Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 03:27 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

At my employer, virtually all of the personnel I know of are salaried exempt. The standard work week is 45 hours with many personnel working considerably more. No one receives overtime pay nor do we get comp time if we do work beyond the standard 45 hours.

Our team is a support team and we work a defined schedule and have no flexibility in coming in late or leaving early, even with appropriate notice, if we need to. If we need to come in late/leave early, we must take PTO. If I need to take a longer lunch, I can't. Lunches are defined in three, one hour blocks, though we can decide among ourselves who takes which slot.

The role functions like an entirely hourly clock punching position. How would you feel about being salaried exempt under these conditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 03:33 PM

84 posts, read 175,684 times
You post about this crappy job all the time, except last time you said taking a lunch was banned by your company headquarters. So which is it?

I'm pretty sure everybody on this forum would feel the same about these conditions - not good. Why you needed to make a thread about it is beyond me.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:35 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
It sounds like an hourly job that they are calling salaried exempt. *shrug*

Old 09-08-2015, 03:37 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
what's the point in being salaried if you can't set own hours? Sure I know you have to show up to work, but if you are late a hour, you stay a hour; or in early, out early....

Plus I'm not used to the idea that you don't get overtime, I got it as an exempted employee, I can work 42 hours and won't get overtime, but if I work more than 42, I get it all as overtime, IE 5 hours for working 45 hours. The 2 hours is plus or minus, I could leave early and work 38 hours/week too if I needed too.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Read the FLSA requirements for exempt, and if you don't think you meet them, file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division. Otherwise, there's nothing you can do about it other than leave and work somewhere else.

U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division - U.S. Department of Labor-Handy Reference Guide to the Fair Labor Standards Act

Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Coverage (Exempt vs. Non-Exempt -- The Online Wages, Hours and Overtime Pay Resource

Old 09-09-2015, 08:14 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
What you've described is very common. Yeah, sometimes it seems like if you worked a minimum wage hourly job, with the same hours, you'd make more money at the minimum wage job. Except for certain things, workplaces can have whatever rules they want -- they can say you have to be there certain hours, they can say you have to take lunch at a certain time, they can say how long lunch is, and they can expect that you'll be there working for many hours. If you don't like it, you're free to leave. Yeah it sucks, and that's why labor unions arose and gave us things like the weekend. Sadly, they're being dismantled.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:27 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
At my employer, virtually all of the personnel I know of are salaried exempt. The standard work week is 45 hours with many personnel working considerably more. No one receives overtime pay nor do we get comp time if we do work beyond the standard 45 hours.

Our team is a support team and we work a defined schedule and have no flexibility in coming in late or leaving early, even with appropriate notice, if we need to. If we need to come in late/leave early, we must take PTO. If I need to take a longer lunch, I can't. Lunches are defined in three, one hour blocks, though we can decide among ourselves who takes which slot.

The role functions like an entirely hourly clock punching position. How would you feel about being salaried exempt under these conditions?
Yawn.

Dude, just get another job.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:08 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I would never take a salaried job.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:18 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Read the FLSA requirements for exempt, and if you don't think you meet them, file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division. Otherwise, there's nothing you can do about it other than leave and work somewhere else.

U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division - U.S. Department of Labor-Handy Reference Guide to the Fair Labor Standards Act

Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Coverage (Exempt vs. Non-Exempt -- The Online Wages, Hours and Overtime Pay Resource
This.

It's not about whether you have set hours, it's about the nature of the work you do.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:20 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,305 times
Overtime exemption is nothing but corporate exploitation and should be banned forthwith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment