Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 02:39 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,026,103 times

Advertisements

I resigned from my previous position in management because the upper management (namely one manager in particular) was a passive aggressive narcissist who got her daily kicks by abusing the general staff. Because I was also in management, in charge of directing general staff but also under her, I had to act as one of her minions, which made me a passive aggressive narcissist by proxy.

I have successfully dealt with bosses that were jackasses before by simply tolerating them, keeping good records and a log of their misbehavior (just in case), and doing my best to keep a professional distance (smile and nod boys, smile and nod); but I had never been in a position where my job hinged on successfully fulfilling the jackasses dirty work for them. Because the passive aggressive narcissist manager (b***h) was also non-confrontational - she would tell the managers directly beneath her (me and three others) to do her bidding. She would write us up if we did not do as she said. It sucked.

I tolerated it for 6 months hoping things would improve (or she would die). It didn't (and she didn't). I was beginning to have physical symptoms of stress due to the dirty work I was being directed to do in order to keep my job. So I resigned. I'm a full-time student now. My goal is to be self-employed in the near future.

As an aside: the three other managers also moved on. One walked out on her, didn't even formally resign. He just got fed up and walked out. The other two relocated to different positions within the company. It's kind of funny because now she is having to train 3 new managers all at once and still has one vacancy that she has been having trouble filling, which means more work for her. I cannot help feeling that it serves her right. If she had been kind or even simply professional, we might all still be there. Her general staff is in constant turn-over as well, because of how she chooses to manage things. It's horrible. But not my problem anymore!

Thanks for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 02:59 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,923,529 times
Mind numbing boredom + listening to customer complaints 8 hours a day + being physically chained to a tiny cubicle for hours on end via a headset in a huge warehouse disguised as an office building sent me running for the hills after just three months. The fact that I started packing on the pounds due to physical inactivity was an added career bonus This was a call center job.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:31 PM

16,024 posts, read 21,053,128 times
Got a mgr so new the ink on his degree was still wet, no experience and no people skills. We went head to head almost immediately until the day he threatened to fire me. I quit on him but dumdum told me to stay through the end of the day. I left him a little something he should have easily noticed and been able to fix if he had half a clue as to what he was doing, but nope, he apparently didn't, as I heard he got fired for it shortly after.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:37 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,234,612 times
I quit my job because my wife found a job and relocated to another state. The factors that made her look for a job out of state are:

-her career path was not making her happy
-I was intensely unhappy with my work (I was expected to be working 24hrs straight. regular 8-5 job then conference calls with other countries at 10pm, urgent production down on-call events at 11pm, 3am, 4am followed immedietly with 9am project meetings)
-cost of living was getting prohibitive
-terrible school district with corrupt school board and town officials.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:51 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,689,584 times
While I have quit at least 18 jobs over 56 years, I'm not sure any of my reasons for quitting would validate your rationale.

My grounds for quitting ranged from the ordinary to the sublime. On my first day at one job I was working in my cubicle when I felt hungry. Looked at the clock and it was after 2:00 PM. I asked the manager when lunchtime was and he said, "You missed it." He may have missed me when I failed to show up there the next day. When I called him to officially quit he said, "I kind of figured that." He was a very good "figurer" - just a little slow getting there.

Another time I left to search for a missing friend in Mexico. I was a new hire, so vacation time was out of the question. One last example - I had been selling insurance for a year when my manager stepped up to the podium and declared we (32 salesmen) needed to sell more or leave for something else. "Heck, my milkman makes $135 a week," he railed. At the time I was making just $125 per week commission so I quit and became a milkman.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:54 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,758,726 times
Not enough room for advancement, tired of same work and same people everyday, knew I was never going to go anywhere if I stayed there as I shot myself in the foot and pissed off my boss when I didn't know what I was doing. She would never have promoted me and I didn't want to stay in the industry anyway. Work environment was getting toxic. I've seen people work there for 30-40 years and they are not happy people. I figured I'd get out while I still could.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:05 PM

50 posts, read 187,329 times
So many reasons. New hires paid more than me, but I'd end up training them. Overzealous new manager-- real social climber. Too much stress. Nepotism. Coworkers were uncommitted. Unfair metrics. Part time employee with full time responsibilities. Haven't looked back since.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:53 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,834,888 times
Because I hated it.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:13 PM

4,187 posts, read 4,427,843 times
Here you go... I had two jobs which I quit the explanations follow
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post28573755

Old 09-15-2015, 08:57 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,560,634 times
Many reasons in 45 years of working. Some were better opportunity or pay. Some were horrible managers or just a highly stressful and toxic workplace due to co-workers or the nature of the work itself.
Last two were different. One I was a contract floral delivery driver, which I loved doing, but the orders fell so far off after Mother's Day that I could not afford to put gas in my van. I was more or less ''paying to work'' as a friend put it.
I really miss that job and the whole scene. Paid great too when we were busy during the holidays.
Last one I just quit today after two weeks in a retail setting where they failed to tell me that I would be hefting 50+ boxes of merchandise multiple times throughout the shift, among other physically strenuous movements that I can in no way do at my age and stature. I was hard-pressed to do it, but there were no accomodations and noobs were also put to run the floor and close with no training on top of all that. I liked my co-workers though. Nice people but it also paid squat, crazy hours, etc.,so no great loss there. There are 2 more looking to leave so they will be down by 6 instead of 3 very shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment