Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 05:09 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times

Advertisements

I have two friends, a married couple in their early forties with one child, who appear to be at pay levels well below the norm despite years of faithful and satisfactory service. I need some ideas from the floor as to how to deal with their situation.

I want to emphasize as well at the outset that my reason for seeking help is that all or of us are introverts by basic nature, and not possessed of a personality oriented toward "selling ourselves".

The husband is a animator/commercial artist, working in an area where established studios sometimes send sub-contract work in pursuit of lower wage levels. Despite the fact that all his annual reviews have turned up no obvious conflicts or negatives, and that he has pursued additional skills via continuing education, his base pay has not been raised in seven years.

The wife works for a specialized medical practice (oncology) based some 200-plus miles away, in a growing, retirement-centered community located near the seacoast. She works from home, dealing mostly with insurance and specialty-pharmaceutical concerns, and has also worked hard to maintain current skills and knowledge. Her skills are apparently valuable enough that she is expected to spend several days working at the "home office" from time to time; but she is indisposed to relocation due to the higher cost of living, responsibility for the safety of a housebound parent, and lack of opportunities for her spouse; her base bay is only about $32K annually.

Both are active participants in a church which emphasizes traditional Biblical values, but does not emphasize proselytization or unnecessarily-outgoing or manipulative behavior. They have previously enrolled in multi-level marketing programs but with only limited success. A seasonal-sideline tax-preparation business, in which we are all engaged, brings in some additional income.

My thanks to anyone who can offer some advice with regard to this problem.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-29-2015 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 09:13 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
My advice is that you need to stay out of it. This has nothing to do with you. MYOB.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:24 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
I should have added that our lives have been intertwined for may years; I lived in a spare room at their house while mine was being remodeled, and the lady is the closest thing to a daughter I will ever have. We are about as close as three people can grow, but I tend to believe that the similarity of our personalities is preventing us from coming up with a new strategy. But thanks for the interest.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-29-2015 at 09:48 PM..

Old 08-29-2015, 09:30 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,344 times
They can try researching market value for their current positions and discussing a wage increase from their current employers, but the best way to get paid market value (or closer to it, since you're saying that they're starting far below market) is to switch jobs. They need to start interviewing. Even if they don't want to leave their current jobs, having an offer in hand can be used to negotiate their current salary.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:03 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
They should talk to some recruiters in their field to see if they really are underpaid...at that point, they can explore other options.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:19 PM

295 posts, read 281,378 times
The oncology practice that the wife works for probably participates in clinical trials - testing new cancer drugs. If so, there would always be people in and out monitoring the studies (Clinical Research Associates). Maybe she can have a chat with one of them about what the job entails and how to break in to the field. She might be able to stay where she is and at least double her income. The industry is always hiring but there is a lot of outsourcing and contracting so her first jobs might not include sweet benefits packages but it's a foot in the door.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:26 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
We are about as close as three people can grow, but I tend to believe that the similarity of our personalities is preventing us from coming up with a new strategy. But thanks for the interest.
What other strategy is there but to look for new, higher paying jobs?

Old 08-30-2015, 04:40 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
My advice is that you need to stay out of it. This has nothing to do with you. MYOB.
^^This! Because unless they ask you for advice, they aren't asking for any.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
^^This! Because unless they ask you for advice, they aren't asking for any.
Exactly. It doesn't matter how close you are. It's not your business.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Exactly. It doesn't matter how close you are. It's not your business.
This.

Husband works in the bottom rung from what you're describing. People send work that way for one reason and one reason only: price. It's his business if he wants to work there. Maybe it's a revolving door and he's the only sucker staying for seven years; maybe he's not good enough to get work at the studios directly or for a company they subcontract to when they care more about the product. Either way, it's not your business. Wife works from home which is a huge perq for many people, especially those with young kids. $15/hr is about what medical billing and coding pays anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment