Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 01:24 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
P.S. Before anyone says it, yes I know I can teach and I did for a bit, however, I have no family to help me out and I have to do it all on my own, therefore I need options and it seems that all people ever tell me is to go teach..and if that doesnt work out? Then what?
My friend who has a BA in History with zero teaching experience joined the Peace Corps last year. She's having a great adventure and is very happy! She's in Mongolia. Since she joined the Peace Corps now gives you the option of choosing where you want to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 06:48 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
OP, I am way older than you and many years ago ''followed my passion'' and got an undergraduate degree in English and History. I taught high school for 5 years, then got a commission in the Navy as an officer, by virtue of having that BA degree. Spent 5 years in the service and came out and got a graduate degree in a professional area where I spent 25 years.
I learned along the way that many, many people are doing jobs or having careers in areas that have nothing to do with their educational backgrounds.
You can break into many fields without a specific degree. What you DO have should get you in many doors in areas like local or federal government jobs, public service/non-profit work, corporate management/administration, and maybe even something like government service with the FBI, CIA, Secret Service, etc.
Start researching their websites and see what kind of candidates these places are looking for.
Also consider working in insurance, sales, or real estate where you can get licensed, etc.
There is a severe need for Spanish translators where I live, so maybe you could consider a job like that.
There are lots of options out there, just start researching.
I wish I'd realized a lot of this when I was younger. It's too late for me, but the ''world is your oyster'' if you just get bold and educated as to your options.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:20 PM

404 posts, read 366,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Why not look into local government work?
Been there, done that..might try it again or I might look into staying at where I am..still not sure yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Ok, never mind what you want to study; instead what do you want to do? Seems like the thing you are most prepared for -- teaching history is not what you want to do. As for your question of "if teaching doesn't work out, then what?" that's the same regardless of what you do, so don't let that hold you back.
What do I want to do...I want to be able to teach, or if I can't do that, get a office job with a desk that is NOT a call center. For most, this would either be a degree in Business or Communications. The problem with that is that I am not good at math for business and with the communications degree, I will have to pay out of pocket which will come out to about 10k, not bad, but still its' 10k. I don't have the luxury of doing that kind of thinking as I HAVE to have a plan B. I have no one to help me or support me if this goes south, no family and no friends since I just moved, so every move I make job wise is like a chess match. I have to think 3 steps ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I graduated with a BA in history 15 years ago. I have good and bad news for you. The good news - no, your degree is not "worthless" and your career is not doomed if you do not want it to be. The bad news (or good news, depending on how you see it) is that you will have to get creative and go down a career path that does not relate directly to your degree. Getting a liberal arts degree means there is no set career path like there is for other majors such as accounting or engineering. I started out in a lowly customer service role, and over the years discovered what I liked and (more importantly) did not like to do. It led me down a long path to where I am now a well paid market research consultant.

It sounds like what you need right now is experience, and your first job is likely going to be repetitive and boring. That's just the way it goes. I would get into something like that call center job just to get a few years of experience on your resume. Once employers see you have a track record of being a good employee that can communicate and relate to others, it will open up new paths for you. You'll need to get creative in your jobs and look for ways to innovate so you can stand out.

Good luck. You've got your entire career ahead of you.
Wow, thanks man. Its good to see someone doing well. I think that is the problem, is that I applied to well over a 100 jobs, got 3 interviews and no one hired me. It was kind of a downer to be honest.

Funny about your job description is that that is exactly how my job is now. I am thinking about staying there,but I don't know if I want to do that or keep trying to get into government work.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:26 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Does local govt have the same past military requirements that fed govt jobs have? I would love to get a govt job some day but I dont have active duty discharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Why not look into local government work?

Old 09-22-2015, 06:36 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,655 times
Quote:
Been there, done that..might try it again or I might look into staying at where I am..still not sure yet.

What do I want to do...I want to be able to teach, or if I can't do that, get a office job with a desk that is NOT a call center. For most, this would either be a degree in Business or Communications. The problem with that is that I am not good at math for business and with the communications degree, I will have to pay out of pocket which will come out to about 10k, not bad, but still its' 10k. I don't have the luxury of doing that kind of thinking as I HAVE to have a plan B. I have no one to help me or support me if this goes south, no family and no friends since I just moved, so every move I make job wise is like a chess match. I have to think 3 steps ahead.

Wow, thanks man. Its good to see someone doing well. I think that is the problem, is that I applied to well over a 100 jobs, got 3 interviews and no one hired me. It was kind of a downer to be honest.

Funny about your job description is that that is exactly how my job is now. I am thinking about staying there,but I don't know if I want to do that or keep trying to get into government work.
Stick with the call center work while you figure it out. I worked basically the same job for about 2 years until I moved up to an administrative position. I know it's probably repetitive and boring, but getting that experience on your resume is really crucial. Plus it pays the bills for now. If you are interested in the government work find people who do those types of jobs and talk to them. Do an informational interview and find out what they did to get to where they are. Find out if there are professional organizations you can join and network, network, network. There could be volunteer or freelance opportunities that would give you some experience. Blindly applying for jobs is like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm not saying to stop doing it, but it's a tough strategy so don't get discouraged if you don't hear back.

I've been there. Hang in there.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
OP, I am way older than you and many years ago ''followed my passion'' and got an undergraduate degree in English and History. I taught high school for 5 years, then got a commission in the Navy as an officer, by virtue of having that BA degree. Spent 5 years in the service and came out and got a graduate degree in a professional area where I spent 25 years.
I learned along the way that many, many people are doing jobs or having careers in areas that have nothing to do with their educational backgrounds.
You can break into many fields without a specific degree. What you DO have should get you in many doors in areas like local or federal government jobs, public service/non-profit work, corporate management/administration, and maybe even something like government service with the FBI, CIA, Secret Service, etc.
Start researching their websites and see what kind of candidates these places are looking for.
Also consider working in insurance, sales, or real estate where you can get licensed, etc.
There is a severe need for Spanish translators where I live, so maybe you could consider a job like that.
There are lots of options out there, just start researching.
I wish I'd realized a lot of this when I was younger. It's too late for me, but the ''world is your oyster'' if you just get bold and educated as to your options.
Hey thanks for the response. You are right, what I do have SHOULD allow me to work in those areas, but when I tried to get into non profit for some odd reason a lot of women work at them and it makes it very hard to get hired. I do work at a financial services company now but I am not sure if they would consider me for corporate management since I don't have a MBA.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:28 PM

633 posts, read 640,372 times
Quote:
I am a first generation college student. No one in my family had even gone to college. So when I got there, I thought that I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to do at first. I majored in Business Administration and I was pretty happy with that, until I got to the higher level classes and ones like Finance and Statistics kicked my butt to the point that I had to change my major. I really tried but I just suck at math, so I jumped back in forth between Spanish(a passion of mine) and History(interesting and I like to read). I ended up graduating with a BA in History because the language dept was so small that it would have taken me 6 more years to graduate and I just wasn't having it.

Anyways, that was back in 2007 and back then there wasn't this huge backlash against liberal arts like there is now. I deeply regret my degree and I am not confident in it at all. All I kept hearing from people with BA's in History was how they either ended up in retail or unemployed. I made my decision based on the fact that I was told that a lot of employers don't just look for specific degrees, and it seems that every time I click on a job that I like, they are either asking for Business, or Communications, or Economics. I feel like I didn't really study anything useful and it really bothers me.

The only things that I am really passionate about degree wise, are Political Science, Spanish, Economics(BA only) and Communications. I got a MPA(Masters in Public Administration) last year, thinking that that would help, and I still have not a found a job in the public sector, but I found one in the private sector at a call center that pays me 16.50 + benefits. When I talk to people that have degrees in Political Science, Spanish and Communications I wont lie, i get jealous. I may not tell them, but I feel like what they studied is way more applicable to the work force than what I did. Even a BA in Political Science and English is looked upon as more favorably it seems.

Be that as it may, I still hear how degrees in those areas are also "useless" in the workforce, but when I go online, I hear(read) way more success stories with people with those degrees than ones in History. I moved away this year to be in a bigger city and my old college offers a BS in Corporate Communications online which I have thought about doing or I could do a MA in either Spanish or Political Science as well in the city that I am currently in now, but again, I don't know if those degrees will really lead to a "good job" per se. Can someone help me work this out? Or if you have heard of History majors being successful, then please let me know.

P.S. Before anyone says it, yes I know I can teach and I did for a bit, however, I have no family to help me out and I have to do it all on my own, therefore I need options and it seems that all people ever tell me is to go teach..and if that doesnt work out? Then what?
Oh man. Where to begin with this one.

First, some general advice. very few people go to college at 18, major in their 'passion', then jump from that degree immediately into a 30 year career that they love to death and never leave. It happens, sure- but it's rather rare. Most people end up switching careers and industries as circumstances, interests, and the economy changes. You will find the longer you work, the less it matters what your degree is, and the more emphasis is placed on experience and what you've actually been doing (obvious exceptions like law and medical aside).

If you are passionate in Spanish or Political Science there is nothing stopping you from pursuing those interests outside of your 9-5. You may even find that route more fulfilling, since being forced to work within the field as opposed to engaging in it at your own pace and interest level can end up burning you out. Want to learn Spanish? then learn spanish. Check out Duolingo, or work with a local tutor one on one. Want to get involved in Political Science? Volunteer for a campaign. Start local then work your way up from there.

Second- your degree situation. You have a BA in History and a Masters in Public Administration. Another BA will not help you, and all you'll do is rack up debt here. You are in very real danger here of ending up with too many degrees and not enough practical experience which is a terrible situation to be in. You need to figure out how you can get where you want to go with the degrees you have. The posters who are suggesting state and local government are on the right track, since that is what your MPA is tailored to. You can do nearly anything in state and local that you can within the private sector- you just need to look. Enough experience there will allow you to make the jump to private sector later, should you decide that's really what you want to do.

Finally- a "good job" is different things to different people, and you haven't really quantified it. Are you looking simply for a high paycheck? are you looking for autonomy and personal growth? Leadership potential? Do you want to position yourself to potentially run for office? No matter what degree you have, it can be leveraged into something lucrative and fulfilling, but you need to determine what that actually is on your own, and then put 110% of your effort into chasing that goal.

Edit: Disclaimer- Burger Fan is an HR Manager working in state government. Burger Fan's Degree has absolutely nothing to do with his career path and never has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Does local govt have the same past military requirements that fed govt jobs have? I would love to get a govt job some day but I dont have active duty discharge.
Can't speak for everywhere (only my state) but I'm pretty comfortable saying "no" to this one. We give veterans a few extra points on their civil service exam, but by no means is past military experience a free ticket to a job here. Qualified non military personnel (like Burger Fan) have no problems obtaining employment and advancing through the system.

Last edited by Burger Fan; 09-23-2015 at 01:44 PM..

Old 09-23-2015, 02:05 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post

First, some general advice. very few people go to college at 18, major in their 'passion', then jump from that degree immediately into a 30 year career that they love to death and never leave. It happens, sure- but it's rather rare. Most people end up switching careers and industries as circumstances, interests, and the economy changes. You will find the longer you work, the less it matters what your degree is, and the more emphasis is placed on experience and what you've actually been doing (obvious exceptions like law and medical aside).

If you are passionate in Spanish or Political Science there is nothing stopping you from pursuing those interests outside of your 9-5. You may even find that route more fulfilling, since being forced to work within the field as opposed to engaging in it at your own pace and interest level can end up burning you out. Want to learn Spanish? then learn spanish. Check out Duolingo, or work with a local tutor one on one. Want to get involved in Political Science? Volunteer for a campaign. Start local then work your way up from there.

Second- your degree situation. You have a BA in History and a Masters in Public Administration. Another BA will not help you, and all you'll do is rack up debt here. You are in very real danger here of ending up with too many degrees and not enough practical experience which is a terrible situation to be in. You need to figure out how you can get where you want to go with the degrees you have. The posters who are suggesting state and local government are on the right track, since that is what your MPA is tailored to. You can do nearly anything in state and local that you can within the private sector- you just need to look. Enough experience there will allow you to make the jump to private sector later, should you decide that's really what you want to do.

Finally- a "good job" is different things to different people, and you haven't really quantified it. Are you looking simply for a high paycheck? are you looking for autonomy and personal growth? Leadership potential? Do you want to position yourself to potentially run for office? No matter what degree you have, it can be leveraged into something lucrative and fulfilling, but you need to determine what that actually is on your own, and then put 110% of your effort into chasing that goal.

Edit: Disclaimer- Burger Fan is an HR Manager working in state government. Burger Fan's Degree has absolutely nothing to do with his career path and never has.

Can't speak for everywhere (only my state) but I'm pretty comfortable saying "no" to this one. We give veterans a few extra points on their civil service exam, but by no means is past military experience a free ticket to a job here. Qualified non military personnel (like Burger Fan) have no problems obtaining employment and advancing through the system.
Boom. This x1000.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post

Hey thanks very much for your response. I wanted to wait until I had more time to reply.

Ill start with the first part...you are right that it matters less in what you do, however, since I just have a BA in History, a lot of my experience either comes from teaching(which I did temporarily) or retail and call centers. I do not really have any "business experience" per se, I worked at a non profit for a bit, but I have yet to find another job in that area as well. At this point, I really do regret my degree. Everyone that has a degree in History is either teaching or working low paying jobs. A few people that I know have had to go back to school to get another degree. I got my MPA, thinking that that would help and it has not yet either, but I will start applying again soon.

As for the Second part, I was told the other day that to get a job in government in my city(that has over a million) I would have to know someone. I don't know if that is just their experience, but I have tried multiple times and it seems that that may be the case. I do like the Neo gov website since you only need to fill in the information once, so I may try that again and see what happens. You are right about the degree situation, but at this point, I really just regret getting my History degree. i wish I would have gotten a degree in Spanish or Political Science as those degrees, while liberal arts, are still seen as having more utility and practicality vs. History. I was looking for a degree in Communications, but to be honest, I am burnt out with school and since I have applied at my school, they have been hounding me to take classes which is kind of a turn off and comes off as desperate, I got two or three calls from them this week. The degree will be more useful I think(BS in Corporate Communications) and I think that will be better than what I have, but I honestly will struggle since I do not have the money and each class is like 740 dollars. I would only need to take 12-13 though.

I know one girl that has a degree in something..either liberal arts or something else..she got her MBA online with Texas A&M Texarkana and now she is a budget analyst for the military...I should technically be able to get the same job with my MPA I think..I might look into that route and see how she did it.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:25 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,902 times
much of the advice you have been given so far is on point, so you must forgive me if I repeat.

At this time I would advise taking the call center job for 2 reasons:

1)You can still apply, make yourself more hirable for the more ideal job after the 9-5, M-F. Just because you "settle" for the call center job does not mean you give up on your dream career.

2) If you are unable to find the dream job (maybe to much competition, to few open positions etc...) you at least set yourself up for a better office job down the road. It is much easier to get out of the "grunt" work office role , when you have experience, references etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment