Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 08:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

The backbone is not found in the whiners or rioters who loot and burn
The backbone is in those who play well the cards they have been dealt and rise above it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 08:35 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Gosh, you people are annoying.

To those who are pissing and moaning about the private sector, when was the last time you actually did something above and beyond what you are expected? You know, do something to set yourself apart from the cookie cutter candidate?

I've had people ask me how I've gotten promoted so quickly in my career. They always seem to think I work really really hard. They couldn't be more mistaken. Sure, I work hard, but so does most other people. I don't work any harder than other people. I tend to think outside the box. I do things the smart way rather than the long way. If I see a task or assignment that is mechanical, instead of spending 80 hours a week to try to do the assignment, I write a computer program to do it for me. I've written several programs that are now being used internally by my company. In my previous company and my current company, I'm known as the problem solver.

So, instead of keep crying about how unfair life is for you, may I suggest you start thinking outside the box just a little bit to make yourself more competitive? Or continue to whine. Your choice.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:00 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,775 times
As a licensed massage therapist, I have yet to work in a chain salon/spa because guess who earns more money: the masseuses, or the higher-ups who do no massages whatsoever?

That's right. The higher-ups pocket the majority of client fees, even though the masseuses are doing the real work. Client pays 70. Masseuse receives 30.

I have a problem with that.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:32 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
As a licensed massage therapist, I have yet to work in a chain salon/spa because guess who earns more money: the masseuses, or the higher-ups who do no massages whatsoever?

That's right. The higher-ups pocket the majority of client fees, even though the masseuses are doing the real work. Client pays 70. Masseuse receives 30.

Do you have a problem with the building they pay for so you can work? The liability of running a business? Getting the actual clients for you to do said work? Etc.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:39 PM

220 posts, read 418,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post

This is a great example of someone who has no clue about how to start up or run a business with employees.

So let's take a person who wants to start up a massage place. Once they find a place to rent they find out that even though they formed an LLC (corporation) the landlord wants a personal guarantee and a security deposit of at least one months rent (usually 2-3 months worth of rent). Then they need to build out the leased facility that has such a variety of cost ranges but lets say it is a 3000 sqft place with several massage rooms, nice bathrooms, nice front desk area, all the computers/chairs, massage tables, etc. Permits/dry wall/electrical/drop down ceilings = you are talking $ 60-100k before you open the doors, and that money is coming out of YOUR pocket most likely.

Next you find out that the hardest aspect of running a business is the cost of advertising and hiring and retaining employees. Oh and guess what 50-80% of businesses fail within the first five years (depending on how you add closed business statistics but regardless those percentages suck on either side of the range):

Forbes Welcome
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140...survival-rates

So if someone makes it through all of the above and is actually successful, they are know vilified as greedy and rich.

So lets say you worked for someone else for 10-15 years and was able to save up lets say $ 100k-200k in lifetime savings and had a choice to maybe start up a business or stay working for an employer that did the above and has taken all of those risks. How much would you want as a pay off to give it a try? If your odds are less then 20% and you invest your entire nest egg and sign personal guarantees? How much? I would not even think about doing that unless I could strike it rich on the back end and make at least a million dollars (most likely would need more). Otherwise why do it? Starting a business is so hard, and managing employees is the hardest aspect of owning a business once you get past all of the above and are trying to run the business on a day to day basis.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:12 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceMarx View Post
Would you like a cookie or a pat on the back?
No, but I would very much like people to stop whining if they won't even try to help themselves.

Would it surprise you to know that what I do isn't all that unusual? There are plenty of people out there who take the extra steps to make themselves more marketable than the average candidates. I for one am sick of only seeing posts by those who do the absolute minimum they are allowed to get away with and whine about why life sucks for them on internet forums.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:23 PM

739 posts, read 843,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroword View Post
gosh, you people are annoying.

To those who are pissing and moaning about the private sector, when was the last time you actually did something above and beyond what you are expected? You know, do something to set yourself apart from the cookie cutter candidate?

I've had people ask me how i've gotten promoted so quickly in my career. They always seem to think i work really really hard. They couldn't be more mistaken. Sure, i work hard, but so does most other people. I don't work any harder than other people. I tend to think outside the box. I do things the smart way rather than the long way. If i see a task or assignment that is mechanical, instead of spending 80 hours a week to try to do the assignment, i write a computer program to do it for me. I've written several programs that are now being used internally by my company. In my previous company and my current company, i'm known as the problem solver.

So, instead of keep crying about how unfair life is for you, may i suggest you start thinking outside the box just a little bit to make yourself more competitive? Or continue to whine. Your choice.
lol

Old 09-21-2015, 04:34 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Do you think people realize that the private sector (Mainly corporations) are chalked full of corrupt jerks engaged in cronyism and nepotism while ripping off the "lower levels" to make themselves richer ?? Its amazing to see how many people are willing to be completely taken advantage of and be used and abused while the upper level runs away with all the money on your blood, sweat and tears.

These days it seems alot of the lower level people are just willing to sit there and be completely ABUSED by the system and the upper level cronies..

Its such a shame how some just sit there while the rich keep getting richer (As the FACTS show) and the poor keep getting poorer while they put money in the "well offs" pockets"

Why were there so many revolutions and challenges to the "Establishment" in the past and today people are willing to just bend over? Where is the backbone of people today?
Sounds like you're going to have a sad existence with that outlook on work. Too bad for you someone filled your young brain with such leftist garbage.
You seem to think the system owes you whatever you need. A-hole bosses and crappy jobs are fact of life.
Cliches aren't a foundation for a successful career or a path to wealth.
Don't let yourself be 50-years old, bitter about your achievements and with no appreciable savings.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Do you think people realize that the private sector (Mainly corporations) are chalked full of corrupt jerks engaged in cronyism and nepotism while ripping off the "lower levels" to make themselves richer ?? Its amazing to see how many people are willing to be completely taken advantage of and be used and abused while the upper level runs away with all the money on your blood, sweat and tears.

These days it seems alot of the lower level people are just willing to sit there and be completely ABUSED by the system and the upper level cronies..

Its such a shame how some just sit there while the rich keep getting richer (As the FACTS show) and the poor keep getting poorer while they put money in the "well offs" pockets"

Why were there so many revolutions and challenges to the "Establishment" in the past and today people are willing to just bend over? Where is the backbone of people today?
Fifty years of television has dumbed down our citizens. There is a huge difference between intelligence and WISDOM. Think about that.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:19 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Sounds like you're going to have a sad existence with that outlook on work. Too bad for you someone filled your young brain with such leftist garbage.
You seem to think the system owes you whatever you need. A-hole bosses and crappy jobs are fact of life.
Cliches aren't a foundation for a successful career or a path to wealth.
Don't let yourself be 50-years old, bitter about your achievements and with no appreciable savings.
"Nobody owes you anything" is a two-way street gramps. You might remember that as your social security collecting years loom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment