Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:24 PM

3 posts, read 23,575 times

Advertisements

Hi
A colleague has logged onto my work emails and printed off one email which did not name her specificly and has used this as evidence in a greivance against me.
Can this be used against me if she actually printed it off on my day off?
Can this be used against me as she looged onto my account without my permission?
She has stated in the greivance that the following day when she logged onto the computer at my desk it was there in front of her.
I know I logged off the day before as we have to because it shows im logged on/off in the main office when the business closes and whoever is on duty has to go and close any open computers.
Every night the computer shuts down and and to be restarted evey morning
How do I get evidence re this and can i do anything as i am sure its illegal to look at let alone log onto another collegues account.

Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 11:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Without knowing your company's policies, it's hard to tell whether what your coworker did was illegal. If your coworker was not granted permission to the email by your employer (even if by proxy of yourself), then what she did is likely illegal. However, you should not worry about that part. You are not the one who was violated by such intrusion. Your employer is the one who was violated by such intrusion and it is up to your employer to determine how to handle it.

You may or may not want to inform your employer that your coworker gained unauthorized access to your email. But that's all you can do from that perspective.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:49 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,930,697 times
If on a company server, which it has to be if it is company email, this is not the OP's email and the OP has no defense.

Where I work 5 people have full access to my company email and together they help me stay on top of everything.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:47 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Work email belongs to the company. You would need someone from IT who could say that you logged off and that someone else logged in. In any case, if it is a workplace rule violation, that is a separate matter involving the other employee. HR is not bound by criminal rules of evidence; don't expect them to ignore the email.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:58 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,134 times
The company may or may not have rules that the other employee violated and may or may not take action in response to those rules, but it is completely irrelevant with regard to their prosecution of the grievance against the OP. If one needs to hurt someone else in reaction to getting in trouble one's self, then I suppose there may be some reason to pursue that aspect of this, but without knowing what the grievance itself, I can only guess that it wouldn't be worth it. Generally folks don't break company rules, like reading someone else's email (assuming there is such a rule) with intent to find evidence of something, unless that something for which the email serves as evidence is a much more serious offense.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:48 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designerk&b View Post
Hi
A colleague has logged onto my work emails and printed off one email which did not name her specificly and has used this as evidence in a greivance against me.
Can this be used against me as she looged onto my account without my permission?
She has stated in the greivance that the following day when she logged onto the computer at my desk it was there in front of her.
I know I logged off the day before as we have to because it shows im logged on/off in the main office when the business closes and whoever is on duty has to go and close any open computers.
How do I get evidence re this and can i do anything as i am sure its illegal to look at let alone log onto another collegues account.

Please help
SO the person used your password and logged in as you in order to get access to the e-mail? How did they get your password? That would have been a violation of company rules at any company where I have worked or maintained servers (for 20+ years). Every company I have been with has had rules that you do not log in as someone else without their permission (and even that is discouraged, if you need access on a regular basis there are better ways). There have also been rules about password security. So if you have an easily guessed password, have not changed your password regularly, or done something else that compromises your password (written it on a sticky under your keyboard) you may have contributed to the problem.

I hope you have changed your password

Old 09-16-2015, 06:02 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,770 times
At my place of employment, all emails and activity go thru the server and becomes the property of the company.....I guess anybody can ask to see any email, or activity and if the company wants, can provide. We had a worker ask for all emails that mentioned his name from the HR Department, at the time, I was Union President, and he made the same request of me, and being all my emails are from my home, to other members home, I told him "No, it's my private home computer, and you have no right to see them, I do not follow the employers policy when it comes to my home computer". I would recommend anyone using company computers. do not do anything you would not want the world to see on the company computers

Old 09-16-2015, 06:26 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
SO the person used your password and logged in as you in order to get access to the e-mail? How did they get your password? That would have been a violation of company rules at any company where I have worked or maintained servers (for 20+ years).
Yes. If you used another person's account here, you'd be very lucky if you avoided being fired.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:48 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
SO the person used your password and logged in as you in order to get access to the e-mail? How did they get your password? That would have been a violation of company rules at any company where I have worked or maintained servers (for 20+ years). Every company I have been with has had rules that you do not log in as someone else without their permission (and even that is discouraged, if you need access on a regular basis there are better ways). There have also been rules about password security. So if you have an easily guessed password, have not changed your password regularly, or done something else that compromises your password (written it on a sticky under your keyboard) you may have contributed to the problem.

I hope you have changed your password
Agreed. How did they get your password?

Old 09-16-2015, 07:44 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designerk&b View Post
Hi

Please help
First - not a lawyer. Just happen to work in information security - so this is something I deal with fairly often.

As others have indicated, you have essentially no "right" to privacy when it comes to work email. It belongs to the organization, not you. So the issue here is whether or not the individual who you are accusing has actually violated a company policy (and if one actually exists). It's very likely this has no "legal" precedence as no actual laws have been broken (of course, there may be certain state laws that say differently).

You would need to consult your HR manual to determine your policies regarding the unauthorized use of accounts. Assuming that was the case.

Tracking who did what is likely not too hard if your IT dept is logging and storing all of that information. In some cases, people do not log "successful" authentication attempts as it takes up too much storage. But if you work in certain industries (Financial, Government, etc), they should pretty much log everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment