Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:49 PM

418 posts, read 727,922 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I would definitely first look into a certificate program of some kind. Usually much more focused and shorter. Try a few classes here and there, maybe at a community college to try some things out. I would absolutely not commit to a new 4 year degree without a more specific plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 03:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
You need to figure out what field you want to go in. I don't think you need to get another degree unless you are looking to become a doctor.

Take time to figure out what you want to do and transition into that field. I have changed careers three times in my life without going back to school. Once by taking a step back and moving my way up and another time I was able to transition my career to a completely new field.

You are jumping the gun wanting to go back to school, especially when you have no idea what you want to do. Imagine sinking another load of money into a degree that is useless?

Old 09-09-2015, 04:09 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Have you considered law enforcement?

I believe the FBI would love someone with the accounting background that you have. Hiring process typically takes about a year plus and you already have a job so you can stay where you currently are.

Might even think about the military. Do a few years and see where it takes you. You're not in the same situation but I suggested doing 3-4 years in the Navy or Air Force to a friend, get him out of his mom's house and go see the world. He'd do his few years, have a GI Bill, veterans preference for many jobs and job training and experience. He decided it was safer staying at mom's house.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:05 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
you don't have to go back to 4 years of college, that is just not a good route to go

i have changed fields three times, and never did i go back for 4 years of college. The first time i took an 18 month vocational training, which i completed in 9 months and the instructor hired me before I graduated, and gave me all the clients I could handle (medical transcription). Several years later i took vocational training again because i wanted to continue to work in healthcare but in a clinical capacity so i took an 18-month vocational program (massage therapy) and worked for several years in that. One of those jobs had me doing administrative work managing a health clinic which i liked so i changed fields again to full time administrative assistant.

think of an area or a field that you like the atmosphere or could see yourself working in, get some vocational training in it, maybe 1-2 years tops, work in the field for a few years to see if you like it, and go from there. Health care is great because there is a shortage of workers, you can advance with work experience, and they often pay for your schooling, so if you start as a health tech, they will pay you to get your LVN or RN or MSN and have a job waiting when you get out. Traveling RNs (ideal for you, you sound un-encumbered) make $70,000-100,000 and you pick where you want to live and they often have a housing allowance as well.

life is too short to work at a job you hate. you are in great shape financially don't feel like you have to spend a ton of money to change jobs. better that you spend as little as possible, get working in a field you like , and have them pay you to learn and advance.

most jobs the schooling is not what is important, it is the work experience. so work in a field you like at an entry level and they will pay you advance by learning the business

Old 09-09-2015, 10:13 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
or if you're just burned out, take 6-12 months off and go travel or live someplace you've always wanted to live. I spent a year working at a national park because I wanted to live in a remote wilderness area, it was a blast. It didn't pay much, but i just saw it as a paid vacation that let me live at a national park for a year: all the hiking, camping, exploring, world class scenery, every weekend being a tourist.

that would give you a break to refresh and recharge and do something fun because you sound burned out and could use some clarity on the next step

Old 09-10-2015, 02:32 PM

780 posts, read 678,600 times
Like what everyone said, figure out what you want to do.

Since money isn't an issue for now, it wouldn't even hurt to look for an entry level job in the field you want to do. I think this is a better route than going back for another 4 years. You'll be just as new in the field as the person with no experience anyways.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:34 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
He might need to decide sooner than later. I might get fired next month

Old 09-12-2015, 03:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I am going to re-post a story about myself I posted on another one of the OP's zillions of threads.

My parents couldn't afford to send me to college. I worked my way through during the 70's and obtained my bachelor's at age 27. It definitely helped in the workplace.

At age 56, I found myself out of work after having been laid off like so many others around me. I was living off savings when I decided to get some student loans and went back to school to obtain a paralegal degree. I worked all the while I was in school. After I obtained the degree, it wasn't easy to get a job because of all the young competition but a friend put in a word at her company and they took a chance and hired me. It was a very good job. There I worked until I retired.

I wish I would have had $70,000 in savings. I don't think I had even $70.00 when I got that job and had student loans up the wazoo. My other debts involved things like food and rent.

So yay for me, right? No, absolutely not! I just did what any normal person would have done. I did what I had to do and didn't whine about it on the Internet. The OP has no idea how fortunate he is because he never has known any other life. I almost feel sorry for him. I can look back on my soon to be 70 years and say with pride that I feel I have accomplished something. He has 31 years he is already regretting his life and is frozen in time because he can't seem to move forward. All he can do is start thread after thread in forum after forum on a website where he lashes out at those who give him the same sensible advice he doesn't want to hear in response to either his posts or his PM's. Over and over again. What was that Einstein said about people who do that?

Sad, just sad.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am going to re-post a story about myself I posted on another one of the OP's zillions of threads.

My parents couldn't afford to send me to college. I worked my way through during the 70's and obtained my bachelor's at age 27. It definitely helped in the workplace.

At age 56, I found myself out of work after having been laid off like so many others around me. I was living off savings when I decided to get some student loans and went back to school to obtain a paralegal degree. I worked all the while I was in school. After I obtained the degree, it wasn't easy to get a job because of all the young competition but a friend put in a word at her company and they took a chance and hired me. It was a very good job. There I worked until I retired.

I wish I would have had $70,000 in savings. I don't think I had even $70.00 when I got that job and had student loans up the wazoo. My other debts involved things like food and rent.

So yay for me, right? No, absolutely not! I just did what any normal person would have done. I did what I had to do and didn't whine about it on the Internet. The OP has no idea how fortunate he is because he never has known any other life. I almost feel sorry for him. I can look back on my soon to be 70 years and say with pride that I feel I have accomplished something. He has 31 years he is already regretting his life and is frozen in time because he can't seem to move forward. All he can do is start thread after thread in forum after forum on a website where he lashes out at those who give him the same sensible advice he doesn't want to hear in response to either his posts or his PM's. Over and over again. What was that Einstein said about people who do that?

Sad, just sad.
Then what the hell am I supposed to do? I hate my career.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:33 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,980 times
Get some professional help. Seriously. Stop spending your time on posting one posting after another and make some calls instead. Focus on what's important, and that is not whining on forums, but getting your act together. If are really as unhappy in accounting as you say you are, either start your own business like someone suggested you do if you have your CPA designation or get out of the field. No matter where you land, you need to come to the realization that you can't do things your way unless you work for yourself. So, no matter what work you end up doing, your chiropractor and cable appointments are not worth losing your job over by not scheduling these appointments to disturb your workday. If, and if these actions of yours are truly because you are so miserable being an accountant and you just could care less about the work itself, do something that makes you happy so that you will not create discord. If working at the local Barnes & Noble (and I'm not suggesting B&N, but am just giving an example) will make you happy, agreeable, and will make you a good and reliable employee, do it while you figure out what you want to do with yourself.

Affiliate yourself with a career counselor. Most likely the career counselors at your local universities won't want to talk with you since you're not enrolled there or are a graduate of an Ohio university. So, expect that response and don't come back here saying to everyone that nobody will talk with you. That's the way it is. I've tried to seek out counseling here myself and they won't talk with me since I graduated from a university in Florida. So contact your alma mater and see if you can make a career counseling appointment via phone or Skype.

If a university career counselor can't be found, then find individual therapists that specialize in career counseling. Another route is seeking a life coach. There are tons of them out there. No matter what you do, find some type of work that will bring you happiness in the meantime if you can get off your high horse and know that it may be an $11 or $12 and hour job. Knowing you, you'll write back and say that no way on earth can you consider a job that low. Sometimes you have to step back to get ahead. You're no exception. You do it while you figure out what you want to do. It looks like you're on the road to being fired so you'll have lots of time to do this. At least use the time when you're unemployed wisely. Given your actions and behaviors you won't be eligible for unemployment, but you can always check and see if you might be able to find a counselor to work with at the unemployment office. Chances are you won't but at least one of those folks there at the unemployment office could at least refer you to someone that can help you.

Seeing your past posts, all you do is complain about this and about that, no matter what it is. If indeed you really hate accounting and find something you do like to do, you will have to overhaul your entire attitude about life. Hopefully if you find out what you really want to do it will at least bring you some contentment and a time to reflect on how you view the world around you. At least if you really do like something you'll be content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment