Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:20 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,714 times

Advertisements

I am a mom that travels a fair bit for my work and I have recently hired a SAHM who wants to work outside her home a few hours a week to help me.

She comes in and tidies and cleans, as well as preparing veggies and some crock pot meals (ready to be dropped in) for 5-8hours a week, usually over 2 days. She helps with laundry, changes the beds and basically anything that needs doing.

This has worked far better for us than a biweekly cleaning service, and I can't help thinking that there is a business idea here.

What do others think? Would you hire someone who wanted flexible hours to help you with the things you didn't have time/desire to do? Maybe a grandma to bake?

It just seems like there are lots of talents out there that some of us don't possess that others could make money off of, and starting a small company to offer these services (maybe retired men as handymen?).

I'm curious about what others might think?

(And before anyone goes there, I'm not talking about other "wifely" duties, so please don't hijack!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 03:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Do you mean something along these lines?

https://www.taskrabbit.com/how-it-works

Old 09-22-2015, 03:41 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

We used this service at our home for some handiwork. Was pleased with the results would use again.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:50 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
There are people out there doing that now. Personal assistants you can hire by the hour to run errands etc. or personal chefs that will cook meals. The handyman I use now was laid off in the recession and reinvented himself as a handyman. There is usually a two week wait to get him, he's that busy.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Yes, that's similar (although on a much grander scale

Old 09-22-2015, 04:00 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
I love your idea. I so wish I had a wife. Or something along the lines of a mother's helper...I still want control, I just can't handle all of the domestic work + a f/t job.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:20 PM

I guess I was thinking something a little more regular than Angie's list. Basically a list of all the things someone could do and the person hiring could prioritize the use of the 4 - 8 - 12 hours a week they signed up for.

Cleaning
Laundry
Ironing
Changing and washing linens
Food prep (washing and cutting veggies)
Making lunches
Minor sewing and repairs

Perhaps even drop off and pick up of kids. There are services that do child care but we don't have bus service where we live so our daughter who is too young to drive sometimes needs picking up from the bus.

I could see an "ad hoc" service list as well (Christmas lights, repair, eaves troughs etc) but I don't know that it would be ongoing.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:04 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
just call it what it is, you want a maid... so hire one?

for some reason millennials want to reinvent the wheel? sure taskrabbit sounds nice, but at the end oof the day they are just doing what the wealthy has done, hiring a maid/butler/gardner/cook/etc...

Old 09-22-2015, 06:51 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
So basically you want to hire a woman that would help you with household tasks.

Hire recent immigrants and illegals, they really care about doing a good job !

Old 09-22-2015, 07:50 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
So basically you want to hire a woman that would help you with household tasks.
Hire recent immigrants and illegals, they really care about doing a good job !

Why would you suggest hiring illegals? If this wasn't a joke, you are part of the huge problem in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment