Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 11:35 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

Job performance is also judged during a probationary period. Texting, etc aside, how is that going? If someone is doing a good job, the other things are correctable. The company might be willing to work with the potential employee. But if the work is not up to par, they pretty much have to let the person go after the probationary period.

Again, getting back to my own experience as part of a hiring team, I would never suggest firing an employee just because he or she texted to often on company time or took too long a lunch or whatever as long as his or her work was good. I would speak to the person about the rules. If they were willing to comply, fine, they could keep the job. If they weren't fine too, they would be let go at the end of the probationary period.

It's a two-way street. You want a good fit for all concerned. If the fit doesn't match, both sides are better off parting ways. Complaining because your needs aren't being met is a waste of time that should be spent finding something that does suit you.

A word of advice. The next interview, ask about leaving before the regular quitting time and what the company's policies are for medical appointments. Don't assume anything. Each company is going to be different. Saying the last place you worked allowed this or that is no reason to think the next will be the same.

Regarding texting, observe what the other employees are doing. If they are doing it from time to time, the employer is probably lenient along those lines. If they aren't, don't you be the one to try and set a precedence. Everyone is watching the newbie. Some might be nice enough to warn you if you misstep but some will take it to the supervisor. Make no mistake about it. It's not against you personally, it's just the nature of the beast.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:43 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
nep has stated in the past that his parents are wealthy, which explains a lot.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:48 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
This kind of stuff is why I'm so happy to be in the line of work I'm in...CONSTRUCTION! Specifically a welder. If someone pisses me off or does or says something I dont like, I can tell them to shove it up their a** without fear of being punished like a child...
That's it exactly. Some people don't mind the BS of office politics and some do. I have fought my share and won and lost but you have to know when and how to fight your battles.

If you don't want to deal with it at all don't get into it and do something else as you have done.

I recently had a cab driver who told me she had worked in the same profession as I in an office. we discussed the downside of working in an office. She was happy as could be now driving a cab. The next cab I took the driver told me he couldn't wait to quit driving a cab after telling me all about the drawbacks. He said he couldn't wait to into an office after completing his degree in business. And yes he knew what he was getting into because he had done office work before.

Not every occupation is for everyone. The thing is, each has it's own structure and no one person is going to change all of the things that make it what it is in order to suit their needs.

I was in the office culture long enough so that no one was able to make me feel like a child. It is much better today than when I began almost four decades ago so that helps. There is a different vibe today where people are treated much better. There are still rules though, so if someone finds them difficult to follow they should go where they feel they can best handle the situation.

on the Internet is not going to solve anything.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:51 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
You're out of touch with the modern millennial generation. Texting intermittently throughout the day or checking the news is extremely customary and virtually everyone does it, at every company I've EVER worked at. The only people who refrain from doing that stuff is people aged over 60.
And companies are laying off employees, that do this. It is actually stealing time away from your job for your personal satisfaction.

Quote:
Nowadays, it makes more sense to keep track of the news in real time instead of waiting until you get home at 6 pm to check the news. That's stupid.
What is stupid, is thinking that an employer should allow you to check out the news on company time.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:11 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Whatever I said a year ago does not matter or hold relevance to what's happening today. What matters is what I'm experiencing NOW. It is a shame that everyone in this thread is enjoying seeing me "fail."
What kind of an asinine response is that? People are trying to steer you in the right direction. In a corporate setting, you separate personal life from work. My hobby is video games. You think I'll be looking up videogame news at my cubicle during company time when I should be working?

Hell no.

There's plenty of people looking for a job and would have no problem taking yours, including me.

GROW UP.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
I noticed at the OP last post, it was done right after starting work for the day. Instead of going to work for which she/he is paid for, she/he is doing what they consider important and that is checking CD, and making responses.

What OP does not seem to realize, is that he/she has been placed on warning, and they are building a file that can be used to deny the OP unemployment compensation. Checking CD instead of going to work, shows how worthless they are to the company, and by building the right file they can lay the OP off in a month, and he/she will be denied workman's comp insurance benefits.

I know of some companies, that have metal in the walls of the building, that cuts off all cell phones from being able to be used in the office, to stop people like the OP from doing their thing instead of working. They also put key loggers on their computers, and know everything that the employee writes or reads on the computers that is not company business.

That is the extremes that companies are having to go through to get work out of employees like the OP. This type of employee, is what every employer dreads having. And as many jobs as the OP has had over the last few years, shows how worthless she/he is as an employee and they just give up and let him/her go for the good of the company.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:48 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,424 times
Have any of you out there wondered if any of this is actually true? I first saw postings by the OP on the Cleveland forum, where I was doing some research for myself about the area. I won't go into details because it isn't relevant to this thread, other than to say I followed up periodically there as well as on the Columbus forum, where the OP has made equally as outrageous remarks as here in this thread. I came on this thread to see what kind of discussion is going on, and it's all the same here too. Is this all for real, or is this person making this all up just to create the controversy and attention he is seeking? Is he really doing all these things - actually working and doing what he says he's doing? Is he really coming in to work late and leaving early? Is he really placing his cable needs above his work schedule? We'll never know the truth.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:51 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times
I totally agree, just look at how successful google is, are they a multi billion dollar company now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
I somewhat agree with your points.

I am Generation X so I do see and agree with your baby boomer issues. I agree the rules are outdated.

Quality of life is a huge factor that all employees should take advantage of, or you will end up divorced with angry children.

Working 12 hours a day is not acceptable especially when the job can be done in 6 hours. I do see people doing that ALOT...they brag that they worked 12 hours but then I see them taking long lunch breaks or having "several lengthy" hallway conversations. Time management is key.

My concern is that the Millenials are taking over soon. I see brilliant young adults. My concern is the work ethic. Millenials have to find that happy medium (be brilliant and work harder). I am not saying work until you bleed. Life is not about work. Don't live to work. Work to support your family.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:20 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times
Or get on obama care, now I see why it was so popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
At the very least, Monday you should detail all the upcoming appointment times with your manager and H/R first, to make sure they approve of this massive deviation pattern vs normal business hours.

With 2 appointments in one day this week, you were already almost out the door (and it probably is just gonna happen in 30 days), to need 9 days where there are appointments in 15 days (60% of schedule), they will most likely not wait 30 days.

You might as well find out NOW. Once they make a move, you either take COBRA ASAP or you need to find out chiropractor's LIST price per session..which is what you will be paying out of pocket. Corps via insurers who administer negotiate huge % discounts you as an individual cannot get.

Budget for a few hundred out of pocket per session..minimum.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:58 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
I'm not hoping for you to fail. I find it very sad that you are so clueless. Instead of fighting with everyone perhaps step back and realize what EVERYONE is telling you.

Going back to school to do something you enjoy won't do you any good until you fix your work ethic.

Last edited by veuvegirl; 09-12-2015 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment