book and should in any good employer's book. Coming to work sick puts everyone at risk including yourself. Please do yourself a favor and find something else...

Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Radek - I've followed your posts and you know I like you very much, but, I disagree with you on this. If OP is a contractor, this would require her employer to pay her OT on the 10 hours at time and a half. They are soooo not gonna like this. I am currently a contractor, and have to take off regularly for doctor's appointments. They did not know this in the beginning of the contract...I did not know either though, but my feeling is if they're not paying for you in your absence, it shouldn't be a big deal, unless you're the only one working on your project. I would still find a way to anticipate what the May deliverables would be and cross-train. The reason they hire contractors is they don't want to make the commitment. It would be unfair of them to ask that you make a commitment a direct hire employee would make. Did you get this job through a recruiter? If yes, ask your recruiter for advice. I do whenever I have issues over time.

Good luck!
Thanks for the kind words, but I guess I was just thinking of a looser arrangement than signing your timecard with 60 hours. Though, the OP states that he doesn't get OT (check your local labor laws for legality, theres only a few places where you're not allowed OT).

I was just thinking that he could work a deal out where he works more for a few weeks, and then he gets to take time off thats equivalent. But, again the big thing is talking to whoever signs your paychecks. If thats where you work, great... if its a staffing agency, then talk to them.

And to nebulous, if you walked into my work coughing up blood... *I*, being a coworker would drive your ass home if necessary. There's being a good employee and then there's being stupid.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:58 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
to clarify:

I had mentioned this prior to my start date and they said no, we need you to start immediately so I had to cancel the trip

Contractors don't get overtime. It is a standard bill rate. Even if I work 60 hrs a week I get only the hourly rate

It's only 14 days, I don't see that as a large chunk of time? Regular employees in this company get 18 days a year off. Infact I know a few employees on another team that have taken 15-30 days off being there only 6 months.
You are not an employee but a contractor. Pointing fingers at others will not change that. You do not have details of their contracts or any special arrangements.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:24 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
Quote:
Okay, horrible for you but what about the people around you that you were infecting? I went in a few times but nothing so serious as coughing blood. That is ridiculous; why would you even want to work for someone like that?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
You NEED to get another job. Health comes first in my book and should in any good employer's book. Coming to work sick puts everyone at risk including yourself. Please do yourself a favor and find something else...

Don't worry, they fired me because of politics. The manager hired me, but the supervisor wanted her own people in there. They fired 2 other people too. I had gone to Employee Assistance and they did nothing. I said, "Make a record, because if these people continue with this, someone has to take notice."
Hire...fire...hire...fire...if someone has power and doesn't want you in their sorority, you're gone.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
Okay, horrible for you but what about the people around you that you were infecting? I went in a few times but nothing so serious as coughing blood. That is ridiculous; why would you even want to work for someone like that?

One time, they closed for a snow day. Too much snow, so they called us all and closed up for the day.
About 3 days later, my boss gets ahold of me. Says, "You took off and hadn't accumulated enough PTO time for them to pay you, so they had to dip into your vacation time to pay you." She was mad.
I said, "Oh, I didn't know they were going to do that, I thought I'd just not get paid for that day."
She said, "Don't do it again, or you'll be written up for it." I said, "But I have only been here 2 weeks, so it wasn't enough time to accumulate any PTO time yet." She ignored what I said and said, "Don't do it again!"

She didn't want you taking off sick. She told me if I wanted to go to a doctor, I had to find one who I could see during my lunch time. I wound up with the infection going into my kidneys. I never took off. I was terrified of her and so were others. She would have fired me for taking off.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:49 PM

654 posts, read 3,455,726 times
Quote:
One time, they closed for a snow day. Too much snow, so they called us all and closed up for the day.
About 3 days later, my boss gets ahold of me. Says, "You took off and hadn't accumulated enough PTO time for them to pay you, so they had to dip into your vacation time to pay you." She was mad.
I said, "Oh, I didn't know they were going to do that, I thought I'd just not get paid for that day."
She said, "Don't do it again, or you'll be written up for it." I said, "But I have only been here 2 weeks, so it wasn't enough time to accumulate any PTO time yet." She ignored what I said and said, "Don't do it again!"

She didn't want you taking off sick. She told me if I wanted to go to a doctor, I had to find one who I could see during my lunch time. I wound up with the infection going into my kidneys. I never took off. I was terrified of her and so were others. She would have fired me for taking off.
Why would you be terrified of someone else like that? Obviously she is completely NUTS and STUPID to sit there and deny you with the medical care you really needed. No person on this earth is worth you losing your health, and life for.

If that was me I would have told her where she could shove it...nobody is going to tell me that I can't go to the doc for a serious condition because of the fact its not convenient for them. I would not have her fire me, I would have just quit. I surely am not going to put my health at risk for someone that stupid, or anyone for that matter. Definitely not worth my time!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
Quote:
I wound up with the infection going into my kidneys. I never took off. I was terrified of her and so were others. She would have fired me for taking off.
Are you serious?

I had the flu recently and took off 4 days! Trust me, if you were that sick and they didn't allow you to take time off they are exposing themselves to a huge lawsuit. It is very strange for any employer to behave like this. You may have a case to take to the labor board and sue their ass till kingdom come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment