Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 03:07 PM

146 posts, read 213,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
That's a perfect way to be taken advantage of. The company doesn't care about you. Never believe that it does.

I don't support my company. I provide my services to them and get paid well in return. In no way do I feel "grateful" for my employment with them. If they don't want to pay my asking, I go somewhere else.

I never got the mentality of people who never grow beyond their potential simply because they are addicted to the feel-good peanuts their company throws them. I've SEEN these supposed FAMILY companies first hand. One it particular. Everyone was family for decades. I have to hand it to the owners though. Keeping up that secret for that long, funneling money oversees, screwing the pensions, and never looking back. All the retirees with the quiver lip "I thought we were family???" Even foxes smile...tough lesson.
This hits close to home, my grandfather actually went through this, they screwed a good 60% of his pension, closed up shops, thank God he was a savings-first type of man, or he wouldve retired and died penniless.

I cant help but roll my eyes at some of the " company man " types on here, that place will kick you out to the curb holding your starving child in a nano-second if it came down to it, nobody in the business world is your " friend. "

They pay you for YOUR service, thats it, I know it sounds harsh, but humanity has very few humans left in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,055 times
So a few days ago I had posted that I had some dolt try to be cute by insulting me infront the owner of the company because I apparently had the gall to ask this union-numskull to mop a floor to make his area presentable.

Now, since this was an ongoing issue, I applied two write ups for the incident, one for the actual act of sass-mouthing, and one for insubordination, his steward was none-to-pleased but I do not care, im not here to molly coddle the help, im here to make sure the product is pushed out that door so that we all get our check.
Well, apparently my write ups contributed to a write up this dunderhead had originally for missing work, if the union appeals which knowing how they act here in my shop they will, Il likely toss out one write up to placate them, but at least the boot is firmly in the butt cheek of this dimwit and he will be well on the way to the bread lines.

Thank you all for replying.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:22 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
If a manager tells you to lick the floor clean, I can understand objecting.

But mopping the floor? It's not hard, and a well-paid employee should be able to figure out how to do it efficiently and safely. If the needed equipment is stored away somewhere, then you make the appropriate inquiries in order to obtain that equipment.

Employers, managers and supervisors don't want to hear such criticism as, "Why would you pay me $50 an hour to do a job you could have done for $10 an hour." They just want the job done, now, and you are there to do it.

Union contracts might or might not alter all of that. But think of it this way: If you nitpick over contract requirements, are always in an adversarial relation with management, and are able to get paid more than the company can afford to pay you, then the goose that lays the golden egg might just die, and you'll be out of a job. With regard to this last point, I constantly heard my fellow employees in one company say that they should get more pay because the company "turned a big profit last year." They didn't seem to be aware of the fact that the company owed about 15 times that profit to creditors.

One unionized company I worked for went bankrupt. They couldn't turn a profit while meeting all the union demands, and the employees suffered terminations, layoffs, loss of accumulated pension money (not really a pension, more of a profit sharing deal, thus not protected from bankruptcy)...

I also found dealing with my fellow union employees unnecessarily unpleasant. Seniority, not hard work and competence, determined the pecking order, and newbies/part-timers had all the boring and unpleasant work dumped on them and were constantly criticized and bossed around by the more senior employees who were slacking off and playing little games like hiding when the call went out for overtime and then demanding a full day's pay because a part-timer did the overtime. The part-timers, of course, had to pay the same union dues as the full-timers but were treated like second-class citizens.

The supervisors and managers were in the worst position of all -- being pressured by union contract requirements and the company big wigs' demand that they meet specified performance requirements.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:36 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossmancometh View Post
So a few days ago I had posted that I had some dolt try to be cute by insulting me infront the owner of the company because I apparently had the gall to ask this union-numskull to mop a floor to make his area presentable.

Now, since this was an ongoing issue, I applied two write ups for the incident, one for the actual act of sass-mouthing, and one for insubordination, his steward was none-to-pleased but I do not care, im not here to molly coddle the help, im here to make sure the product is pushed out that door so that we all get our check.
Well, apparently my write ups contributed to a write up this dunderhead had originally for missing work, if the union appeals which knowing how they act here in my shop they will, Il likely toss out one write up to placate them, but at least the boot is firmly in the butt cheek of this dimwit and he will be well on the way to the bread lines.

Thank you all for replying.
I don't understand why there would be two write-ups. Wouldn't the sass-mouthing be the insubordination? I'm missing the difference.

But, if they are two distinct incidents, then I don't see any reason to placate the union and throw one out. I don't see any benefit to you for doing so. If your other workers think you're a jerk for writing this guy up at all, they won't feel better about you for throwing out one of them. So, no benefit there.

And the union isn't likely to ever placate you. So, if you're going to go for it, just go for it all the way, in my opinion. If you want to look like a strong force that must be reckoned with, going soft on one of the write-ups won't achieve that either.

If you would really like to get rid of this guy, you're going to need every legit write-up you can get. And even then it will practically take an act of congress when you're up against a union.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:12 AM

844 posts, read 2,020,149 times
You didn't read any of the replies did you - just wanted to ***** and brag about how you showed this guy what's what.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:34 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,337 times
I had an inspection job at a large company and sat at a bench using blue prints to inspect circuit boards for correct components. Had a normal light bulb blow out and with a twist of my wrist could have replaced it and been back to working within seconds. No that wasnt going to happen as had downtime due to them having to get a union electrician to replace the lightbulb. Go figure, and with that going on in a company with over ten thousand employees you can see what it could cost a company. My way of seeing things is unions are organized crime dressing like legitimate business while stiffing companys and the people they represent. Any wonder why companies left the country with their businesses. Unions priced many right out of their jobs.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:25 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
I had an inspection job at a large company and sat at a bench using blue prints to inspect circuit boards for correct components. Had a normal light bulb blow out and with a twist of my wrist could have replaced it and been back to working within seconds. No that wasnt going to happen as had downtime due to them having to get a union electrician to replace the lightbulb. Go figure, and with that going on in a company with over ten thousand employees you can see what it could cost a company. My way of seeing things is unions are organized crime dressing like legitimate business while stiffing companys and the people they represent. Any wonder why companies left the country with their businesses. Unions priced many right out of their jobs.

Actually it would be that simple and IS that simple except for the fact giving full access to supplies tends to limit those supplies to nothing. You know, employees' sticky fingers. Yes, in fact I DO know what 10,000 sticky fingers could cost a company

Kind of funny you working at a "large company" and only one light bulb supplying the only ambient light.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:29 AM

772 posts, read 913,920 times
Quote:
Actually it would be that simple and IS that simple except for the fact giving full access to supplies tends to limit those supplies to nothing. You know, employees' sticky fingers. Yes, in fact I DO know what 10,000 sticky fingers could cost a company

Kind of funny you working at a "large company" and only one light bulb supplying the only ambient light.

that's right ! I think he was the one playing " lazy union man" Oh look, one light bulb is burnt out, guess I can't work now !

were you working in a pitch black closet with no windows ?!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:15 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
That's a perfect way to be taken advantage of. The company doesn't care about you. Never believe that it does.

I don't support my company. I provide my services to them and get paid well in return. In no way do I feel "grateful" for my employment with them. If they don't want to pay my asking, I go somewhere else.

I never got the mentality of people who never grow beyond their potential simply because they are addicted to the feel-good peanuts their company throws them. I've SEEN these supposed FAMILY companies first hand. One it particular. Everyone was family for decades. I have to hand it to the owners though. Keeping up that secret for that long, funneling money oversees, screwing the pensions, and never looking back. All the retirees with the quiver lip "I thought we were family???" Even foxes smile...tough lesson.
It does not matter the kind of company that you are working for. They hired you for your time. They are paying you for your time. If they ask you to do something with the time that they are paying for then why should it be a problem to you?

we are not talking about a company tossing you a bone once in a while. We are not talking about the chance to move up within a company. We are not talking about pensions because I don't know any companies that offer them anymore.

You talk about providing your service to the company and they paying you for that service. The OP was talking about people working in a shop taking a little time to clean up the shop. The OP was talking about asking the employees to help with the process. It would seem that the work would go faster if more people were helping out. The OP was talking about having a company leader, if I remember correctly, visiting the shop and just wanting to have the place a little more presentable. Employees need to take pride in their work and in their work area. I don't see anything wrong with jumping in to help with the process. I bet it would have been something that would have been completed really quick.

You talk about getting paid for your service, the employees would have been paid the same. Why would it matter what role they were taking while they were at work?

Old 09-24-2015, 10:16 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
What's the incentive to hire another worker when I can get $50/hr employee to push the broom, mop the floor, clean the toilet, make my coffee, fix the computer, etc...
The OP did not mention if the shop had people that clean the shop or not. Where I work we clean our own shop area. I don't see it as that hard of thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment