Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:58 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am not going to wait any longer. I'm already 31 years old. Why should I delay my career aspirations? It only prolongs the problem. The sooner I get the new degree/certification for a new career, the sooner I can START my new career.
The poster was simply saying plan it out. Plan on draining savings, plan on needing expensive COBRA until you get by the expensive Chiropractor 9 appointments and other issues, and until you can get on ACA..which has huge deductibles. Plan, plan, plan. Know what you want to do, know how much it will cost to get a degree in it, know what salary to expect in your newbie years in that field, know how many years it will take to get to a more livable salary..and plan on how much your annual savings burn rate should be during all those years..and see if it is plausible before jumping in with both feet.

Also recognize all good professional jobs are not exempt with the employer anticipating employees working < 40 hours, but rather to protect the employer when more than 40 hours is required. That will not change by changing the field you work in.

Neither will the need change to get pre approval (far > than the night before) for time off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 10:00 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The poster was simply saying plan it out. Plan on draining savings, plan on needing expensive COBRA until you get by the expensive Chiropractor 9 appointments and other issues, and until you can get on ACA..which has huge deductibles. Plan, plan, plan. Know what you want to do, know how much it will cost to get a degree in it, know what salary to expect in your newbie years in that field, know how many years it will take to get to a more livable salary..and plan on how much your annual savings burn rate should be during all those years..and see if it is plausible before jumping in with both feet.

Also recognize all good professional jobs are not exempt with the employer anticipating employees working < 40 hours, but rather to protect the employer when more than 40 hours is required. That will not change by changing the field you work in.

Neither will the need change to get pre approval (far > than the night before) for time off.
It'll be fine, because by then, Bernie Sanders will be president and have guaranteed paid vacation to ALL Americans, and limit the work week to 40 hours for ALL Americans.

#Bernie2016

Old 09-12-2015, 10:01 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
It'll be fine, because by then, Bernie Sanders will be president and have guaranteed paid vacation to ALL Americans, and limit the work week to 40 hours for ALL Americans.

#Bernie2016
I could use a great laugh. Thanks!

Old 09-13-2015, 07:51 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,145 times
Do you like kids? Have you considered teaching?

I was a chemist for 15 years before I decided that working 9-5 jobs for some corporation was not for me. I went back to school for two years to get my Masters in teaching. I now teach high school chemistry and for the most part I love it.

Some states offer alternate route programs where you don't have to go back to school, usually you'll have to take a test to get certified in your field.

There's a lot of crappy things about teaching in this country, people seem to hate teachers these days thanks to our politicians blaming us for all the ills of society. But if you can ignore that and just focus on working with the kids, it is a very satisfying and fun job.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:05 AM

93 posts, read 265,098 times
Quote:
Well, I think the following careers interest me:

Surveying
Cartography
Landscape Architecture
Geography

Nep, I'm glad to see that you have some idea of what you might want to persue outside of accounting. I used to work for an environmental organizaton and GIS/mapping skills were in high demand, in fact, sometimes we even had trouble finding enough good candidates for openings.

Please don't think you need to "start all over" at the bottom with community college though. There are master's and certificate programs in Geographic Information Systems, and while I'm not sure how many prerequisites they require, if they do require any you would be able to just focus on taking those specific courses, and not do a whole Associates or Bachelor's again. IMO there's no bigger waste of time and money than taking English 101, etc., again if you already have a degree, and I don't think there's anyone out there who would expect you to.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:25 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Quote:
Well, I think the following careers interest me:

Surveying
Cartography
Landscape Architecture
Geography

Why can't I do one of those?? I am a very spatial person and accounting is very nonspatial.
What is it you don't like about accounting? Is it the need to focus on many individual details and a need to be perfectly precise on reports? If so stay away from Surveying and Cartography. They are both very detail oriented and 'close enough' doesn't count.

In surveying you will run into a lot of senior people who will constantly remind you that 'Back when I was a rodman ...' so I think from what I have seen of your posts you wouldn't last long.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:49 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Scratch the idea of working retail or big box for part time work. If you think you were micro managed and treated like a kid at your current job you'll never survive retail. A lot of those employees are kids and having a lot of rules in place is pretty common.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:49 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
What is it you don't like about accounting? Is it the need to focus on many individual details and a need to be perfectly precise on reports? If so stay away from Surveying and Cartography. They are both very detail oriented and 'close enough' doesn't count.

In surveying you will run into a lot of senior people who will constantly remind you that 'Back when I was a rodman ...' so I think from what I have seen of your posts you wouldn't last long.
I am a very detail oriented person and very precise. What I don't like about accounting is that it's nonspatial, meaning it has nothing to do with the physical world. There's nothing visual or tangible about it. It's just numbers and rules and spreadsheets, reports, and it's very complex and it drives me INSANE.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
A. You don't have to go back to school to have a new career. The question is, what do you want to do?

B. You might look for something that is not such accounting heavy, and yet your background helps you get the job. I know two people who are accountants, but not CPAs and enjoy their jobs. One works for GE Capital. He visits various car and motorcycle dealerships to make sure that the vehicles that they loaned money on for floor plan, that they actually have. His wife works at a golf course. She manages the money for them, pays the bills, handles payroll, but she gets involved in other things also. Her evening and weekends are typically free, and she takes all her vacation time.

My guess is that you could do other jobs, like manage a restaurant or a motel, or some other business.

My guess is that you might not make as good a money as your present job, but its not all about how much you make, is it.

Finally, its hardly too late. I changed careers at 35, and went back to school for 3 years. I've never made as much money as I used to, but I'm happy.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:18 PM

22,170 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Then what the hell am I supposed to do? I hate my career.
get out of the job you hate, the career you hate, and do something fun. No not forever but for a year or two years so you can get out of this funk and realistically move forward. What environment is fun for you, not as an employee, but as a person. The mall? fine dining? art galleries? what places are uplifting, fun, pleasing to you as a person, NOT AS AN EMPLOYEE. Put yourself in an environment you like, wearing clothes you like, surrounded by something that gives you joy, whether that is food, or art, or fashion, or shopping, or nature, or wildlife, or whatever it is in your NOT WORK life that gives you joy.

Go get an entry level job in a place that nourishes your soul. Give yourself time to regroup, think, focus on joy, what makes you happy, and take it one step at a time. Take the pressure off yourself, you have the luxury to do this because you do have some savings. From a dejected pressure filled state of being, don't make major life decisions, just deal with the next 3 months or 6 months or a year. Focus on joy for you, happiness, and I guarantee that will lead you to your next job, which will at some point lead you to your next career.

only criteria is that it be in a setting YOU LIKE. start making lists of what is pleasing to you, what gives you joy, where is your pleasure, what makes you happy, what is fun for you, what is restful for you, what gives you energy, what is pleasing, what do you like to wear, where do you like to hang out, what are your hobbies, what have you "always wanted to" learn more about or explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment