Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 09:07 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
In addition, when an environment is not flexible, you have to mold yourself to that environment. 30 min lunches if necessary. Then you can take 2 fifteen min breaks (by law).
Federal law does not require meal or rest breaks (except for minors). Some states have their own laws regarding these requirements, but Ohio is not one of them.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:29 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Federal law does not require meal or rest breaks (except for minors). Some states have their own laws regarding these requirements, but Ohio is not one of them.
Even if it's not legally mandated, a lunch period being offered (whether it's taken or not) is customary. Not offering a lunch period makes people further stressed and erodes morale.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:43 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Even if it's not legally mandated, a lunch period being offered (whether it's taken or not) is customary. Not offering a lunch period makes people further stressed and erodes morale.
You're sure one to talk about eroding morale, Emigrations, after the way you treat your coworkers that don't conform to your little clique.

Last edited by convextech; 09-16-2015 at 10:44 AM..

Old 09-16-2015, 10:14 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Just because it customary doesn't make it required by law like the other poster stated. In a lot of jobs where there is no overlap employees can't take an unpaid meal period. There are times when I can't take a paid meal break because there would be no one else there to cover my duties while I'm away, while I'm not thrilled about it I don't find it particularly demoralizing either. Some of our staff regularly work nine hour days without a meal period, it's just a part of their (well compensated) job.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:50 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You're sure one to talk about eroding morale, Emigrations, after the way you treat your coworkers that don't conform to your little clique.
Morale is so low half the team is now gone, along with several others in this office.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:08 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I am 50 years old. I text often during the day, check my email during the day as well. Almost all of it is work related. My personal and work email is connected to my phone. I am on the phone often, almost all work related. The only personal calls I take are from my wife, who also happens to work at the same place that I work at. When I am on the job my time belongs to my employer. Personal stuff needs to be done during your own time. Texting friends and family needs to be done on personal time. My wife knows if she sends me a text that she may not get an answer until my lunch time. she understands how a hospital works.

I normally get to work 20 to 30 minutes early. I like to check emails and respond to them before my day starts. I like to make sure I am ready to roll for the day. Many times after work I am still working. This is my primary source of income and I want to protect it. If everyone did that chances are they would never have to worry about if they were going to get fired.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Work isn't fair, school isn't fair, life isn't fair. No one said it was but some people think it has to be and on their terms only. The thing to do is work around what you have or go where you can do better. The hard fact is, making comparisons to what other people or places have isn't going to get you what they have where or where you are.

I hope the OP finds what he is looking for in both the workplace and in his new city. But that will never happen if he isn't willing to play well with those around him.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
This one is up there. But nothing beats Springs1 (I believe that's her screen name) and her inane rants on the food service industry. That was EPIC
My favorite was in the Realty forum about a landlord trying to evict a psycho tenant. I looked for it earlier but no luck. If possible I'll add link . Must of gone over 40 pages. Best thread yet

The recent thread about "Bill" and his self realization web site was good too.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:41 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
My favorite was in the Realty forum about a landlord trying to evict a psycho tenant. I looked for it earlier but no luck. If possible I'll add link . Must of gone over 40 pages. Best thread yet
Search for swaggy if you want to find that real estate thread. Swaggy was the landlord.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:05 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Then there's the guy from Philadelphia who was stressing over not having an all white outfit for a birthday party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment