Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 10:40 PM

908 posts, read 961,081 times

Advertisements

i'm having my exit interview this week. should i be honest and say why i'm really leaving (issues with supervisor) or should i just continue with what i've been saying "seeking better opportunities, etc)" I keep asking HR what they will do with the form I fill out but they won't answer. I don't want to burn any bridges. My supervisor thinks we have a great relationship and would probably give me a great reference in the future. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 10:43 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Say better opportunity and maintain an invaluable reference.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:29 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Up to you but what purpose does it serve to badmouth anyone on the way out, unless it involved serious threat to health or life?

I've never said anything negative on any of my exit interviews, even if I felt bad about the reasons that made me leave the company. What good does that do?

How many times have I said that HR is not your friend, never was, never will be?

Hey, if it makes people feel good about themselves to let it all out, by all means, do so.

But we've already had threads in the past where people were upset they didn't have a chance for an exit interview, majority of us said forget about it, and then these people got all upset about it.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:05 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I agree with the above posters. Spouting off, even nicely, may make you feel better, but it will do absolutely nothing to correct the situation -- and it will hurt your chances of getting good references as well. And dont believe anyone who tells you that what you say in an exit interview will be confidential.

I worked with many people who didnt believe that. Be it ego or ignorance, they thought their comments would result in changes after they left. Never once did it do that.

For the most part, executives stick together, even if they know one of their own is incompetent or a liability. And HR is never to be trusted at all.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:50 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Take the "it's not you, it's me" way of getting out of the relationship.

"This was an opportunity to grow my career in a way that I couldn't pass up" is a good line to use. As this is an exit interview you're well past the "what can we do to make you stay" conversation so just smile, shake hands and move on.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:24 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times
I worked P/T for Enterprise Rent a Car, and had to give notice after watching people getting ripped off with getting charged for cars that were already damaged, and watching them put people in unsafe cars, and unsafe people (under the influence) on the road......they wanted an exit interview.....I declined.....they insisted....so I gave them my honest thoughts on how management was handling the above issues, as we are talking ethics, morals, and public safety. I then, 2 years later, re-applied at a different location, and never got an interview....now mind you, of the 6 years I was working there, I had excellent reviews and raises, was praised by customers for going above and beyond, and yet, I feel I've been Black Listed for speaking up. So, if you want to burn a bridge, let them know the truth......oh, yeah....the manager is still there to this day, still pulling the same crap.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:23 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
DO NOT burn bridges. I was tempted to burn bridges when I left a company many years ago, but opted to keep my mouth shut about some issues that had bothered me. They were not the reasons I left, but I could have talked about them in my exit interview as being a concern.

18 months later they called me out of the blue to offer me a better job - and I took it. I know that if had I burned bridges during my exit interview, they would NOT have called me. I ended up staying in the new position for five years and was quite happy (the only reason I left the second time was because I wanted a shorter commute once I had kids).

Old 09-22-2015, 07:38 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
There is 2 possibilities.

1. Being Honest
2. Preserving a good relationship.

You should probably do a combination of things. Questions like "will you work for this company again" "How would you rate the benefits" "How would you rate this and that"

When you interview for positions you want to say that you can work with just about any-one so saying you had a problem with a supervisor might work against you.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:31 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
Advice?
"Bye Felicia!"

Old 09-22-2015, 08:48 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Just say you got a better opportunity. There is no real benefit to you to badmouth your former boss and it will sour the relationship which will make it tougher to come back in the future especially if the new job turns out to be a train wreck and could jeopardize your reference.

Companies almost never give honest feedback (or any) to candidates about why they weren't hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment