Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:24 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
The manager was a big fat narcissistic idiot and always believed that douche and actually wrote me up for that last one.
I laughed out loud at that sentence. One can only hope that the idiot and the douche were happy together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 02:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaPig View Post
I didn't feel appreciated or valued for my contributions even though I was running ragged at the expense of my personal life and health.
This pretty much sums it up for me as well.

The ones I left by choice:
1. not enough pay, not valued, no really space for growth/advancement left
2. more money, good opportunity to work with great clients and the company culture changed after an acquisition
3. what has me on the fence at the moment? Poor interdepartmental communication, poor leadership in my department, department head not taking concrete action on teaming with teams grievances, not enough strategic direction, flaky manager, not enough professional development to get promoted to my goal title

Old 10-09-2015, 02:24 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
After 30 years I was going to retire and draw my pension!

Old 10-09-2015, 02:34 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
1. People more incompetent than me with no education running the place and running away with all the money come bonus time despite giving very limited contribution or carrying their weight
2. Talents being taken advantage of and the clueless putzes in power taking all the credit for my work.
3. Goofballs in power who couldn't even tie their own shoes are given power to do whatever they want. (If these idiots can't even do things correctly on a micro level, why would you want them running things on larger scale macro level?)
5. Watching idiots get promoted because of nepotism or being friends with someone in power while people more driven, dedicated, intelligent, knowledgable are glossed over.

There is no reason to work in a place like that. Absolutely NOT worth the money, headaches or stress. Sadly, 99.999 percent of workplaces these days are ran like that.

Last edited by DorianRo; 10-09-2015 at 03:35 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 03:25 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I've quit over the years mainly because of:
low morale--depressing work environments where blame is rampant, but praise is nearly non-existent,
places where it's all about favoritism, but not about the work you do,
places w/ managers who have very little education, but are allowed to be managers, enough said,
places where your work isn't compensated enough.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:37 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I've quit over the years mainly because of:
low morale--depressing work environments where blame is rampant, but praise is nearly non-existent,
places where it's all about favoritism, but not about the work you do,
places w/ managers who have very little education, but are allowed to be managers, enough said,
places where your work isn't compensated enough.

That is a big reason to take off. Idiot Managers with only high school diplomas who can't even manage a microsoft program or follow directions to set a program up are given big bonuses and decision making power yet can't even operate simple computer programs. Gimme a break. :roll eyes:

I can't tell you how many times I was called into their office to fix a simple program because they couldn't follow simple directions or operate a *** computer!!!

There is nothing more frustrating in the workplace than having to bail out clueless, incompetent leadership while they are running away with all the loot.

They do so much damage to the workplace causing low morale etc.. yet get to stay in their comfy positions year after year after year..

Its also worth noting that individuals with less education are less professional in the workplace as well yet are thrown into positions where professionalism should be required.

Last edited by DorianRo; 10-09-2015 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 08:09 PM

206 posts, read 238,631 times
Sexual harassment with $6 million government server. Coworker was trying to get dates...I lasted a long time at 3 years, others got ruined at 4 months and 9 months. Just so you know what can go on...I just walked out as office nut was boss' pet. Now I know I have to assertively chase solutions to these problems as I just get screwed too frequently any longer. No you cannot give anyone benefit of doubt or expect professional decorum or respect. Some are just predators or just nuts...Law straightens out these situations.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:02 AM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 28 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,507 times
I spent 10 years of my life at a company with mostly good supervisors, but at the end had a very bad one, Eddie J, and considering that my Mother had developed health issues which would take her life 8 months after I left this job, it was a good thing that I quit to be her caregiver.

I might have been able to get a leave of absence, but if or when Eddie learned of her death, being the blabbermouth and control freak he was, would probably blab the news to co-workers, some of whom I may not even want at the funeral, including Eddie himself, and he would likely also get to decide for me when I would return to work.

Sometimes, a person needs their dignity, more than they need to answer to someone who is in authority, but unfit for their position.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:14 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,858 times
I took a buyout from the employer I worked for for 25 years. In the end, it was the usual feeling of being held back from growth, feeling taken for granted, having no opportunity to advance, and (most painfully) projects I had succeeded on and cared about a lot, were being allowed to die on the vine (they should have been upgraded and modernized, but were never a priority for the executives). People who knew and respected my work had moved on, and I had been promised opportunities for career development that in the end turned out to be bait-and-switch. I had been planning (somehow) to leave anyway, but being eligible for the buyout came as a surprise - fortunately one that I was financially ready to take (since buyout deals in themselves, generally aren't very lucrative).

Even knowing how bad the job market is (especially in my region), in the end the deciding factors were this: Could I mount an effective career change program from within this job situation? No, things were already getting exponentially bad just in the past year; I was afraid I would rage-quit. Could I wait any longer and do this when I was closer to minimum retirement age? No, it would be incredibly harder.

Did I have another job lined up? No, the buyout happened so quickly and the terms were so rushed (you had to decide within a month, and you had to provide a firm exit date), that I had to make some tough decisions about when to leave. People seemed sad that I was leaving, but how people think about you when you are poised to leave, is not necessarily an indicator of how you would have been treated if you had stayed. :-(

Old 10-19-2015, 11:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I am leaving my current job for a number of reasons, but the easy way to sum it up:

1. No career path. He was going to pigeonhole me into a limited role based on what he thought my job should be, not what my career goals and expectations were. I wouldn't be utilizing my skills and strengths adhering to his vision.
2. Under-appreciated. I was handling some pretty core duties for the company and took on extra duties not in my job description because it needed to get done for the company's success. Wasn't recognized for these contributions.
3. Too much babysitting of my boss. My original boss left the company so I reported to a more "senior" person. Unfortunately he is a terrible people manager, not strategic and did not actually lead the department. I had to schedule meetings every 2 weeks to talk about department wide issues he needed to solve and manage and give him action items on how to solve them. I also had to hunt him down to come to meetings, he was constantly late and missed meetings. Additionally, I had to schedule my own team meetings and weekly check-ins with him even though those were his responsibilities. Not like I was compensated to manage the department (or did I have the title.)

So it was time to go. I liked my work environment and colleagues, but it wasn't going to get me to the next stage of my career by staying. No mentors, and I wasn't going to get promoted with him as my boss, even if I handled and demonstrated I could handle the roles/responsibilities of the next level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment