Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 05:52 PM

948 posts, read 1,138,609 times

Advertisements

One of my friend started at this new work place. Turned out its a very small office building with very friendly and nice people to work with. But they don't follow any rules or regulations when it comes to company policy/regulations.

For instance Some employees feel 'mini skirt' is acceptable to wear at work though the company policy mandates business casual. Obviously, management and co workers (mostly guys) do not have a problem with this attire. and these newly hired eye candies are the center of attraction. Also lately one guy( senior level) started getting a new hair style ( hair running just along the center of the head from front to back) and clean shave the rest. That's acceptable as well since he is been with the company for a while. The company was acquired by another company lately but head quarters located in a foreign country, they don't know what's going on here though the company handbook specifically mandates the requirements which even the director of this particular location conveniently ignores.

Since being a very small office space, if you bring up this unprofessional attitude to the HR you will become unpopular in no time plus other consequences. What's the best way to handle this situation since the upper management including director has given the unspoken agreement to these practices.

Lately a big shot from the head quarters came for a visit and surprisingly noticed some of these stuffs going on during one of the meetings with upper management. Not sure if there will be further orders to strictly enforce the company policy moving forward. Does it need to be reported to the higher level to enforce the rules to maintain a professional work environment so employees won't just take it for granted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 06:01 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
How about you, or your friend, just do your jobs and stop worrying about other people's attire and hair?

Old 09-04-2015, 06:02 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Honestly, you don't manage it.

It's management's job. It is the responsibility of the highest level of management at that office. If he gets beat up by visiting senior officers, then he will do it. If an entry level employee complains, they will ignore it. If an entry level employee tries to manage the execs from the bottom of the rung, they won't be "managing" any longer.

I can't manage from the bottom or be a back-seat driver. I am not in the driver's seat.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:28 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Your friend needs to follow the rules and ignore others who do not

Old 09-04-2015, 10:18 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
But the rules need to be clearly defined -- and not changed on a whim because some geezer-in-the-making "might" take their business elsewhere, or because some new supervisor from outside the organization might want to "flex his/her muscles".

Old 09-05-2015, 02:49 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
One of my friend started at this new work place. Turned out its a very small office building with very friendly and nice people to work with. But they don't follow any rules or regulations when it comes to company policy/regulations.
I finally came to the conclusion that "I'll follow the rules, if others won't or don't will not matter to me. I am responsible for my own actions, not others"

Old 09-05-2015, 08:03 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
What's ''professional'' varies from one work environment to another.
Who cares? Dress the way you want, style your hair the way you want, and let others do the same.
If there is a dress code, follow it. If others don't then choose whether to join them or not.
Meanwhile, do your job to the best of your ability because that is what they hired you to do, not to be the ''fashion police''! LOL

Old 09-08-2015, 09:17 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Erin Brockovich's co-workers didn't like the way she dressed...

Old 09-08-2015, 09:47 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Unless it's your job to worry about it, don't worry about it. Jeez. There's always someone who wants to start trouble.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:53 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I'd follow the rules and not say anything about anyone else. Your new bigwigs have visited, they now know what's going on. It's up to them to enforce or not. If they do decide to enforce, you'll be ahead of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment