Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 11:56 PM

7 posts, read 80,127 times

Advertisements

I am 22 years old. I attended college for five years as a computer science major, but I dropped out a few classes short of matriculation.

After I dropped out of school, I started looking for a job, but no one wanted to hire me because I had no degree and no experience. I was broke, desperate, unemployed, and saddled with six-figure student loan debt. So, I started lying about having a college degree on my resume, and suddenly, dozens of companies started calling me in for interviews.

I ended up getting hired as a $25/hour software engineering intern at a reputable software company. On my resume, I put down that I had a degree and I told everyone on the team that I had a degree, but since the company hired me through a temp agency, I never got caught in the lie.

During my internship, I did very well. On paper, you'd think I was a weak/inexperienced programmer, but on the job, I could program better than most senior-level engineers. My performance reviews were always off the charts, so they decided to keep my on as a $35/hour contractor for another six months. Everyone at the company loves me, and I'm sure they're going to extend me an offer for a full-time position at some point.

My concern is, if I do end up getting hired at this company, they're going to conduct another more extensive background check, and I'll probably get caught in my lie and get fired, and since this is the only company I've
ever worked at, I'd have burnt my only reference. Also, if I leave this company after 6 months to avoid getting caught in my lie, I won't be able to easily find another job that pays this much since I have no degree and minimal experience.

I pay my mother's medical bills and support my underage sister, so I can't afford to go even a week without a paycheck and I can't live on less than $50k/year.

What would you do in this sticky situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 12:44 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times
go back and finish the degree?

or look for a new job and don't lie? programming isn't one of those jobs that degrees are really required :S sure they like them, but a lot seem to value skill more than degree at the start of the career... you could just get a new job, don't lie, then get it later in time.

Or just keep waiting to be fired

Old 09-08-2015, 03:06 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Learn the meaning of the word: matriculation.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:30 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
How hard would it be to take a couple of necessary classes at night, on weekend, or via correspondence / internet?

If somebody called you out could you at least say you were too embarrassed to admit there was a problem and you are working hard to get all your paperwork completed?

Old 09-08-2015, 04:33 AM

370 posts, read 504,576 times
I think many people are doing this and now it makes since b/c now employers are asking for proof of the degree..before it wasn't like that-they took your word. Here's the thing, it might not be your "employer" that finds out but maybe coworkers...through social network or your own mouth..I say go back and finish-you will regret it and you will always be worried about your secret being found out.
Next time, don't lie...the truth always has a way to come to light

Old 09-08-2015, 04:47 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaalexandria View Post
I am 22 years old. I attended college for five years as a computer science major, but I dropped out a few classes short of matriculation.

After I dropped out of school, I started looking for a job, but no one wanted to hire me because I had no degree and no experience. I was broke, desperate, unemployed, and saddled with six-figure student loan debt. So, I started lying about having a college degree on my resume, and suddenly, dozens of companies started calling me in for interviews.

I ended up getting hired as a $25/hour software engineering intern at a reputable software company. On my resume, I put down that I had a degree and I told everyone on the team that I had a degree, but since the company hired me through a temp agency, I never got caught in the lie.

During my internship, I did very well. On paper, you'd think I was a weak/inexperienced programmer, but on the job, I could program better than most senior-level engineers. My performance reviews were always off the charts, so they decided to keep my on as a $35/hour contractor for another six months. Everyone at the company loves me, and I'm sure they're going to extend me an offer for a full-time position at some point.

My concern is, if I do end up getting hired at this company, they're going to conduct another more extensive background check, and I'll probably get caught in my lie and get fired, and since this is the only company I've
ever worked at, I'd have burnt my only reference. Also, if I leave this company after 6 months to avoid getting caught in my lie, I won't be able to easily find another job that pays this much since I have no degree and minimal experience.

I pay my mother's medical bills and support my underage sister, so I can't afford to go even a week without a paycheck and I can't live on less than $50k/year.

What would you do in this sticky situation?
You lied! You can't go back and fix that. Even if you go back and finish your degree now, your transcript will show your degree was conferred AFTER you started employment. The issue will be that you lied on your application, not that you don't have a degree. In all probability, no one will find out. Just be aware that if they do, you WILL most likely be terminated. I'd be very low key about going back and finishing your degree (for future employment prospects), then I'd learn a valuable lesson. Lying is a symptom of a bigger problem - a lack of integrity. No job is worth that. Many of us have learned that lesson the hard way.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:06 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
I think the only thing you can do for yourself now is do what it takes to finish your degree. This may not fix your conscience. But should the worst happen, you can at least get back on your feet quicker.

Also - at this point, you've got a six-figure student loan, but have little to show for it. That alone would make me want to get that degree.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:27 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Once you have experience, a degree is not nearly as important. Just stop listing it on your resume, and just apply at places. list the college you attended, and what years.

Finish it up with some classes on the side to actually get the degree so its useful for next time.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:42 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
Get the degree. If you do get fired at least you won't be lying for the next job. It's always better to tell the truth. Even if you tell your future employers to give you a 30 day trial to prove yourself.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:12 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
I say get the degree regardless. A few classes and you're done.

Reminds me of a funny story about a woman I worked with. She started at the company and tried to pass herself off as a chemical engineering graduate of Vanderbilt university. She wore Vanderbilt sweatshirts when working out in the plant and her car had numerous Vanderbilt stickers on it. She always talked about her days at Vanderbilt and refered to the football team as "we".

During an audit of the H.R. department one of my co-workers pulled her employment file at random. It turns out she graduated from TSU. TSU is a low level college that is at risk of losing its accreditation. It was pretty embaressing for the woman but they didn't fire her since she didn't lie when hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment