Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 03:10 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times

Advertisements

My feeling on this issue is...

It's bad enough that I have to associate with some of these people for 40 hours per week...
Why would I want to spend any more time than is absolutely necessary with those people?

Others may feel differently, but--aside from friendships with a very small number of people from my workplace--I never wanted to have anything more than a 9-5 relationship with most of the people with whom I worked.

I have friends, and I had work associates, and only on very rare occasions did those two groups overlap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 04:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
The outcasts are usually first to go...... Just remember that.
I disagree. My younger coworkers tend to socialize around the office while I... wait for it... work. My "maturity" has been noted by my manager in the past. Plus, management tends to not socialize, so once someone gets promoted, it can get awkward to be friends with other workers.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
The outcasts are usually first to go...... Just remember that.
Not always true, as KibbieKat already said hard work is noted over goofing off.

I remember years ago before I wised up and realized going out to Happy Hours was not a good idea, I had coworkers and higher ups spill the beans after a few cocktails regarding how bad their marriage was, or how they smoke pot, or how they cheated in college, etc.

Now these people that talk too much on Friday afternoon have to face the same people on Monday morning, if a boss had loose lips on Friday, down the road the person they may downsize is the one who knows too much of their personal business vs the worker who doesn't go to Happy Hour.

Because even though the person they spilled the beans to might remain tightlipped, in their mind this person could be a threat.

Not a good idea to socialize with coworkers and especially if alcohol is involved.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:43 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I disagree. My younger coworkers tend to socialize around the office while I... wait for it... work. My "maturity" has been noted by my manager in the past. Plus, management tends to not socialize, so once someone gets promoted, it can get awkward to be friends with other workers.
I think that's great but is very cultural dependent. Your workplace may not be as social; but in other places where it's expected to attend events/banquets/etc. outside of work (and you never attend), it makes a difference. In most cases, promotions are political and it's more beneficial to be social rather than the hardworking type that's considered "too serious" and "boring": it usually goes along with likeability.

I generally like my coworkers but I have little interest in them outside of work. While I agree befriending coworkers is usually sticky business (they will sell you out if it means saving their own job), at least get along/be civil enough that you're not an outcast.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:59 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I wouldn't consider my coworkers close personal friends. I am FRIENDLY with them, but with the exception of one guy who I am fairly close with, we aren't tight friends.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:10 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
I get you.

I like my job, I chit chat with my co-workers. I just try keep my real life and my work life separate. What my co-workers and I have in common is work. The few times I find myself with them after hours, the conversation always leads to work. We talk about work. No thanks...

Old 09-05-2015, 01:12 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
Since I started my new job a little over 6 months ago I have kept it as strictly professional as possible. Now sure I'll say hi and bye and little things now and again but I no longer go out of my way to befriend my co-workers, and that's how I like it. When I get to work I don't want to get anymore involved with my co-workers than possible; simply do my job and interact with them as little as possible and go home.
In the workplace, the less they know about you, the less weapons the office b-word and the management Osama have to use against you. You've made the right decision. What is annoying about some workplaces is that they expect everyone to pretend that they would actually hang out with one another if they weren't forced to by the need to make a living.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:18 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times
It can be tricky being the "outcast" in a workplace where everyone, including the managers are friends. The co-workers and managers may not like you, but as long as you're productive enough they generally won't touch you. It can be an odd situation being a quiet, awkward person among highly extroverted people. You just have to focus on your work and be as pleasant as you can to your co-workers.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:15 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,155 times
Sometimes it's best to keep work and off time separate

Old 09-05-2015, 09:25 AM

590 posts, read 714,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
This is pretty much true.

Social value actually holds more value than even work ethic and results in some cases.

But if you're both a mediocre worker and don't try to socialize at work ... you'll be the first to go.
^^^THIS^^^

IS why I gave up my job and started working for myself driving semi truck. I worked my butt off at my old job, produced awesome results and busted my a** just to be thought of as a weirdo cause I didn't like to go out drinking all the time with the "guys" or what have you. I own my truck and pick my own loads and hours and only have to worry about myself at work. I think its the most ridiculous thing ever that the above is indeed true. I dont fit in in groups, never have and never will, moreover dont care to fit in. "Fitting in" to me is not that important, making money is, and if I have to be a hermit and antisocial to do so then so be it. I was sick of the ridicule and bullying I received at work because of my indifferent personality. Now I make more money then my old co workers do and I'm happier...and its awesome to rub it in their faces whenever I see them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment