Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:23 PM

229 posts, read 381,426 times

Advertisements

Personally I don't want you in healthcare at all if you can't feel empathy at all for adults. There is a difference between preference in working with a certain age group and your outlook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 12:26 PM

84 posts, read 175,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwalas View Post
You don't want the icky jobs or dealing with adults.
You don't want to work crazy hours.
You don't want a hard job.

But...you want to make a lot of money?

Let that sink in for a moment.
I was reading a post yesterday, it was a guy saying his mother couldn't find work. But she won't work in an office because of the politics, isn't in good enough health to do any sort of manual labor, doesn't really enjoy working with people and isn't great with math/numbers so she decided to retire early instead... okay then.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:44 PM

377 posts, read 667,792 times
Just finish nursing school! You have years to figure out the rest...and you may surprise yourself.

If you met me a few years back you would think how the hell is this woman going to be a nurse? I do NOT have a touchy feely or particularly warm personality AT ALL. I was BURNED out from working in the social service field and really hating people. Most of my friends/acquaintances laughed when they heard what I was planning. I decided to become a nurse so that I could continue on to becoming a nurse practitioner and have a secure future. NOT because I had a calling for nursing or any of that happy crap...

But guess what? During this journey I have DEVELOPED a lot of compassion. The rest can be learned...you just "fake it until you make it". Now I am a good nurse and on my way to becoming a nurse practitioner. If your passion is babies then you either become a NICU nurse or maybe you want to become a certified nurse midwife and CATCH babies or become a pediatric nurse practitioner. The world is yours. You are young and have a lot of options.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:49 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,688,291 times
Being passionate about babies is not odd for a 21-year-old, LOL. That's peak fertility time, and it's perfectly natural to start feeling maternal urges in your early 20s. That's not to say that it's the right time for many or most to have children, but it's definitely nothing unusual.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,379,928 times
Human Resources - HR.

Seriously - check out this major or minor.

Your lack of empathy and compassion might help you cope in HR when it's time to fire people and lay them off. You could really focus on the factual part of it.

HR folks usually work standard business hours.

The fact that you had medical training would be a good because HR gets involved in picking health insurance carriers and you might get involved in picking health plans and dealing with medical leave of absence forms. Also HR deals with creating open positions, interviewing people, background checks, administering requests for drug screenings, training staff on HR related topics, 401k plan choices, vacation policy, leave of absence, etc.

Also actuary could be good for you. Especially in a medical insurance carrier or workers comp insurance carrier since your med background could come into play. Although any insurance would be good.

Also consider librarian. Almost every county in the US has a library system, plus cities, towns, schools all have them. The pay is decent. Might need a masters degree.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:52 PM

11,118 posts, read 7,858,654 times
Mushroom farmer ... You could sit in the dark with your mushrooms and watch them grow.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:48 PM

69 posts, read 75,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Human Resources - HR.

Seriously - check out this major or minor.

Your lack of empathy and compassion might help you cope in HR when it's time to fire people and lay them off. You could really focus on the factual part of it.

HR folks usually work standard business hours.

The fact that you had medical training would be a good because HR gets involved in picking health insurance carriers and you might get involved in picking health plans and dealing with medical leave of absence forms. Also HR deals with creating open positions, interviewing people, background checks, administering requests for drug screenings, training staff on HR related topics, 401k plan choices, vacation policy, leave of absence, etc.

Also actuary could be good for you. Especially in a medical insurance carrier or workers comp insurance carrier since your med background could come into play. Although any insurance would be good.

Also consider librarian. Almost every county in the US has a library system, plus cities, towns, schools all have them. The pay is decent. Might need a masters degree.
Librarian is not a bad idea - I'm a librarian and not passionate about my job at all (I'm retiring next year). My advice would be to find a large public library that has a strong union (i.e. San Francisco) - or government work, which is what I do. The pay is surprisingly good. You do need a graduate degree, but there are a lot of online programs.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 14,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwalas View Post
You don't want the icky jobs or dealing with adults.
You don't want to work crazy hours.
You don't want a hard job.

But...you want to make a lot of money?

Let that sink in for a moment.
I don't have a problem with icky jobs or dealing with adults. I also don't mind hard jobs. However, I can't work with adults in a way that requires compassion like nursing does. A decent paying job that doesn't require crazy hours shouldn't be such a crazy dream.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Passionate about babies? That's strange coming from a 21 year old. Please do not have any until after you find a career, have graduated and are married.

If you are interested in travel, why don't you become a flight attendant? The salary in not amazing, but the travel benefits are good. Time share sales is another idea.

I think you should finish college, whatever you do.

Accounting, if you enjoy working with numbers, is another idea proposed by other posters. Most accountants that I have known are not particularly passionate about accounting.
Radiological techs do not work that intensely and intimately with patients. That's another idea.

Pediatric Nurse Practioner- for this you need 4 years of college with a BA in anything. Pre-requisites are Anatomy and Physiology I and II, and medical terminology. You probably have these. You function independently (perhaps not at first) treat and diagnose patients and write prescriptions. I actually think this is a good idea for you!

You then entire a masters program for two years - and earn from $75 - 100K upon graduation. More, in some areas of the country.

Since you want children, this would be better than becoming a doctor. Much shorter program, and the schedule is more consistent with child bearing and your biological clock. No residency after the two years. You may go directly to work.

ETA - there is no bedside care involved with NP work.You function essentially as a pediatrician.
I've always loved babies and I've gotten a lot of experience caring for them. I don't see how that's odd for a 21 year old female. In my opinion, it unnatural and odd when young females don't like babies. But I'm not stupid enough to have one just because I like them.

I've considered becoming a nurse practitioner but I feel that the strength of nurse practitioners comes from years of nursing experience that I wouldn't be able to get through if I was on an adult unit.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocokitty View Post
Librarian is not a bad idea - I'm a librarian and not passionate about my job at all (I'm retiring next year). My advice would be to find a large public library that has a strong union (i.e. San Francisco) - or government work, which is what I do. The pay is surprisingly good. You do need a graduate degree, but there are a lot of online programs.
I actually looked into that because those tests that suggest careers for you always suggest librarian. I'm afraid librarians won't be around Ina few years though will all the new technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment