Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:06 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times

Advertisements

Having read your responses. I think its pretty clear that you've had it with the management at your current dealership.

Start making plans to leave. A wise man would also cut his expenses on the off chance that you have to take a severe pay cut.

Bodybuilder or no, there are ways to get protein and put on weight without dropping hundreds of dollars on shakes and expensive meat. You obviously make enough to support your lifestyle, but it would probably be prudent to start living a little more frugally since you plan to switch jobs in the forseeable future.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 02:14 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I've never met a capitalist who didn't want to make more money. I can tell you don't know how to think like an entrepreneur. Continue being a worker bee.....your mind-set is better off at the lesser of the two dealerships.

I'm a VP at a top 10 bank with an MBA at a top 50 school----and I don't make $160k/year-----I think you should do less complaining and do more working. There's a price to pay to make the big money-----a very large price. If you're not willing/able to change the rules, or you're not willing to play by your employer's rules.....then take the lesser job.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-01-2015 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 02:15 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleygilbert View Post
[snip]

This isn't a simple case of "leave a horrible place making 160K to go to a great place making 140k" - This is a case of "leave a horrible place making 160K to go to a great place where I could make 150 or I could make 50K"
If the luxury dealership doesn't work out, could you go to another higher volume dealer (another brand, perhaps)? If you wouldn't make the same ~$160K that you are making now, I'd stay for the money. It's not worth the risk.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-01-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 04:51 PM

908 posts, read 961,081 times
Quote:
I just bought a house recently - I spent 15 K on furniture, TVs, grill, etc....
I paid my house down from 244 balance to 220 - I could probably sell it for 250
I paid off all my student loans

40K with no real debt (everybody has a car and a house payment, so I don't consider that debt) and some equity in my house is not a bad position to be in

that's fantastic you paid off your student loan and most of your debt. kudos! but no, not everyone has a car payment, esp a $700/month one. that's rather insane.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:20 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
I just bought a house recently - I spent 15 K on furniture, TVs, grill, etc....
I paid my house down from 244 balance to 220 - I could probably sell it for 250
I paid off all my student loans

40K with no real debt (everybody has a car and a house payment, so I don't consider that debt) and some equity in my house is not a bad position to be in
You sound like you are i a great position.

If you are making $160K/year selling cars, you have mad sales skills.

Start looking around for what you would enjoy selling that has the potential for $200+K/year.

Good luck.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:47 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Brantley gilbert:

you aren't asking for advice as much as looking to rant. You have also accused people of "not understanding unless you are in the business'' more than once.
Stick it out or change jobs, but don't whine here to us. We can't help you then.

You KNOW what you should do, we don't.

You said in YOUR post #35 that "everyone has a mortgage and car payment, I don't consider that debt".
I beg to differ.
We have a paid for home, and only pay "taxes"...a PROBLEM EVERYONE DOES have, I believe to one degree or another.
We have an '06 and a '14 Both paid for. The 06 was financed,....for a 5 year loan paid off in just a little over 2 years. The '14 was paid for in cash, the way I prefer it. The '06 was only the 2nd vehicle I ever financed in my over 50 years of living.

SO, DEBT is DEBT,whether or not "everyone has it".

If you HATE the job QUIT. If you hate the BOSS, QUIT.

If people aren't driven in the car business, then cars don't move. I have walked off lots several times due to a rude salesperson or other dealer employee who was hyperactive-over-driven to make a sale, or a final sales finance guy who actually pounded the desk when I refused to buy an extra extended warrantee.

You can work just 5 years, save $75K maybe, and with about $400k invested [if you get a good return}. Or spend another year and have about 1/2 a mill. that you won't know what to do with.

If you decide then to take a lower paying, less stressful job, then you will at least have a good nest egg.

If you quit, DON'T LOOK BACK! You cannot!

If it doesn't work out,it doesn't but at least you will know you tried.
and maybe you will find peace.
We ALL have issues with working, and most don't feel appreciated and feel overworked and under appreciated.

I do, however, wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:34 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
the biggest thing is that we're always walking on egg shells. The general manager is a complete f*cking a*hole and he has a ridiculous temper so he gets furious over nothing all the time and then you have to sit there and take it.

The other store is ran by a very VERY nice man who runs the place like a country club
THIS is the key point -- the decision-maker. It doesn't matter if you have to wear long sleeves or change plates. I once had a job that required an advanced degree. There were days when I spent the whole workday making copies. Some people, when they had to do that, were pissed. My attitude was, if they want to pay me $30/hour to make copies, I'm happy to do it. But, I've worked in other places where I couldn't sleep at night and had knots in my stomach every day walking into the office building. All I could do was count the hours until lunch, when I could have a 10 minute break and get outside to get a sandwich. It was a horrible place where expectations constantly changed and you would be yelled at no matter what you did. I saw grown men crying at their desks occasionally. That was awful and made life a living hell.

If the big issue is just doing stuff that seems beneath you or complying with rules you think are idiotic, I say suck it up for a while to save as much money as you can. But if the issue is that your entire life is being ruined because the workday is so stressful and awful that it's even making you physically ill, then it's not worth it.

Quote:
I'm not even sure I can pay my bills on 50K a year

My mortgage is 1900 alone and my car payment is 700 alone - I drive a gorgeous newer luxury sports sedan. I spend 400-500 a month alone on food as I'm an avid bodybuilder.
This is a lifestyle choice. You love your car, have a great place to live, and can spend quite a bit of money on food you either like or want to eat as it helps with your passion for bodybuilding. This is all a balancing of choices. Your job enables you to do all that. If the job is really awful, then cut out some of those other things. Sell the car for a cheaper one. Eat cheaper food. Get a roommate who will pay rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
that's fantastic you paid off your student loan and most of your debt. kudos! but no, not everyone has a car payment, esp a $700/month one. that's rather insane.
Yes, I want to emphasize that again. $700 is a really large car payment. We have two luxury cars and are a couple decades older than you and neither of those cars had a $700/mo payment. When I was 26 I had no car payment and a 12 year old car.

I'd stick it out as long as I could -- until I just couldn't take it anymore. And until that point, I'd be socking away as much cash as I possibly could, to enable me to leave when I reached the breaking point, even if that meant I'd make 100K less per year.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:12 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
It is quite easy to go from the AAA firm to the AA firm. You can do that any time.

Going from the AA up to the AAA? Not so easy, especially when you were there and stepped down.

You must decide at what point you wish to get off the career ladder.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:17 PM

714 posts, read 747,446 times
Judging by all your threads I can't tell if you are really good at making up stories or really bad at making any sort of decision for yourself...

Old 09-02-2015, 02:57 PM

780 posts, read 678,490 times
Quote:
it's not just that, although that is very annoying in itself - especially for me being a big guy who sweats easily,

the biggest thing is that we're always walking on egg shells. The general manager is a complete f*cking a*hole and he has a ridiculous temper so he gets furious over nothing all the time and then you have to sit there and take it.

The other store is ran by a very VERY nice man who runs the place like a country club

Every. Single. Workplace. have their own crap.

I can give you a list of reasons why my workplace is the best place to work at and a longer list of reasons why a person should just walk out the door already.

I'm not sympathetic towards your GM's treatment and your dress code. My husband is in the military, makes pennies compared to you and goes through 10x crazier working environment so, sorry (not sorry). Hearing your stories just sounds like you're whining like a little... you know.

Again, if your goal is to be well off, I just don't understand how dropping more than half your paycheck is going to help you reach that. I'm not saying it's impossible at $50k, but you really have to evaluate what you want more. A bffl for a boss at $50k or a Nazi who'll get you were you to go, faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment