Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 09:29 AM

305 posts, read 724,057 times

Advertisements

I graduated 2 years ago with a technical degree in graphic and web design.

Basically 6 months after I sent required paperwork I get a call from my counselor stating that her supervisor had some concerns about my career decision and refused to open my case and give me accommodations (bus pass, job placement, college tuition) until I finish a career evaluation. I finished the career evaluation and here are my results.

**Web Design**

* 8.9% job growth
* Average wage is $27 per hour

**Graphic design**

* 7% job growth
* Average wage: $22.47 per hour

**Billing and posting clerk**

* 16.1% job growth
* $17.32 per hour average

**Veterinary assistant and technician **

* 1% job growth
* $10 per hour average

**Dog and pet groomer**

* 27.7% job growth
* $10.86 per hour average

My interest was initially graphic and web design, but the job growth is so abysmal and too competitive that I couldn't find work. I felt I was better off with something else that has a better outlook.

To get to the point, I'm tired of wasting years of my life trying to find a career only to find that I'd stand no chance of work going that path. People have told me to find my passion, but my passion only ended up with a terrible job outlook and crap growth rate.

I impulsively told the counselor that id like to go office clerk but I haven't done enough research to make this decision final. The job sounds like something I'm capable of, but I'm afraid of getting bored with the job months down the road. I can't function well in boring and repetitive jobs, and I have a low frustration tolerance.

I liked being a vet assistant and pet groomer since I love animals. But vet assistants outlook seems even worse and pet groomers, I'm afraid of making mistakes. Pet grooming sounds fun, but that would mean standing for hours which I can't do.

My major problem is that I don't know how to pick a job I'll be happy with when I don't know if x job is the right one. I don't know if I'll be happy with X job. I fear I'll regret my decision and be back to square one. How do I know if this job will be for me?

So right now I don't know how to make a decision. What's the best way to make the right career choice?

For those who are dog groomers, billing and posting clerks, vet assistants. Tell me about your jobs. What it's like? Anything that would help me consider these careers more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 09:36 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post

My major problem is that I don't know how to pick a job I'll be happy with when I don't know if x job is the right one. I don't know if I'll be happy with X job. I fear I'll regret my decision and be back to square one. How do I know if this job will be for me?
That's the trick.

It's very difficult to tell if you'll like a job without actually working it. However, it's almost impossible to enter that job and even do an internship unless you have a significant amount invested in it, such as a degree.http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=41351481

Since some of the jobs you listed don't have degree requirements, I might try them to see how you like them for a while.

Honestly, most people have this problem, just pick something, and just kind of do it.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:52 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
**Web Design**
* 8.9% job growth
* Average wage is $27 per hour

Web Design is a category of Graphic Design. This data is for entering the field. It will depend on your skills. The Web-portal I am developing right now, you will need know CSS, HTML and JavaScript to be able to do webdesign there and those are programming languages. CSS internships pay $25/h.

I did not go to college to do this job. This is a low paying dead end job worthy of really dumb person.
**Billing and posting clerk**
* 16.1% job growth
* $17.32 per hour average

Old 09-27-2015, 11:31 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
The trades (things like plumbing, HVAC, etc) can pay well. Degrees requiring the hard sciences and/or upper division math (nursing, some types of engineering) can pay well.

Stuff that is mostly creative and that doesn't require hours and hours of study or back-breaking labor just isn't going to pay as well in this economy.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:39 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
7% or 8.9% job growth is phenomenal. Our economy grows at less than 4% annually, so these fields are growing 2-3 times as fast as average industries.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:44 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
Quote:
The trades (things like plumbing, HVAC, etc) can pay well. Degrees requiring the hard sciences and/or upper division math (nursing, some types of engineering) can pay well.
One thing is that youtube is making DIY a lot easier...

I've been doing my own car repairs on minor things that I would have taken to shop before... I do my own air duct cleaning because the "pro" wanted $600... I do my own furnace/car tuneups

one thing people don't take into account is that technology is making it a lot easier to do these easier, the builds are easier too. Outside of electronics in cars and such things that require a computer, a lot of the mechanic systems are easier now. Since people don't rebuild a washer motor when it goes out, they unscrew the entire thing, and replace the whole motor. That doesn't take a lot of "skills" and even I can do that, which the hired guy would have done too because he doesn't rebuild parts.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:51 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
One thing is that youtube is making DIY a lot easier...

I've been doing my own car repairs on minor things that I would have taken to shop before... I do my own air duct cleaning because the "pro" wanted $600... I do my own furnace/car tuneups

one thing people don't take into account is that technology is making it a lot easier to do these easier, the builds are easier too. Outside of electronics in cars and such things that require a computer, a lot of the mechanic systems are easier now. Since people don't rebuild a washer motor when it goes out, they unscrew the entire thing, and replace the whole motor. That doesn't take a lot of "skills" and even I can do that, which the hired guy would have done too because he doesn't rebuild parts.
Allot of DYI repairs need special equipment and a way to store it. I am leasing a new car, so I just have to take it to the dealership once in a while. I think it's 39.99 for the oil change, the rest is covered by warante

Old 09-27-2015, 01:55 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
car tools, I borrow from autozone, it's free and well, they get me in the store so I buy parts from them....

same with other tools, get creative and "return" it to craigslist by reselling for what you bought it for
Use Craigslist to 'Store' Your Unused Stuff Until You Need It

yes I don't have a table saw, but I get lowes/home depot to cut it for me if I bring specs in for project when I buy the wood. Then all I need is to nail it together

Old 09-27-2015, 02:27 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,961 times
Wrong. We work to pay bills and if we choose well we get extra to afford some of the more expensive things in life. Select the area you must live in and determine the cost of living in that area. Select the work that will allow you to afford that area and qualify yourself for that work. Avoid falling victim to the myths of boredom and happy. That stuff has nothing to do with work. Do your own research for job prospects. Avoid excessive student debt with low paying jobs. Also consider higher paying technical jobs and being self employed. Study the [i]SBA small business administration aids for the self employed. Beware that many colleges and counselors will not provide correct information.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:05 PM

344 posts, read 550,974 times
It's way better to work for yourself if you can. You get to keep all the money instead of taking a small piece to advance someone else's fortunes. And if you want to switch careers or grow into something else you can do it at your own pace.

Try looking for gigs on the tech piece-job sites or on CL Gigs, you might find a client that will love your work and ask for more. Build a few of those relationships and you might find yourself working on a balcony overlooking a beach in Bali one morning.

I agree that colleges aren't necessarily the best resource. They have a strong interest in selling more training, and academia is full of self-referential "knowledge" which doesn't relate well to the real world. As Mark Twain said, roughly, A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment