Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 07:46 PM

9,847 posts, read 13,681,126 times

Advertisements

I had recently applied for two very similar positions, both which required the sameweek long training at the same time. Job 1 I interviewed for about 4 weeks ago, via phone, and Job 2 came along about 2 weeks ago. I was able to visit with Job 2 in person and was offered the job the day after the interview. While this was going on I received word that references were being sent out by Job 1. At this point I sent them an e-mail letting them know that I was not going to be able to continue on with them. I was under the impression that this would be a big training at a neutral site. I may run into the people from the agency but wasn't stressed if it was at neutral site. But, now this training is going to be at Job 1's office for a week. Should I feel weird about doing my training there? Is there any way for me to avoid that feeling of "I'm sorry I declined your job but here I am getting the same training for another job (That paid 3k more)"? Or am I overreacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 08:01 PM

55 posts, read 59,741 times
No don't feel weird. They should be aware of the situation from their HR people. Just be nice. Not your fault if you declined their job but got the other one because the pay and whatever else was more appealing. Is it the same line of work or different department at least?

Old 09-16-2015, 08:03 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,185,304 times
I understand how you would feel weird if you run into anyone you talked to at Job 1. Since it sounds like you only interviewed by phone and didn't meet anyone, they would only recognize you by name. Don't bring up your interest in Job 1 unless someone else does. It's unlikely, unless one of the people who saw your resume or spoke to you sees your name. If it does come up just tell them you were talking to multiple companies (true) and Job 2 was a better fit (true- they offered you $3K more).

Old 09-16-2015, 08:10 PM

9,847 posts, read 13,681,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFJenn View Post
No don't feel weird. They should be aware of the situation from their HR people. Just be nice. Not your fault if you declined their job but got the other one because the pay and whatever else was more appealing. Is it the same line of work or different department at least?
It's basically the same position, parent educator. Job 2 adds a bit more of case management and crisis intervention to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
It's unlikely, unless one of the people who saw your resume or spoke to you sees your name. If it does come up just tell them you were talking to multiple companies (true) and Job 2 was a better fit (true- they offered you $3K more).
Thanks! I think that sounds like a good way to handle it.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:37 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,503,005 times
I agree that it probably won't even register with them, even if you run into people you spoke with. Even if they do remember you or somehow figure out who you are, I'm sure it's not he first time something like this has happened. Enjoy your training and your new job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment